R. Mfg. Co. Very Best Connecticut axe (WIP)

R. Mfg. Co. Very Best (Connecticut) axe (78)

I've never heard of this company before. If anyone knows anything about it let me know. Found this Connecticut at a barn sale this past weekend for $2.

aside from rust and a small chip in the heel of the bit, it is in really nice (seemingly unused) condition. The slightly rounded poll reminds me of my Collins legitimus CT but maybe is just a feature of some of the CTs in general.

wire wheel cleanup.

some light bastard file work (needed to cycle through a few files as some of them just skipped off) and arkansas stones and then a 1200 grit bester waterstone

still needs some edge work but it's a start.

thanks for looking

That's a real beauty Coop :)

I'll look in 'Axe Makers' tomorrow and see what I can come up with about the maker ;)

It's a Connecticut axe from Connecticut.
2 bucks is a steal.

Rogers Manufacturing Co.,
New Hartford, Conn.

1_ea4185423dcb8ebe94b77a7b7140d820.jpg

1_ea4185423dcb8ebe94b77a7b7140d820.jpg

photos from WorthPoint

Below is a photo of a 1913 invoice from Rogers Mfg. Co. (New Hartford, Conn) that says they are "Manufacturers of Scythes, Scythe Snaths, Scythe Stones, Hand Hay Rakes, Grass Hooks, Corn Hooks, and Axes".

It also says that "Rogers Axes are the Best, and our Handled Axes are hung to chop with, not stuck on."

$T2eC16R,!)cE9s4PtIH6BRRHmYj-Eg~~60_57.JPG

[photo from expired auction listing]

Man great info here the whole way around. Great pics, info, etc. I was thinking Roberts at first, but Steve always brings the info, and it is much appreciated as always. Nice score Coop, and a hell of a restore as well!

handle and bit need more work but got this hung tonight. Didn't get as much wedge in as I wanted or should say the wedge I selected wasn't thick enough. I hope it will hold.

Looking good cooper, is that a nick still in the edge two pics up? :confused:

It's more of a micro nick at this point. I did some more work with diamond hones and 1200 and 6000 grit waterstones. Edge is good and stood up to some initial trials of chopping and splitting.

I am posting this here, as I was searching the forum threads to ID this $1 R mfg Very Best (32) garage sale score I picked up last Saturday morning...while my wife thought I was out running errands :)
kT6x5aj.jpg

IgeF2FN.jpg

FxYP6Xr.jpg

I am pretty siked to have found this New Hartford CT made Connecticut here in my home state of CT! I only grew up and live but half an hour from New Hartford!! Basically the neighbor to Collins in Collinsville!!

So much history here in my home state...CT!!

Thank you to the OP and to Steve for this thread and it's information!!

Miller from CT

I am posting this here, as I was searching the forum threads to ID this $1 R mfg Very Best (32) garage sale score I picked up last Saturday morning...while my wife thought I was out running errands :)
kT6x5aj.jpg

IgeF2FN.jpg

FxYP6Xr.jpg

I am pretty siked to have found this New Hartford CT made Connecticut here in my home state of CT! I only grew up and live but half an hour from New Hartford!! Basically the neighbor to Collins in Collinsville!!

So much history here in my home state...CT!!

Thank you to the OP and to Steve for this thread and it's information!!

Miller from CT
Nice axe.
I wonder what significance the 78 is?

...maybe I don't have a Connecticut pattern?
The pole has been abused, enough so that even I noticed and wonder if I can or should try a method to restore that or just use it as is?
I have my assumptions about the (78) and the 32 stamped on the shoulder...I haven't measured (but will), however the handle seems it may be 32" long.
I may head out to the garage shortly to measure, if I do I will post.
Who am I kidding...I will grab a tasty beverage for the long walk ha ha :)

...maybe I don't have a Connecticut pattern?
The pole has been abused, enough so that even I noticed and wonder if I can or should try a method to restore that or just use it as is?
I have my assumptions about the (78) and the 32 stamped on the shoulder...I haven't measured (but will), however the handle seems it may be 32" long.
I may head out to the garage shortly to measure, if I do I will post.
Who am I kidding...I will grab a tasty beverage for the long walk ha ha :)
The bigger three and the smaller two stamped under the poll means it's three and a half pounds.
I believe your axe is a Connie that just has a little wear to the toe.

That's what I was kinda thinking/hoping. It being the Connecticut pattern just makes it more home grown for me :)

Ya, I went out and stayed out much to late in the garage and the handle measured 28", so I knew I was barking up the wrong tree there.
I should have weighed it, that may have helped me figure the 3 2 on the shoulder.
Thank you Garry3!!

Back