Random Task

I've just ordered a Kershaw Random task and I am eagerly awaiting its arival. Love the assisted opening and the slick blade shape.

So...What am I getting my self into? Can some of you give me some reviews. See if I wasted my 100 bucks or not.

Thanks all, Lesoleilnoir

The handle is comfortable, but I am not a fan of G-10 and the finish Kershaw uses was very slick in my grip. Good edge holding and sharpness on the blade steel, and a very good shape for general utility work with a strong but precise point. The speed safe is addicting, keeps the blade closed with confidence and snaps it open when you need it. Good lock up on the models I have seen, though I really prefer titanium liners to stainless. I gave mine to a friend when he got his aprenticeship and joined the Opera Crew full time, he is a good guy and deserved a good knife.

Although the polished G-10 is a little slippery, it looks like black Micarta and I like it. I agree with the observations about the blade, lock, utility, etc. I think you will be pleased. Order a Chive next! Inexpensive, faster, loads of fun.

I sold two of these knives to friends who like them alot.
One thing tho.....there is no way they can be opened with
the LEFT hand. Tha't a huge minus for me. Other than that
they have a great blade shape and are a good everyday knife
for right handed folk's.

I love them, I'm on my ninth! not from wear and tear, from people buying it out of my pocket, someone wanted the one I now have and I said NO!

As to opening left handed, I teach folk to do that instead of their right hand, just use your index finger to push the thumbstud, your finger goes out straight and really can't get cut as easily as your right hand thumb can! Works slick...

James, you're a one of a kind! good to know there are people like you around, I also provide knives to those that are needed at work or are leaving our company, they really appreciate getting a good knife!

G2

Thanks fellas, now I'm even more excited than I was before. Still hasn't arrived though....the mail has been slow since the 11th. Actually I plan to use this baby as a show piece knife. I use my Native for the gruntwork.

Thanks for the responses.

The liners are titanium tho, just to clarify, wanted to get one too, but they discontinued, so prices are higher....

Tightwad,Kershaw made a left handed Random Task and Mini Task.Great knives if you can find them.

Hey EiNLaNZeR,

If you want a Random Task I've got some...you don't list an email, so I can't contact you. Send me email if you're interested.

The Lefty Kershaw Task knives are great, I have both. Modified my Random Task - anodized the liners, and am working on satin finishing the blade. :)

~Mitch

You'll like it. I usually carry a Random Task, Ricochet, or Mini Task as my EDC. Great knives, and a good daily user with that CPM 440V steel........

Sorry folks, totally forgot to post my review. Got the knife about a week ago and so far I LOVE it!!! Handles are a bit slick but look cool. I can't get enough of the blade shape, reminds me of a straight razor. Out of the box, by far the sharpest factory edge I've even seen ( or felt ). Hairs on my arm we're scared stiff! :eek:

I'm still getting used to a tip down carry, all my other blades are tip up. Although considering its sharpness, if it were to open in my pocket, and I reach down, it'd probably take the tip of my finger right off.

The only other thing that I've noticed is that force of the speed assist seems much weaker than the Boas and other Ken Onions that I've played with. Does anyone know if a swap is possible? Ken, are you listening?

So all and all a great knife, for a great closeout deal. I'm thinking about a Ricochet before those dissapear too.

Regards,
LeSoleilNoir

I don't have a Random Task but I do have a Ricochet which I believe is pretty much the same except for the blade shape. This is one of my favorite knives because of the comfy handle and hollow ground blade - slices very nicely.

I accidently left it on the deck one day and of course it would have poured down rain that evening :eek:. I was so bummed out when I saw it the next day soaking wet. I sprayed the whole thing with WD40 and carefully dried and relubed the guy and much to my surprise it has worked perfectly since then without any visible spots of rust. I did not disassemble the knife so I hope nothing shows up down the road but it's been fine for the past 6-8 months. I'm impressed with all the Kershaws I own:).

I and several others have had a problem with the slab screws comeing loose and comeing with stripped threads.
After talking to Ken Onion and the Kershaw folks I finally just lock-tited them myself. Ken Onion was VERY UPSET that the knives were comeing this way from Kershaw back then...hopfully this problem has been taken care of since the knife is very nice and cuts like crazy.
I have no doubt that a knife from Ken himself would be absolutly perfect before ever leaving the shop!

I love my Random Task and have a Mini Task on the way. Great for EDC. I have used mine for whittling and the like and find it very comfortable. I like the gadget factor and take pride when I show friends the california penal code section that allows for the speedsafe operation.
This baby is just as fast as an auto in my silly know nothing half witted opinion.
Be safe all,
mike

I have had a left handed mini task for about a year. I purchased two so I would have a spare but the first one has not worn out or failed in any way. Damn fine knife, I wish Kershaw would make the Avalanche in a lefty too.

Back