1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Rams foot vs Wharncliff for a slicer?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MTHall720, Jul 13, 2019.

1. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I am considering adding to my wish list a knife that excels as a great slicer for light to medium duty. Every day or a little dressy either one would be fine. I also would like it to be as large as possible. Not sure yet on price range but not a top of the line price tag. Also I need a light to medium pull.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Neither. If you truly want a slicer, get a knife with some belly.

3. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I think the ramsfoot/sheepsfoot blade is more practical and more durable than a wharncliff, but they are very similar just on a continuum.

The wharnie often has a very fine, more fragile tip. Great for crafting and whittling

The ram/sheep is a better slicer in my hands.

Not sure your price point, but GEC 93's and 99's are a good comparison in a medium size knife, and Case makes a lot of sheepfoot and wharnie knives.

3DEB0C3A-F845-455D-8497-791F7030DCB5.jpeg 4B6855CE-C4D7-457B-9E31-611BB7E08194.jpeg DF75778F-9246-4C8E-8D2C-B4535AA2510D.jpeg

4. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Just a suggestion. I recently purchased a Rough Rider cotton sampler exactly for that purpose, a slicer. Works really well for MY needs, but may not suit you. But the recently released GEC lamb Foot are one hell of a slicer, but getting one is the problem. good Luck.

MTHall720 likes this.
  5. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    This is my opinion, as well. If someone asks for a great slicer in a large size with a light pull, my mind immediately goes to Opinel. You’re unlikely to find a knife that wasn’t designed specifically for kitchen use that will slice better than one of these.

The one (and only, IMHO) advantage a Wharncliffe blade has over other blade styles is its very fine point, which is irrelevant when it comes to slicing. Given the two choices you listed in the subject line I’d give the nod to the ram foot.

gaj999, MTHall720 and MerryMadMonk like this.
  6. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    While a straighter edge is often handy, having the point quite low is great for more controlled cutting say on forms or cutting out labels, but I find a modified wharncliff blade, almost to a spear point, to be more advantageous to use. My recent acquisition, the Lionsteel Best man has the point of the blade about center of the handle, where a spear point doesn't have as acute a tip, I like this style better. You still have a straight section of blade and near the tip it has a curve that helps in cutting.

Also it depends on what you really need a good slicer for? What are the usual materials that you intend to be cutting or rather slicing that you need a good slicer?

[​IMG]IMG_7362 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

gaj999, Pinemoon, Cambertree and 6 others like this.
  7. MTHall720

Sep 21, 2010
    Any recommendations for a big blade for slicing? I will likely use it cutting boxes but also want it to carry with me for a little walk in the woods too.

8. MTHall720

Sep 21, 2010
    Beautiful blades.

9. MTHall720

Sep 21, 2010
    Thank you Gary. My slicing will probably be for boxes, some paper or possibly fabric but also I would like to a little whittling. Nothing fancy but if I find a nice big stick in the woods I like to walk in, I would like to shave off the bark. If it is a good straight stick I'd really like to take it home to make a walking stick out of it.
    All my current blades are spearpoints such as Buck 110s, Case Toothpick, and a few slipjoints. My most recent addition is a GEC 97 which I got from a forum member.

JJ_Colt45 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  10. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Yah, tons of choices for those tasks for sure, good luck in your hunt !
    G2

MTHall720 likes this.
  11. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Regardless of blade shape the Lionsteel slipjoints are great knives ... I love my round head for just the type of things you're talking about ...

If you prefer the sheepsfoot or wharncliffe I can understand and would lean towards the sheepsfoot for a bit more versatile than the wharncliffe ... and I like both blades but that's just my humble opinion.

A classic trapper ... a wharncliffe type blade and a sprey blade may be a good choice unless you want a single bladed knife ... or a #48 Improved trapper is one I really like the wharncliffe on it.

But my Lionsteel roundhead checks all your boxes for use M390 steel ... a decent size ... the pull isn't difficult ... and it has that touch of class.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    aback and MTHall720 like this.
  12. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Nice re-profile on that blade, Gary. :thumbsup:

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  13. MTHall720

Sep 21, 2010
    I lean towards single blade knives. Just a personal preference. I was fortunate enough to have a Dad, uncles and Grandpa who were big time knife and gun guys back in the day when most boys had pocket knives. Different world now.

14. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Lots of choices like Gary said. For light duty this Corsican Vendetta inspired knife is pretty nice. The only problem is that the blade isn't as hard as Americans typically like, so it's sub-optimal for cutting cardboard. It's ~ 4 1/8" closed IIRC.

[​IMG]

JohnDF, MTHall720 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  15. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    I like two blades for the versatility. A small, thin, straight edged secondary goes through cardboard like a lightsaber and the larger blade with belly can be used for other jobs.

MTHall720 likes this.