Randall knife hot spot.

So, fairly recently I purchased my first randall. Its a vintage model 12-9 with a stag handle. Really like the knife, not sure if ill keep it but I digress. Anyway the stag handle has a spot that puts some bad pressure on your middle finger and pinkie finger. How much will I hurt the value if I slowly sand it down? Am I allowed to ask for a valuation in this forum? could anybody date it for me? Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

That's a hardcore user without much value anyways so modifying it shouldn't hurt the value especially if your light handle sanding isn't very extreme.

The knife could be sent into the shop for a clean up but that wouldn't be worth it as it's a user. The sheath looks damaged too. IMO just do it!

I would disagree that it doesn't have much value, and as Gold level you are certainly allowed to ask for values as well as sell in the sales forums. Certainly it's not as valuable as a pristine example of that knife, but I would pay decent money for it myself.

I also don't know what the Randall shop would charge to refurbish the knife but, at least in my opinion, a hundred bucks or less, I personally would think worth it. I guess it might depend on how much I had paid for it in that condition. I'd definitely still use it after too... I do however agree that it wouldn't hurt its current value much to fix it yourself. I also say go for it!

Motey is right on all counts. :thumbsup:

Also, it's mid to late 1980's production, and worth about $350/$400, IMO, in current condition. If refurbished, the Shop refurbishment cost with shipping both ways would likely offset any 'value' increase. Besides, then you'd have a new knife in an old sheath; that also reduces value to collectors. Just clean it up and modify to your liking, then use the heck out of it.

Sorry, what I meant by not much value as in any sort of modern Randall price/profit. Sure it's worth a few hundred dollars but in reality other than aesthetics it's worth more than that because of what it actually is, it's just not pretty.

A sound knife and sheath, just not collectable due to cosmetics

Back