Random Thought Thread

Couple of years ago I was mowing with the tractor. I ran over something, I just heard a sound change and looked behind me and saw a swarm of some type of bee come up. I just slapped it into neutral, jumped off and ran. Never figured out exactly what they were. Really don't care. I came back after the dust settled.
I have property that I’m slowly turning into a blueberry and peach farm. I was cutting the lower limbs off of some trees so I could get the mower around them. All of a sudden I started feeling pain in my neck and back. Little bastards got me 17 times before I got out of there. The first round went to them, but I took the fight!

So talking Trader Joe’s CT I’m about 35-40min from there. Traffic maybe 2+ hours lol.

As far as bee’s go , leave none left flying !!!!

Years ago when I was like 17 I had a GTO that I had left sitting around. While attempting to get it running I had to crawl under and replace starter. Bees had made a home in the car !!! Got stung like 5-6 times before I could get out !!!! The thought of a car BBQ crossed my mind lol. But a couple spray cans did the job.

I got nailed by a yellowjacket a few days ago - I went out to dump some stuff in the recycling dumpster, and when I swung the lid open, it swung close to a new yellowjacket nest they were building at the top of the garage door, which apparently they did not like - they swarmed me and one got me on the left forearm on the inside of the elbow, and man did that sting like a MF. I retreated and got the wasp spray and went back out and hosed them down good. Went back a while later and had a pile of dead yellowjackets under the nest, so I removed the nest and swept up the dead ones. But then when I went to move the dumpster back in place, one of the half-dead bastards had landed on the underside of the handle, and you can guess where I grabbed it. Bastard got me on the ring finger before falling to the ground dead. I hate yellowjackets!

I got nailed by a yellowjacket a few days ago - I went out to dump some stuff in the recycling dumpster, and when I swung the lid open, it swung close to a new yellowjacket nest they were building at the top of the garage door, which apparently they did not like - they swarmed me and one got me on the left forearm on the inside of the elbow, and man did that sting like a MF. I retreated and got the wasp spray and went back out and hosed them down good. Went back a while later and had a pile of dead yellowjackets under the nest, so I removed the nest and swept up the dead ones. But then when I went to move the dumpster back in place, one of the half-dead bastards had landed on the underside of the handle, and you can guess where I grabbed it. Bastard got me on the ring finger before falling to the ground dead. I hate yellowjackets!
If you've ever watched stray wasps, they tend to investigate any holes that might make suitable accommodations.

Had a small paper wasp nest on the house years ago. It's still there. I purchase pesticides (Permethrin SFR and Dominion 2L) from
https://www.domyown.com/
and mix it up in a 2 gallon sprayer and spray the exterior every 4-6 weeks (Dominion/Imidacloprid has residual activity for as long as 12 months in the shade. But UV accelerates deactivation of most pesticides).

Every Spring, I spray that nest. Anytime a winged asshole goes to check out this prospective new home, they won't be making it back to tell their buddies about it 😉

Mentioned it somewhere in the Random thread though. I DID get tagged by some yellowjackets in a ground nest near a bush, while I was mowing. Put the mower over the entrance hole with the handle tied down, hoping they would come out and get mulched, but if it killed any, it certainly wasn't that many/all.

Waited until night time, and poured a mix of Sevin and Tempo dust into a paper cup, ran up and dumped it on the entrance. They track the dust it into the nest and kill everything inside. The first day, I saw a few hovering over the entrance, wondering how to get in without landing on their new Winter Wonderlandscape. 3 days later. Zero activity.

Winged assholes.🤬

Back