Recommendation? Radius edge of glass platen?

I purchased a ceramic glass platen to slap on a piece of precision ground o1 tool steel, and then onto a mild steel piece of angle iron that is replacing the stock platen on my 2x42. I'm wondering how much I should radius the edges, and what's the safest way to go about it? I only have one so I want to get it right.

I dont exactly radius edges, more like break their sharpness using medium carburundum stone.

Anyone have a picture? Ive struggled to get a nice curve to my plunge and always have a steep wall up to the ricasso. Ive managed to feather back into the plunge to work a smooth line and curve but its very difficult to get them even this way as you can imagine. Hearing about a curved platen edge makes sense, so how much we talking??

Move belt little on side of plunge you work................... ? How will big radius on plate help to get better plunge I don t understand ?

Oh. I don't think there's any good way to get nice plunges by mimicking whatever platen edge you have (exception being lengthwise grinding). I also don't think you can get nice repeatable plunges by tracking the belt off and just hoping they happen. I can't. There's noticeable belt tension difference between the right edge of the belt and the left edge of the belt when tracked off each side.

I have to track off a bit and plunge cut the plunges, and sweep them. I don't know how else to describe it really. I break the edges on the glass platen because I just get more reliable/consistent results without a sharp edge.

i hang a 120grit j-flex belt about 1/8" or a hair more over the edge of the platen, when you push the plunge into it. it will bend over the edge and make a curve. the reason i would not radius my platen edges is because you will not be able to get a sharp 90 degree cut because now the edge now has a radius.

I just "break" the edge on a diamond belt or on a diamond lap. A fine or medium DMT diamond plate will work, too. Use plenty of water and go slow.

I break the edges with a slack worn 220 grit belt. I just slightly push the edges against the belt runnng about 30% Speed on my Hardcore 2 x 72” light passes until I see it’s a tad rounded at the edges 2-3 passes works for me.

Wonder if turning a belt inside out, then running it slow rpm, and applying slight pressure above and below platen to round it would do.

that should work john blazy, but i do not know what kind of radius you would end up with, and the top and bottom of the platen might have more radius than the center because those edges receive more pressure. it couldent hurt to glue some 1/4" wood on the platen and try it to see what it does.

Wonder if turning a belt inside out, then running it slow rpm, and applying slight pressure above and below platen to round it would do.

I do this for the top and bottom just so the belt does not run against a sharp edge . Since I have the KMG platen face I can change the angle so the belt only hits the top or bottom edge .

Thanks for all the tips guys. I just applied my glass to my platen, but I'm concerned because it doesn't look like I have 100% coverage of JB weld. Should I re-do it?

NO5VFCg.jpg

Back