Review Randall Model 1-7

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Here is a short review of the Randall 1-7 that I have been working with.

Starting out with some basic kitchen stuff.

750_2541 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

750_2545 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

750_2549 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

750_2550 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

Now on for some field type uses that it would see.

750_2552 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

750_2555 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

750_2559 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

750_2560 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

And after the testing photo.

750_2561 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

It did very well and one would not feel under tooled using it in any way. It performed very well overall.

I feel that 7" is about the ideal blade length for a carry knife in the field. Over the years I found this to be true for me anyway.

The stainless steel held an edge throughout my testing with no issues in use and would still slice phonebook paper easy.

Last edited:
An absolutely stellar classic knife and a very good review. thanks and keepem sharp

Thanks, I tried to keep it realistic and short being what it is. :)

I did do a lot of chopping and brush clearing with it.

I didn't do any battoning as I don't do it myself in real world use, never had to so. That does seem to be the 1st thing a lot of reviewers do, I don't however normally.

Used it as I would when I was out in the field.

I am amazed it cut tomatoes as well as it did. I don't know if I would even try to do that with a knife like this. I enjoyed your review.

I have a new Special Fighter that I would sell if anyone is interested. I never use my Randalls.

I am amazed it cut tomatoes as well as it did. I don't know if I would even try to do that with a knife like this. I enjoyed your review.

I have a new Special Fighter that I would sell if anyone is interested. I never use my Randalls.

Your SF has the same blade as the Model 1.

The reason it cuts well is due to both the hollow grind and it is thin behind the edge. At .020" BTE it's thinner than MOST folders and all but very few fixed blades. MOST fixed blades are like .030" and thicker.

Your SF has the same blade as the Model 1.

The reason it cuts well is due to both the hollow grind and it is thin behind the edge. At .020" BTE it's thinner than MOST folders and all but very few fixed blades. MOST fixed blades are like .030" and thicker.
That's good to know. I have owned the Model 15, or is it the 16. Anyway, I have both since the early 90's. I have a Blackjack 1-7, but I know it's no Randall.

That's good to know. I have owned the Model 15, or is it the 16. Anyway, I have both since the early 90's. I have a Blackjack 1-7, but I know it's no Randall.

The 16 is the Special fighter, the 14 is the Attack.

I won't comment on the BJK....

Back