Randall EDC?

The Model 26 is the only Randall I have that I wear on my belt in town.There are a few reasons.One is that Tennessee law says the blade must be under 4 inches and not be double edged so this disqualifies the 4 inch Model 8.Another is that the blade shape is good for every day uses such as picking out a splinter from a finger or opening them human proof plastic packages that stuff comes in these days.But for me I would carry it instead of the Trout and Bird even if the law allowed double edges because the pouch sheath is easier to get it out and put it back with only one hand.It would work even better if there was no keeper strap and I would cut it off and burnish the cut edge if not for having the male end of the snap that would look kind of silly there with out the strap to snap it to.My 26 has the"plain old stag"handle that has aged to a real mellow honey color and seems to make a lot of non knife folks react to it with a "ooh thats a pretty knife" instead of the less positive comments that a knife with a Kydex sheath and a micarta handle might get.The blade is 01 tool steel and doesn't get polished although the brass gets shined with Simichrome sometimes.

dogtownhootie

I talked Sullivan’s into making me an F style cover sheath—the kind that comes with the Model 25—to fit my Model 26 Pathfinder. The sheath is too small to mount a stone on it, but that’s fine with me. I like that style better than the sheath that came with the Pathfinder. There is no keeper strap to cut, it’s great. You’ll have to send them your knife if you want a sheath that’s marked Randall Made, and has the Randall snaps. If you don’t care about that—I didn’t—they will sell you an unmarked sheath that works just fine.

Raymond1000 that sounds like a great idea.I would rather not send my knife in either and the unmarked sheath with no hone pocket sounds fine to me.

How long was the wait to get it?

Updated to add:Sullivans is not taking custom sheath requests at this time.Mr.Gutcher was ill and is recuperating at home.

Last edited:
bleev3, you wrote:
Quote:
Are there any authorized Randall dealers that you recommend?

bleev3, you wrote:Nordic Knives, Clinton Knives, and Rick Ward are dealers who are set up to let you specify options.

Other dealers seem to receive knives, with various options, and put them up for sale, and it is unclear whether they allow customers to special-order them, meaning to specify the options: Blue Star Knives (aka, Melvin-Purvis), BP Outdoors, Custom Grips & Knives, Loess Hills Gun & Knife, Michigan Knives, Plaza Cutlery, A. G. Russell, Spaceport Cutlery, Spyderco, and so on. (I should point out that it is sometimes difficult to ascertain whether these are authorized Randall dealers, or simply order knives at catalog prices then mark them up. I suppose you could call Randall Made Knives to find out.

One dealer, SJJP Knives (aka, Steve Peters), has an extensive selection of Randalls for sale on eBay.

Just out of curiosity, what model and options are you considering?

I see the question asked about authorized Randall dealers. Are all you mentioned authorized?

Thanks. Unlike a certain individual here, I appreciate that Samael will answer legitimate questions.

Why is that? I think it is readily apparent, that a certain individual gets a hall pass when questioned about statements he makes. Funny how viable dialog is criticized because of some sort of allegience to a person based on their length of time spent on this forum.

Since we’re talking about Randall EDC knives, I’d like some advice. Can anybody explain the Model 8 to me? It’s billed as a Trout and Bird Knife. I don’t know why. I’ve never in my life used a dagger or other double edged knife for cleaning fish. Nor for skinning a bird, squirrel, rabbit, muskrat, or any other small game. I can’t see how the sharpened back edge could help at that chore. I can see how it would get in the way—opening the guts and making a mess I would rather not deal with.

Yet the Model 8—4” seems to be a popular choice. Why? What’s it good for?

I’m not trying to bad-mouth Randall. I love their work and own many Randall knives. I just don’t understand the # 8. Can anybody explain its design?

Raymond I have a Model 8 but I have not used it for anything other than looking at.The original 8 was a much narrower blade with no guard and looks more like what you would picture a T&B knife to look like(I am pretty sure that you can still special order the old style).I am thinking that I would use the top cutting edge for taking off the heads,feet,and tails of critters and the wider blade would give more clearance between the cutting board and your knuckles than the older narrow blade.Using the top edge for tougher materials would keep from dulling the main edge.

That is my take on it.I can see where that top edge would make you be real careful when opening a deers belly.I would be interested in hearing other folks opinions on this topic.

Well said, dogtownhootie. And yes, the "Old Style" Is still available as a "non-catalog" item. (I prefer it as well.)

Raymond I have a Model 8 but I have not used it for anything other than looking at.The original 8 was a much narrower blade with no guard and looks more like what you would picture a T&B knife to look like(I am pretty sure that you can still special order the old style).I am thinking that I would use the top cutting edge for taking off the heads,feet,and tails of critters and the wider blade would give more clearance between the cutting board and your knuckles than the older narrow blade.Using the top edge for tougher materials would keep from dulling the main edge.

That is my take on it.I can see where that top edge would make you be real careful when opening a deers belly.I would be interested in hearing other folks opinions on this topic.

dogtownhootie:

That actually makes sense. Given your explanation, the Randall Trout and Bird knife strikes me as an expert’s tool. If you are very good at what you are doing, the T&B will make your job easier. If you’re an amateur—you're using the wrong knife.

Raymond,

That old (mid 1950's) #8 that I posted it the 'Stag' thread was used mostly on Moose and Elk--a task that it was, apparently, very well suited for in the hands of a professional trapper/outfitter. He may've used it for other things like fish and birds too...

Shel

If I had to use one knife, I’d pick a drop point. If I had two, a drop point for opening the gut and a trailing point for skinning. Both with only a single edge. But I’m no professional.

You know, it's kinda funny. For hunting knives, I have a (real) Loveless drop-point hunter, a Randall 11-5 and 11-4, and a Buck Vanguard in S30V. Guess which one gets used the most? (If you guessed the Buck, you win.)

Raymond,

Gotcha, but, please remember, other than the obscure handmade outdoorsman or frontiersman knife; prior to the introduction of RMK's Model #11, there were precious few Drop Point blade style knives available.

That, and again it took a several years for the 'better' design to take hold as well (look at the Polymer frame Glock as an example, that one took close to 20 years)...and some folks still don't buy it ;)

-S

Glocks? I find them to be excellent defensive tools. My preferred carry pistol is the Glock 33. Small, lightweight, reliable, accurate, and potent. I carry it in a Del Fatti ISP-SS IWB holster.

g33od-left-full.jpg

g33od-right-flat.jpg

Ken, nice Glock. I recently purchased a second generation G19 that's been a safe queen all it's life. It still has the warning label zip tied to the handle. I also have a G35 which I like to shoot as much as my SA 1911 and Colt Delta Elite. It seems that Randalls go good with plastic and metal props.
Dan

ken, nice glock, interesting that it would be the .357, that sig round is what our ncshp carry as a duty weapon, the 1st sgt at the academy really likes that round, how do you like the way it shoots, slight or heavy recoil?

back on topic, i have got to get me a minature randall for some edc stuff of course i like that buck vangard 30v that samael is talking about.

Back