R.I.P. Brian Lyttle

Wow. Thanks for letting us know. Probably one of the best movies ever made (my favorite) and a great knife maker. It was The Edge that started my love for the clip point blade shape.

He also featured in the movie, no major role, but still.

RIP!

edgpic6.jpg

Damn... Too bad.

I took a course in pattern welding from Brian at an agricultural college back in the late '80's. I still have that knife.

Dang, tough news. I loved the movie and the knife, too. It's actually a bucket list thing for me, to find one someday.

~Chris

May he rest in peace.

Condolences to his family and friends.

I enjoyed that one movie, watched it many times and donated it to my library.

Mr. Lyttle led a very interesting life!

Cate

So sorry to hear of this, I became an aquaintance of Brian over a few weekends at the Ashokan Seminar that he would come and lecture on

When he was in that movie "The Edge" he was a bit heavier and had discovered a better way of eating and lost a great deal of weight and stemmed off diabetes too I believe.

A photo taken on set of "The Edge" you can see that he was quite a bit heavier here

edgpic6 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

edgcm6 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

at Ashokan, here he was doing a lecture on engraving

Brian_Lyttle_2008 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0769 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0764 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and some pretty fancy workmanship right there

by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

a grand sense of humour he had about him. One year he brought a knife he made for a lecture and during the weekend he held a drawing for it, but instead of picking ONE person to win out of the names we tossed in the hat, he did it in reverse, as he drew a name, he'd call it out and say "Loser!" lol and proceed to draw the next name and also adding that the person was also a loser...until he got down to the very last name in the hat...THEN that person won the knife, nice way to keep the tension alive and have people pay close attention to the drawing!

He will be greatly missed...

G2

edited to add that those that are a fan of the movie, Brian got a stand in part, you can just make him out as the plane is tied up to the dock when the group gets to the lake hotel...Brian said, IF you watch the wide screen version :)

Last edited:
Wow that is sad news and unfortunately I found this thread ten minutes too late. Just sent an email to his website info email address asking about a couple of knives including maybe a custom one. Boy don't I feel like an idiot.

I was thinking of him this morning as Ashokan Seminar is coming up soon, Sept 16-18 and then a guy at church this morning stopped by where I was sitting waiting for my wife and he said 'you won't be drinking any of my coffee if I leave it here while go to the restroom will you?' I looked up and smiled, as he was the spitting image of Brian, hat and all, to which I said 'I won't drink enough for you to notice' and smiled.

He is missed, a lively man he was with a very sharp wit about him too.
G2

Back