Randall "mystique" question from an Ignorati..

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the heads-up re. Randall's "head of the line" consideration for deployed military. I actually wasn't aware of that service, or would have ordered one a long time ago. I sent an e-mail inquiry, and received a detailed reply back in a very short time. My order goes in today.

In another three months I'm actually going to place another order, but with the five year waiting list. My teenage son, who will be a sophomore in high school next year, has long had his heart set on joining the Marine Corps when he becomes an adult. I believe a custom Randall would be just the thing to present to him as a birthday present five years from now when he's a member of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

I'll let you know when my Randall #1 arrives in a few months. Thank you again for the heads-up!

Very Respectfully,
Chad Teasley

I'm glad it worked out for you Chad. The Randall family has always put our service men and women first.

Good luck and cover your six,

tunefinK,

Chad, thank you for your service!! I am glad that you are getting your Randall knife!

Old post, but thought I would comment. Even though Randalls are old school design, there is something really classical and magical about them. Over the last 5 years have been overseas in Kosovo, Cambodia, Afghan, and Iraq. You would be amazed at the number of Randalls I still seeing being carried by service members. They carry them with pride. See a lot of Model #1, #18, #14, #15 and Bird and Trout knives.

Kind of nice to have a knife that is still made the "old" way by forging!

For me, in 2003 I was overseas in a Combat Zone with a particular US Military unit that has as part of it's unoffical history (especially during the 50s, 60s, and 70s) that the two essential luxury peices of gear you had to have was a Rolex and a Randall knife.

So I called up Randall and put in a order for a Model #15 with some custom modifications. About 10 days later I get in the mail, via my APO address, my new Randall #15!! Talk about service to the military. It stayed strapped on to my gear for the rest of the deployment. The knife has some really special meaning to me to say the least!

I got my first Randall in 1968. I waited 18 months for it. It was a Model 12 9 inch Sportsmans Bowie. My gung ho CO at the time had one and that was my motivation to get that model. I was a team leader for two M-60 machine guns and that knife easily cut a lot of brush for fire lanes and camo materials. I still have that knife and really treasure it. I then purchased a Model 18 with hollow handle, probably because of the "Rambo thing". Carried it for awhile and then gave it to my son who still has it. The last knife I carried was a model 14 with border patrol micarta handle. That was my favorite. Right size, heavy enough to chop brush and small enough to do other work. Randalls have never failed me, they were easy to sharpen in the field and held a edge. I was a "grunt" and they did a grunts work. No taking out sentry BS, no Rambo fantasies, no knife fights, they are a good traditional, best for your money tool. Today when out in the woods I carry a Model 1 with 5 inch blade. A little big, but I have never got around to ordering a small hunter. A my age a five year wait will put me close to 70. Buy a Randall they are worth the wait and money.

Thank you Chad & Peppe for your service!!!
It would be nice to see some photos of Military men carring Randalls.

As I told in my other post, I wrote a book about knife fighting (is in spanish) and I know that one copy went to Irak in the hands of a Marine. Book title "El Guardaespaldas Silencioso" (the Silent Bodyguard).
If anyone in the front reads spanich and want a copy, just ask me and I send it free of charge. (I live in Argentina, but I left a few in Miami, FL)
Thanks again you guys

I ordered another Randall from Greg Gutcher a over a year ago. At the time, it was due in in November 2008. Now it has been pushed back to Jan 2009, probably because of so many military orders. A small price to pay and if they have to move it back further for a few guys dressed in ACU, I'm fine with it. Since I used to wear "green", I think the things we "can" do for these guys, we "should" do.

Fascinating thread, gentlemen. Looking at each and every post, I found reasons that matched my own for appreciating the Randall knife. I have just two, a 24 and a 2-5. I like daggers and boot knives. They are the pride and joy of my collection.
Riata

Shotgun wrote: 'To each their own I guess. I find 'X Maker's knives' to be pretty butt ugly...' Yeah, I used to make posts like that too, especially after about six rum and cokes...lol :p

When I was a kid a dreamed of owning a Randall someday. Every year I would write them a letter and request a catalog back in the days when there were only three Network TV channels. I'm not a kid anymore and I have some Randall knives. For many decades I consider the only real knife company in America was Randall Made Knives. In some respect, I still do. We have some pretty darn good knife makers in America. But no company like Randall Made Knives. Randall Made Knives stand alone.

Boy am I glad I got my new Randall's back in the early '82. Models 20 and 21 have been used and have served me very well. Both are made of D-2 and have Stag handles. I got both from Doug Kenefick from the East coast and had to wait 3 months to get them. By the way, the Model 20 cost me $120.00 + $3.00 COD and shipping. Have a great Holiday Season, Bob

"in my collection" as I wrote, but neither of my Randalls live in a safe or showcase. If they are good enough for two (or is it three, now?) generations of American fighting men, then they are good enough for one or the other to accompany me at certain times.
Riata

Back