Ramp/Soak PID controller for Electric Kiln Build

If this has been posted before I do apologize but I have not been able to find it. We have a sticky for the PID setup for a gas forge but not for an electric oven so with the help of Jawilder. Jason drew the schematic for me and was a huge help in this project as I based it off on he had build using an old tool box. I too was going to use a tool box but my dad snag it when he saw I was going to cut up a new one so I condensed it and its probably more efficient this way as the fans can draft the air across the heatsinks better. So in the end we were both happy!

I purchased the sugar creek big knife oven 230v without the controller and used the links provided by Stacy to purchase the Auber ramp/soak PID as well as the 2 SSR's, 2 heatsinks with heatsink paste and some misc switches and plugs. The main reasons I purchased the Auber PID with ramp/soak are others here have and know how to operate it and at some point in my journey ramp/soak will be more useful to me so might as well get it now.

Here is the schematic Jason drew up which includes two fans that he wired in and sent me, Thanks bro! This is for the Auber SLY-2352P If you have a different PID the back of the inputs will probably not be the same but similar so be sure you hook up your PID according to the manufacturer specs.

AuberSYL-2352PDiagram-1.jpg

I stared by ripping a piece of plywood 5 1/8 wide and 20"s long which is 1/16 wider on each side of the heatsinks. Use the heatsink paste on the bottom of the SSR's and glue them to the heatsink. Then just screw them down.

20120723_142422.jpg

I began wiring up the inputs and outputs according to the schematic Jason made. If you are wondering why all the wire is the same color its because 1 I am colorblind and 2 its cheaper than buying another roll :p To cut down on splicing all the wires I cut them long and ran them in series using 12g wire through out with connectors. Just trace out each line and double check your work when done. In the pic below I went ahead and wired in an on/off switch that will prevent any power to the coils or the fans till I am ready for it.

20120723_190811.jpg

The fans I believe came from a dead computer and are DC so they need an AC to DC converter. You can buy AC fans like these that run on 110v and skip the converter all together but free is better! When you install the fans you want to make certain they are blowing in the same direction so they can draft the heat from the heatsinks out of the enclosure and keep things running cool. The grate is over the intake and I used a hole saw to cut out the opening. Once happy with the fit I pop rivet the fans in place. I wired in the pig tail for the fans to the 110v switch and ground. After that I checked the wiring and schematic twice more.

20120723_154511.jpg

20120723_203437.jpg

All that is left is to add the power cord and the thermocouple wire. I opted to use the thermocouple that came with the oven instead of drilling an second hole for another thermocouple as I dont want to mess the new oven up but later I may run another redundant probe. Make certain the cable you chose can handle the voltage you will be using. 10g cable is what I had on a broken extension cord so its what I used. Once everything is wired in check the wiring again then close up the box. After I test the controller I will added some metal trim and face plates but till we know it works we will hold off.

20120723_190922.jpg

20120723_203632.jpg

All that is left is to add the correct plug onto the power cable and plug it all in for a test run which will wait till tomorrow. I will also add a 110v outlet so I can use the contorller to run my toaster oven too. I will add the type K probe to the toaster oven and plug the oven in to the 110v outlet and we are good to go!

As to how to program and run the controller I dont yet know so more learning to do!

I hope you have enjoyed the build and thank you for reading this far. With Jason's help it was an easy build and I hope it helps others should they decide to add a PID to their HT oven or temper oven.

Last edited:
Is that PID a ramp/soak programable type, or a standard $40 PID controller? No problem if it is the basic unit, but you can't program it to run a multi-step HT program. You will have to manually change the temps as needed. If using it for simple carbon steels, it will work great, since there is usually only one temperature used.

Yes sir it is the ramp/soak 70 dollar unit. I purchased it over the other unit because at some point I will wish I had.

I used that ther google thang sum buddys ben mentioning alots bout! Seriously I do research a good bit before I do something but I understand just like the "best video ever" how many folks come through here just asking without any effort.

Thanks for making sure I had my facts straight Stacy

shane

Hehe The Lord was willing but I decided to simplify the wiring so adding a ground board to clean all the ground wires up and to make certain if anything shorted none of the switches or metal would carry a current. Also setting up a dedicated 110v switch for the fans. I am not happy with the connectors either so adding smaller ones. Looking to late thursday or friday to fire it up.

Shane only posts about once a year, and it has been six months since his last post. It might be better to try and contact him by email.

Shane, searching for a PID link and came across yours. Did you get it to work? Thanks John

Stacy, do you have the diagram that you had sent him available? I am going to try and make a controller for my kiln and It looks like the diagram he had posted has been removed?
Thanks

Sorry for the late response and I did get the emails. I dont get on the forums much as I dont have a lot of time between work and orders but yes the diagram at the first is the one I used. Since building it I also built the one Darren Sanders is running and they have both been running steady weekly for almost 2 years. I did upgrade to using omega thermal couplings as well as adding a disconnect for the couplings to switch between the heat treating oven and the forge. Just set up two different programs if you will use the controller to run other items like i did with the forge so it will still learn the heat loss pattern of your oven.

Always glad to be of help if I can and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask them.

Back