Random Sunday Knifemaking Thought

navman

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just sitting on the couch, scrolling through USA knifemakers website, contemplating my next purchase once I get my shop set back up. I use corby bolts for most of my builds. We have Stainless, Copper, brass, nickel silver, titanium and I have even seen a few examples of Damascus...why not G10? It would add a pop of color, while retaining the mechanical strength of a corby bolt over a pin.

Can you cut threats in G10?
To have a true mechanical bond you'd have to do that, otherwise it will me a chemical bond and you could have used solid pins.

I think the issue is the smaller size of the threaded shank. It would take carbide threading tools, too.

I use G-10 and Micarta pins on micarta/G-10 handles regularly, and when properly glued in never come loose. It is one of my favorite fasteners for fillet knives.

I have tried garolite for something, it's soft at small diameters. I didn't test it for a handle, but imagine there'd be little to no improvement from mechanical hold over simple pins with epoxy with threads under .25 tpi, maybe not a lot larger.

They could easily make G10 corby’s by attaching a G10 head on a piece of metal all thread and threaded tubing.

Back