Raker Fixed blade by Ray Kirk

I just received my Ray Kirk (Raker) fixed blade today. My first thoughts were "WOW, what a beauty - this thing is AWESOME!"
smile.gif

OAL is 7 3/8". Blade length is 3 7/8" with a 3 1/4" cutting edge. Ray hand forges his own 5 bar 52100 damascus steel - a sight to behold. The blade grinds on the knife are visually perfect. The knife edge was polished and deceivingly sharp!
smile.gif
There are small round torx head screws that are countersunk holding the stag scales on.(There is no gap anywhere between the blade and the scales so I can't tell if the stag is epoxied to the blade or not.) The stag grips combined with the damascus steel blade is an ageless combination. This knife screams to be handled and used hard.

The knife came with a simple, thin one piece Kydex sheath that has an integral clip built into it for either a belt or waist clip. It is held together with 5 blade rivets with a drain hole on the bottom. Ray's knife fits into the sheath with the precise amount of tension: not too tight so as to scratch, or so loose that it rattles.

I look forward to skinning some game with it next Fall, but I am sure that I will be testing it along the way!

I had first heard of Ray Kirk a little while back when Blues had done a review of one of his neck knives. I had bookmarked the URL for future reference. About a week ago, Blues gave me a HOT tip that Ray had two stag skinners that I may be interested in.
smile.gif

Let me tell you, I have to thank Blues for sharing this information and a picture of the two knives Ray had for sale. I wish I could have purchased the other knife as well.
frown.gif
This is the NICEST custom fixed blade that I own.
smile.gif

If any one is interested, take a peek at Ray Raker's website at: http://www.tah-usa.net/raker/ He is worth looking into! This knife was a STEAL for what I paid for it.

Thanks for reading this.

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 01-11-2000).]

Ray,

Glad you love the knife. It's a pleasure to introduce people to Ray Kirk's knives and see their reactions!
wink.gif

Here's a pic of Ray's new knife. (His is at the top.)

View

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

The knives with screws are not epoxied. They have a stainless steel pivot pin screws to hold the scales on. I do use pins and epoxy at times and it usually depends on the handle material.

------------------
Ray Kirk
www.tah-usa.net/raker

Congratulations on your new Raker knife, maddog. It's beautiful. I just e-mailed an order for one of Mr. Kirk's knives myself.
biggrin.gif
I chose the DAT damascus tanto with bone handles similar to the one shown on the website. I've heard nothing but good things about his work and he is a pleasure to deal with. Extremely friendly and helpful. Well, enjoy your knife!

MD,

Nice addition! Can I play with that sometime.
wink.gif
Mr. Raker, nice looking knives.
smile.gif

sing
AKTI #A000356

Good review & a truly beautiful knife, Ray. I know what you mean about it being deceivingly sharp. My Raker neck knife had the same type of polished edge. It wasn't "grabby" at all & I was very pleasantly surprised to see how sharp it really was when I tested it. As I said in my review, it split the thickness of bond paper easily, shaving away ribbons of paper w/o actually cutting though the sheet. Enjoy it!

BTW, Knave, I'm happy to learn that you ordered the DAT. I'm sure that you'll love it. Please be sure to share your impressions of it.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

aka Dagda the Insatiable, Member of the Terrible Ironic HORDE
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride."

Let's all of us Ray Kirk fans and friends think a good thought for Ray who has been under the weather of late.

He'd never say anything, but I'm figuring that a bunch of us sending good thoughts his way couldn't hurt.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Some Knife Pix

Big Tex purchased my sister knife from Ray Kirk!
smile.gif
His is the one on the bottom. I am glad that he was able to add that fine piece to his collection. It is always nice to know where all the family members are - she is in safe hands!
smile.gif

Thanks BT for giving that sweet damascus knife a new home - now go out and use that baby HARD!
smile.gif

Another happy RAKER customer! I am sure that won't be Big Tex' ONLY purchase. Blues, and Richard have me thinking of Lil' Blue neck knife at the moment.
frown.gif
bcaffrey's necker is VERY nice as well. Decisions, decisions?! LOL.....
biggrin.gif
!

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

Back