Random picture thread - on the lighter side of things.

Nice, great looking fish. I bet your son had a blast and will remember this for a lifetime.
I haven't been fishing in quite some time. I really need to. Hmmm, a nice, thin, long, upswept AEB-L blade with Lignum Vitae scales would really come in handy for filleting them...
My son loved it out there Mack, he pestering me to go again already.lol I use a a standard 9" Rapala filet knife there only about a $25 or $30 dollar knife but there are great filet knives. The steel has to be AEB-L, 13c26 or 12c27 or something very similar to take an edge like it does. I had a Rapala filet knife blade harness checked at the heat treater and it was HRc-58, my only complaint about the knife is the smooth varnished wooden handle gets slippery pretty quickly, something with checkering would be better. this is the knife I use on Salmon, I could probably make one for myself but I don't know that it would be worth it for me.

For what it's worth, the old ones seem to be ground a bit better than the new ones.

s-l1600.jpg

This was in my neighbors yard when I was driving by earlier today.

Wonder what happened to the raccoon...neighbor shoot it?

ETA: sorry, missed the road kill part
I'll admit it's kind of gross but I do believe vultures are actually a good thing to have in the area to clean stuff like this up. When I was a kid growing up we didn't have vultures or coyotes around here. We didn't have a lot of deer in the area back then, once the deer herd grew then we started seeing more and more coyotes and vultures. We're even starting here reports of black bear and even mountain lions in our area now.

My turkey friend is back but he's not so aggressive this time of year.lol

IMG_3451.jpegIMG_3452.jpeg

I have a video of a young turkey that trapped in my yard for about an hour. My son and I had to chase it out, it couldn't figure out how jump up and fly over the chain link fence. When I get a chance I'll post the video.

My election day buck I got with my new crossbow this year first day in my stand hunting on a new hunting spot for this year. We butchered it ourselves a good friend and myself and I got 47# of boneless meat. can't wait to get back up there for gun season.

IMG_3446 (1).jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg IMG_3488.jpeg Just got back from deer hunting with my brother-in-law, we each took two antler-less deer apiece this weekend. I had a good time and now have plenty of venison for my freezer.

These are photos from my stand this morning after I got my deer, they're in the first photo look for them and see if you can see them.View attachment 1461085View attachment 1461086

Last edited:
It was a lot of fun and I think it will be better bow hunting spot than a gun hunting spot, was too much pressure.

I got outside with my son for the last couple of afternoons and have been helping him build an igloo. I was the on site engineer and my son was the laborer. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to put the hot tub and flat screen TV.

428BAEB6-35FD-41C8-A59E-4F822E995B7B_1_201_a.jpeg

Oh, I was also the heavy equipment operator, I made all the bricks and he tuck pointing.90B936C2-1630-4DB1-98C7-A0F9D3EFFE91_1_201_a.jpeg

A few years back we had some decent snow and I used the tractor to clear the drive and parking area. The pile was big enough I hollowed a snow cave out of it big enough to sleep in.

A few years back we had some decent snow and I used the tractor to clear the drive and parking area. The pile was big enough I hollowed a snow cave out of it big enough to sleep in.
I did that in a huge snow drift once when I was a kid, I kept digging the snow out and throwing it on top and it just kept growing.

I was scrolling through the internet today and came across this. It made me wonder how good of a matching it can be with a name like this .lol

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 2.09.31 PM.jpeg

Not very good photos but I got to see a couple of buck last evening in my neighbor's yard. A small eight pointer and a pretty nice nine pointer.

IMG_4065.jpegIMG_4059.jpegIMG_4063.jpeg

Just a video of the same two deer, I wasn't sure i remembered how to post a video.lol

I just got back from a bow hunting trip a couple days ago, I didn't get a deer but I had a great time hunting with my brother-in-law Charlie up north. I could have killed 5 bucks between 3 and 6 points, and 4 does all within 5 and 20 yards from my stand, but I was holding out for something bigger, like the big 8 pointer that was chasing around a little fork buck. He never got close enough for a shot, I did manage to video record a small 6 or 8 pointer walking out in front of my stand about 40 yards away though.

Back