Review Randall 1-7

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
1st Photo just checking the edge on wood to see how it did after I sharpened it. Looks like I lowered the edge angle too much. Saw some very minor rolling after chopping so I increased it a little. All part of the process really and not a big deal. So far so good though.

Looks like I will be able to begin the testing process soon. :)

750_2536 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

Was the knife new when you bought it? Curious why you re sharpened?

Was the knife new when you bought it? Curious why you re sharpened?

Yep, brand new, but it was pretty dull so.

I always sharpen everything I am going use though, even if it was sharp I still would have put my own edge on it. Just the way I work when I am testing etc so the knives start out with a good edge on them.

Since it's only .020" behind the edge, very thin for a field blade this size and I dropped the edge angle to around 18 degrees per side that was the issue. That and the steel is lower HRC than I am normally used to dealing with. So I increased it back to 20 degrees per side. Should be fine for the testing now.

It wasn't dull and still sliced phone book paper easy even with the slight rolling so it was very minor.

Last edited:
That's a great looking knife Jim, I've always liked the 14 but that one looks very nice...sexy if you will. :thumbsup: It makes me want a model one also. Did you order it like that..setup that way?

That's a great looking knife Jim, I've always liked the 14 but that one looks very nice...sexy if you will. :thumbsup: It makes me want a model one also. Did you order it like that..setup that way?

Got it from AG Russell's site, had the options I wanted already.

Also have a Model 16 Special Fighter on order from them, will be about a year wait on that.

And a Model 14 from Randall, that will be awhile.

It sounds/looks like your going to have a few nice Randall's when its all said and done. I used to have a model 14 and a saw back 18 back in the late 70's early 80's and when the little ones came along I needed the extra funds at the time and they went to another home. I've looked around and now it seems like their three times the price back then. Well that's life and at any rate your going to have a few nice ones. Will you be getting them all stainless any carbon blades.

It sounds/looks like your going to have a few nice Randall's when its all said and done. I used to have a model 14 and a saw back 18 back in the late 70's early 80's and when the little ones came along I needed the extra funds at the time and they went to another home. I've looked around and now it seems like their three times the price back then. Well that's life and at any rate your going to have a few nice ones. Will you be getting them all stainless any carbon blades.

The Model 14 will be in O1.

I had a Model 1 back in the 80's, just the standard with no options, Leather handle, O1, brass guards.

Then it went missing/stolen...

I figure with the 3 of them I will have enough, the 16 Special Fighter and 14 will be for the collection. Won't ever be used, will stay in the boxes etc.

The Model 1 above is my user.

Last edited:
As have only just got ,a Randall model 8incn blade and a model 1 with 7inch blade with model 2 hilt and brass pommel. Really interested in being able to date them. Any help advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Gary

As have only just got ,a Randall model 8incn blade and a model 1 with 7inch blade with model 2 hilt and brass pommel. Really interested in being able to date them. Any help advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Gary
Gary,
The best thing would be to post some pics via imgur or some other photo host.
Once the pics are up on here,we can see what you have and help you out.

Last edited:
I once tried to drag myself into the 20th century without realizing we were in the twenty-first. My mule protested.

Back