Random picture thread - on the lighter side of things.

Discussion in 'Hanson Knives' started by Scott Hanson, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    My son loved it out there Mack, he pestering me to go again already.lol I use a a standard 9" Rapala filet knife there only about a $25 or $30 dollar knife but there are great filet knives. The steel has to be AEB-L, 13c26 or 12c27 or something very similar to take an edge like it does. I had a Rapala filet knife blade harness checked at the heat treater and it was HRc-58, my only complaint about the knife is the smooth varnished wooden handle gets slippery pretty quickly, something with checkering would be better. this is the knife I use on Salmon, I could probably make one for myself but I don't know that it would be worth it for me.

For what it's worth, the old ones seem to be ground a bit better than the new ones.

s-l1600.jpg

Mack likes this.
  2. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
  3. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    This was in my neighbors yard when I was driving by earlier today.

1066vik likes this.
  4. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Wonder what happened to the raccoon...neighbor shoot it?

ETA: sorry, missed the road kill part

Scott Hanson likes this.
  5. Scott Hanson

Sep 6, 2014
    I'll admit it's kind of gross but I do believe vultures are actually a good thing to have in the area to clean stuff like this up. When I was a kid growing up we didn't have vultures or coyotes around here. We didn't have a lot of deer in the area back then, once the deer herd grew then we started seeing more and more coyotes and vultures. We're even starting here reports of black bear and even mountain lions in our area now.

1066vik and jlauffer like this.