Randall knives performance ?

What is the opinion of makers and users regarding performance ability of Randall knives?
As I understand they use uniform temper 01 in lower 50Rc. Is thier reputation based on presdtige of highly regarded combat history and classic designs, Or is there some thing in their performance "in the field "which is not evident in numbers alone?

This is genuine question not "trolling". I am fairly new to knife knowledge of hand made knives and appreciate your opinion.

Thank you

Martin

Randall knives are used by many people very succesfully, but I doubt that the low 50s is what they are hardened to. I would guess that they are a good bit harder than that. My guess would be about 58. I have owned a few Randalls and sharpened a few of them, and they are not that easy to sharpen. If they were tempered to the low 50s, it would seem that they would be quite easy to sharpen using the diamond sharpeners that I use.

As hard a time as I had re-profiling the edge on my Model 5 in 01, I'd guess the hardness to be easily that of around 57-59RC. You might try the Randall website to find out for sure ( www.RandallKnives.com ).

My Model 5 has been a great user. Micarta with nickel silver and Duraluminum cap would be the only way I'd personally go for a user though, the way I use a knife anyhow.

Professor.

Their performance is great! My dad gave me a Randall Camp &
trail for my 12th birthday (1960) still got it still use it.
As for sharpening and edge retention its about like HARD M2

I think it's very difficult to rate the "performance" of any given blade since there are so many variables involved with the blade itself (blade steel, grind, blade shape, sharpening technique, handle ergonomics which is totally subjective, comfort level, ect), and more importantly, the ability and skill of the user.

I recently watched a Lumberjack Competition and I was amazed and mightily impressed with the performance these guys got out of their axes. I've used axes before and my performance was laughable compared to those guys.

Lumberjack: whack, whack, "timber"!

Me: whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, whack, "Hey Mike, know where I can get some det-cord and a fuse igniter"?

Just something to consider,
Allen.

thank you for your replies . With regards to rating performance, it is not absolute but it is not necessarily "difficult" either, correct? Knife also is less difficult than ax which requres much greater care and skill to use.

I am glad to hear from users not simply collectors of Randals, and apologise if I am mistaken about its Rc (although I am not so concerned with that.)

But I'm curious, has Randall used other steels than 01 in the past? Why does company blieve it is "best steel" ? and especially since it is forge knife, why not give it differntl temper?

Thank you
Martin

Back