R.A.T.1 R.A.D2 project

Starting a thread for a project. Taking CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. R.A.T 1 Revised: Assisted, D2. Since I cant buy or order what I want, I've decided to assemble it. The only part I can see that will need modification will be the D2 blade(to add pin for spring assist) all other parts "should" be plug and play. End goal is a waved (snaggletooth) , spring assisted (for the times when "waving" it out may not be "socially appropriate"), deep carry (bm contego clip), D2 ,satin, serrated, tan G10. Before it all starts...Yes I am aware that: 1) frankensteining a knife like this voids all warranties, 2) I could have bought any of thousands of other knives that have these features for what I'm spending to do this, 3)I'm gonna catch some hate for this. If Ontario had a custom shop, like most of their competitors do, this would be both easier and cheaper(knowing my luck, before all the parts get in, they will release this as a production knife, AND open a custom shop)

this sounds like an interesting challenge, do you have a diagram of how the assist will be installed?

Starting a thread for a project. Taking CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. R.A.T 1 Revised: Assisted, D2. Since I cant buy or order what I want, I've decided to assemble it. The only part I can see that will need modification will be the D2 blade(to add pin for spring assist) all other parts "should" be plug and play. End goal is a waved (snaggletooth) , spring assisted (for the times when "waving" it out may not be "socially appropriate"), deep carry (bm contego clip), D2 ,satin, serrated, tan G10. Before it all starts...Yes I am aware that: 1) frankensteining a knife like this voids all warranties, 2) I could have bought any of thousands of other knives that have these features for what I'm spending to do this, 3)I'm gonna catch some hate for this. If Ontario had a custom shop, like most of their competitors do, this would be both easier and cheaper(knowing my luck, before all the parts get in, they will release this as a production knife, AND open a custom shop)

For the record assist and wave probably aren’t going to be going very well together. But if you must do it then let us know how it went!

What are you going to use to drill the blade?
Ive got a buddy with a shop space. Drill press, decent bits, plenty of lube.

this sounds like an interesting challenge, do you have a diagram of how the assist will be installed?
Im lazy, really its a blade swap from one rat to another, i probably just made it sound complicated.☺

For the record assist and wave probably aren’t going to be going very well together. But if you must do it then let us know how it went!
This would be my first wave+assisted knife. Ive had plenty of assisted knives over the years, but I just started dealing with my own diy wave mods. I opted for the snaggletooth, rather than grinding on the blade for this project"just in case " i dont like it or it gives me problems.
Thanks.

Parts are (mostly) in!! Waiting on some deep carry clips, and some custom printed bits.
Notes: the g10 scales are the way to go, almost sandpaper like. Carbon fiber is WAY to slick for my taste, flat and smooth as glass.FRN is smooth and needs stipple, but the g10 is perfect. D2 flattened my centerpunch, drilling it is gonna be a chore, but hoping to get it done in the next couple days.

Now... if only i could figure out how to upload pictures...

Oos7IQV.jpg

This was easy and works. But it is aus 8.

To post pictures, Use Imgur and upload your pictures there. Then copy the pictures link and come back here. Then click this icon....
Q36IXYC.jpg

And paste the link in the space

Update
Backspacers have shipped(due in monday) , found a shop to drill hole in D2($10) , still waiting on pocket clips. May be done with this project faster than i thought.
Snaggletooth tumbstud is 3/16" hex nut and a 2mm allen screw. May find a rounder option. It does not accept the factory stud heads. The product seems to be of quality. Time will tell.

Update
Backspacers have shipped(due in monday) , found a shop to drill hole in D2($10) , still waiting on pocket clips. May be done with this project faster than i thought.
Snaggletooth tumbstud is 3/16" hex nut and a 2mm allen screw. May find a rounder option. It does not accept the factory stud heads. The product seems to be of quality. Time will tell.
The Snaggletooth MF is a quality product, I've used them on knives since the company started when I happened upon their first YouTube video.

Back