Rain ponchos

Does anyone have a preferred type for keeping dry when the weather turns wet? A particular brand that performs quite well, or is particularly durable when compared to others on the market?

The modern USGI milsurp ponchos are quite good. They're made of a stout ripstop nylon and have snaps & grommets all around, which means they can also be used as a bivy sack and a tarp.

The milsurp ones are also very heavy compared to other ones. Do you plan on using it with a pack? the USGI ones work with a day-pack, or a more assault style pack where it doesn't come up behind your head, but not well at all for a 60L+ pack. Some of the boutique through hiker companies make pack fitting ponchos.
Maybe its just me, but I've not been able to get a poncho-tarp rigged in a way to much more than huddle under, they are just too small. For the same weight, I can carry a set of rain pants and jacket, and a 9'x9' tarp.

Does anyone have a preferred type for keeping dry when the weather turns wet? A particular brand that performs quite well, or is particularly durable when compared to others on the market?
Depends on your use?
(Yes, I realize, that you want it for when wet stuff is vertical).

Is it for just a casual stroll in the woods - most any cheapo commercial will do. Preferably one, that pack conveniently into a pocket.

For camping or hunting in a blind or the like where you will be more stationary than on the move, the MIL ones are fine.

For ultra minimalist hiking (above the treeline) - make your own out of Dyneema
https://thetrek.co/myog-make-your-own-ultralight-breathable-tarp-poncho/

I don't know if I have any favorites.... used to be gortex stuff. Now.... I don't wander around out in the rain very often and keep an umbrella inside each vehicle. But, hiking I generally carry the same sort of poncho or rain gear that I would carry stream fishing (trout) which is essentially an inexpensive disposable to semi-disposable type of poncho that folds small. If I wander on a trail in rainy weather, lately I have been carrying a Frog brand waist length rain jacket. Seems to work just fine. It is what I take on day hikes if I am not cramped for space.

Must admit, that I personally have no use for a poncho to be made out of Gore-Tex but thats just me - to each his own.

What ever works for you and all that jazz ...

Must admit, that I personally have no use for a poncho to be made out of Gore-Tex but thats just me - to each his own.
Me neither. In days gone by, it was gortex parkas, not ponchos. I never really was a fan of any poncho. I have a US Army poncho around if I want to use it. It's heavy. I would almost rather pull a trash large bag over my head as long as I have a hat.

Nope, not an arms-in-the-air fan either, but I have a few ponchos and they work.

I dont want to drag along a dedicated rain suit, I dont want a Gore-Tex or any other membrane jacket and I dont want a non-breathable plastic rain jacket when hiking.

I wear a light British smock with lots of pockets. In one large 'Napoleon-pocket' I carry a light no frills poncho, which I use when its raining. It doubles as a minimalistic tarp and has several other uses - not least as a seat etc.

It works.

Well, a standard poncho basically is like pulling a large trash bag over ones head:)
-

Hi! I normally carry a poncho, an old Ferrino, still in PVC. I find it very useful in different circumstances when hiking. For example, when facing sudden heavy rain, it protects also my backpack and, partly, legs when properly worn. Being bright yellow it might work as a high visibility vest, helping potential rescuers to locate my exact position. It also made my day several times when I used this as an improvised tarp (I have a nice enough tarp but, being on the “heavy” side, I normally only carry it when plan to spend some times bivouacking, not a usual carry for a walk in the woods or a casual one day hike).
2yW39.jpg

Normally the poncho for me is the outermost layer of my “clothing onion”:). Poncho, Gore-Tex shell (today a Patagonia), pile or micro pile wind-stopper fleece (depending on the season) and a short or long sleeve tech T-shirt (nylon/lycra fabric apparel, similar to those I use for running). Good to go almost everywhere :).

2yW3d.jpg
2yW3i.jpg

Herlock, it might be prudent to remove that Europa link in your sig before the MODs notice it - they arent too keen on politics in open forum.

Herlock, it might be prudent to remove that Europa link in your sig before the MODs notice it - they arent too keen on politics in open forum.

Hi! Actually nothing really "political", the link was more pointing out historical topics and some pride of mine in belonging to the cradle of civilization, but, if it is disturbing, it can go, no big loss. Thanks! Ciao.

Hi! Actually nothing really "political", the link was more pointing out historical topics and some pride of mine in belonging to the cradle of civilization, but, if it is disturbing, it can go, no big loss. Thanks! Ciao.
Merely a friendly reminder :)

U didnt get my knickers in a bunch.

But calling for a stop on immigrants is of course political.

Hi BladeScout BladeScout ! Thanks for this again. I'm talking this up to Tech Support so I can get the "official" response on this.
No problem.

Cant hurt to ask a MOD.

Im no MOD and it was only meant as friendly advice from a fellow forum member - you dont have to remove anything just on my say so.

Best of luck.

Back