1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Fixed;)

2. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    It's actually not a sword, it's a large dagger.

abbydaddy, Mike157, azwelke and 8 others like this.
  3. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Like a sword?

4. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    I had to fly down to Florida last week for work.
    I wasn’t naked or afraid, but I felt kind of naked without my EDC2 in my pocket and there was a momentary flash of fear every time I reached for my knife and it wasn’t there.

5. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Yo should’ve stopped by my place, and borrowed one of mine! :thumbsup:;)

duramax, Mike157, Standard78 and 5 others like this.
  6. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    It's a different world here, we can't edc knives of any form at all.
    But if I could, I'd carry this everyday..

[​IMG]
    Instead it goes on hikes and camps.

duramax, Mike157, Standard78 and 3 others like this.
  7. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    I was tempted to buy a SAK so I had something on me. Instead, I just kept telling myself, “It’s only five days. It’s only five days. It’s only five days.”

duramax, Mike157, Standard78 and 5 others like this.
  8. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    That sucks!
    Is that just fixed blades?
    I know you said, “...any form at all.”, but
    can you carry a slipjoint (legally)?
    I ask because I was under the impression that slipjoints under a certain length were ok.
    What about freshly sharpened pencils?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    You mean Crocodile Dundee was breaking the law carrying that big ass Bowie with him all the time. :eek:

[​IMG]

duramax, Mike157, Standard78 and 3 others like this.
  10. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    He was camping!
    Although, he was probably breaking the law when he got to New York.

Mike157, Standard78, Fullflat and 2 others like this.
  11. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Now that the cat's kinda outta the bag, maybe we'll get to see a pic or two of the piece as it becomes finished?

12. XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    ETA: I don't know how to multi quote...

"That sucks!
    Is that just fixed blades?
    I know you said, “...any form at all.”, but
    can you carry a slipjoint (legally)?
    I ask because I was under the impression that slipjoints under a certain length were ok.
    What about freshly sharpened pencils?"

Even folders and slippies of any kind or blade length.
    Only allowed to carry in public if required for work.
    When I use to study, I worked at a pizza shop and carried a folder. Outside of that, they can only be carried during camping/bushwalks.

Down here, knives are only ever used for one thing; murdery affairs :rolleyes:

Knives are only viewed as weapons here. 99% of our population would have no idea knife collecting was a thing/hobby. That's why market and even members here, are so few compared to you folk.
    Our laws don't really allow for this all to exist haha.
    Even more bizzare to people would be the fact that this forum even exists.

A sharp pencil would be fine, but don't be caught with it ;)

"You mean Crocodile Dundee was breaking the law carrying that big ass Bowie with him all the time. :eek:"

Nope!! Crocodile Dundee wasn't infact carrying a bowie.
    The bowie, was carrying him.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    AdamZC, Mike157, Standard78 and 4 others like this.
  13. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Back when that movie came out you probably didn't have all the restrictions on knives that there is today.

But sad that anyone has that kind of restriction ... I wonder if I hade a sheath made for a nice pair of scissors ... how long would it be before they could only cut hair with shears and outlaw scissors ???

14. XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    Well like knives, you can't carry scissors here either. They're basically considered knives outside of the hairdressers, offices and classrooms ha...

15. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    I heard they plan on declawing koala bears and devils, as well as filing the salty’s teeth blunt. Any truth to that?

16. XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    Absolutely! I read about that in the newspaper here while riding my kangaroo to work :p

untytled, Mike157, Standard78 and 5 others like this.
  17. Odog27

Nov 20, 2011
    Laws like that would prompt me to find a nicely rounded river stone and have a sheath made for it so I could carry it around on my belt. I mean... until they outlawed personal carry rocks.

18. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    :thumbsup:

19. fkctrjt121

fkctrjt121 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Here in the UK we can carry sub 3" slipjoints with no reason. Fixed or locking folders with a genuine reason (self defense isn'ta reason). Our most ridiculous law is that if you describe any knife as a 'zombie knife' or 'weapon' it becomes illegal.
    Can own daggers though so bring it on

duramax, Mike157, Standard78 and 2 others like this.
  20. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    From what I just looked up, in Australia you can’t carry a knife in a public place without a reasonable excuse. It seems you also have the burden of proving the reasonable excuse, such as “I need this knife for work” or "I'm an outdoors enthusiast", with some kind of evidence you have on your person. So it seems if you can come up with a demonstrable, reasonable excuse for why you have a knife in public you should be good to go. Plus, I am sure there are plenty of places in Australia that aren't a "public place", like your car, house, any park or place with an entrance gate where you have to pay or have a membership.

Actually on the South Australia Police website they have a list of "exemptions" which I presume are established "reasonable excuses" and the list is as follows:

"Exemptions may be allowed for:

• astronomical use by the Astronomic Society SA and Mars Society Australia
    • collectors to add to an existing collection
    • emergency workers or volunteers
    • executors, administrators and receivers of estates
    • family heirlooms
    • Freemasons
    • lawful and recognised entertainment
    • lawful and recognised sport or recreation
    • legal manufacturers of weapons
    • museums and art galleries
    • preparation of food and drink for human consumption
    • religious purposes
    • Scottish associations
    • security agents protecting or guarding property
    • service organisations such as the Returned Services League.
    Conditions and requirements apply for each weapon.

See Schedule 2 of the Summary Offences Act 1953 on the South Australian Legislation website for a full list of exemptions and their conditions."