R.J. Martin Knives for your viewing pleasure, and commentary

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Hey all,

I just got the Wasabi via FedEx yesterday. R.J. Martin is one of those knifemakers that I do not know ( I met him 3 or 4 times at shows in the last 20 years) personally, but I have been following his work for a long time.

20 years ago, he was making very nice "standard" folders and fixed blades, excellent quality, medium prices. The two pieces below represent current work that I feel is unique, excellent quality, also at medium prices. Not giving it away, but not pricing it out of the realm of the "average" collector either.

The Wasabi is different from his "Standard" model in that it is a 6" double ground S3V blade, real Japanese Silk cord wrap, and has two of the dragon menuki, one on each side. The wood lined, carbon wrapped, magnet loaded sheath is a work of art in and of itself, and fits the knife perfectly.

The Avenger is not the usual recurve blade, I liked his spearpoint better for this model. The blade is satin S30V. The knife has no clip, the scales are Silver G-10, and no machining on the scales, they are smooth.

I really like his work very much. Both knives were ordered on 10/3. His delivery estimates were a little optomistic, but his communication skills via e-mail are quite good. He is fairly difficult to get on the phone. I got the Avenger first, on 10/28/04.

As I said in previous posts, I like the knives of people that I have a friendship with the best, but these pieces are intriguing, and original, and I find that they represent exactly, the types of quality work that I want in my collection.

I know that the pictures are crappy, 'cause I have to scan this at work and there is only so much that I can do with scans in PhotoShop, but I would like to hear commentary, and if you do not like the knives, let me know why.

It won't change how I feel about them, but it may give me a different perspective for future buying decisions.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Danbo

Platinum Member
Ooops, now you've gone and done it. R.J.'s knives are addictive. You're hooked now. :)

Seriously sweet knives ya got there.

Les Robertson

BANNED
RJ is one of the best. His blade designs and grinds are unique. So much so that Blade Magazine put his Vanguard Rampage on the current issue's cover!

Congrats RJ.

How come I'm never the first to get Blade?
Anyway, an R.J. Martin knife was my first custom. One of his older ones when he was still using A2 steel. Been hooked ever since. Talk about shaving sharp.

And, a great guy.

RJ Martin is a value added knifemaker.

You wont get flashy marketing or hype.

Just very well executed, scary sharp knives that will last a long time.

I say "value added" because his knives are worth much more than you will pay.

That Wasabi looks sweet! I want to get a fixed blade in S3V, I guess I know who to check out now.

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Which is to say that the tanto will rust very quickly without attention, if it ever gets used, which this one will not, not during my lifetime.

Anthony, the thing that I really like about the style of work on R.J.'s fixed blades, is that Phil Hartsfield may have started this "Japanese-Style Tactical" thing first (I do believe he did), but quite simply, R.J. does a MUCH better job, with more elegance and attention to detail, at a significantly, as mentioned with the "value added" lower cost.

These are utilitarian works of craft, elevated to artisanal creations. Big words, simple concept, the guy ROCKS!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Your fixed is in S3V right or did i read that wrong? I heard 3V is Super tough and has an excellent retention. Nice score!

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
It's just that S30V is the "Steel du Jour", and I did not want you to misunderstand.
There is not a lot of difference between A2 and S3V at the "knife level", except that S3V is tougher due to a much higher amount of vanadium. For most of us, it is just another cool steel to have in the collection.

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

Thanks for the clarification,
Im all for S3V I've read alot about it lately, I wish more people where using it.
Have a Happy Holiday!

RL

Sory do you mean CPM 3V? I have a Kwaiken in 3V...

standard.jpg

RJ is one of my favourite knifemakers for sure.

RL

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
It is indeed CPM3V.

RL, What is the blade length on the Kwaiken?

Nice knife.

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The quality of these pieces is matched by the integrity of RJ himself. You won't find anyone more dedicated and satisfying to deal with.

Both exceptional choices. I've yet to hunger for the flavor of the Japanese knives, but that's no matter. I see the differences, and Steve, you are right!

Coop

billf

Platinum Member
I agree completely with all of the above. I have a bunch of RJs knives from an early M2 hunter with a burl-wood handle, to an early tanto to a brand new folder. Every one incredibly sharp, and all more than worth the $. RJ had an unbelievable sword at the recent NY show - I think it was S30v, but might have been 3v - think of the Kwaiken at some 30 odd inches!!

Bill

LaBella

←JerzeeDevil→
R.J. Martin makes an awesome product! :cool: :)

I have an Avenger and love it! :cool:

RL

Kohai999 said:
It is indeed CPM3V.

RL, What is the blade length on the Kwaiken?

Nice knife.

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

Thanks...the specs are: 5.5” blade of CPM3V, double zero ground, Japanese cord-wrap over seagreen rayskin with a sterling silver bat menuki, mahogany sheath covered in carbon fiber and embedded with rare earth magnets

RL

Nice man! Met him @ NYCKS. Sorta interrupted him while he was fixing a folder and i quickly apologized and left. Need to get an Avenger!

FrankDL

Gold Member
In my opinion, R.J. Martin's knives are without a doubt the sharpest of any knives that I have ever owned, and also the ones that I continually kick myself in the ass for ever selling off! I've had the distinct pleasure of having his S30V Mayhem, a 5" Wasabi in 3V, and a spectacular 8" Tanto in 3V. If there ever came a time that I needed to choose one knife that I knew I had to depend on to save my bacon, it would read "R.J. Martin" on the blade!

Here's a pic of the Tanto I still regret letting go of:

martintanto.jpg

Double ground 8" CPM 3v. Dragon on one side, bat on the other! Spectacular!

GargageBoy...you've got some great knives there! Congrats, and never let 'em go!

Best,
Frank

Whoa, there, I DON'T have any of his work. Wish I did though and I'll try to save up for the March ECCKS