Random Thought Thread

I think we'll do two versions of the new upcoming SDFK. The idea behind this knife was a full 1/4" thick unbreakable saber ground blade that can cut bolts without taking much damage to distribute on Amazon in order to reach a new demographic of folks who want a good heavy duty knife but aren't knife nuts.

1. The basic version for Amazon distribution that will be in the ~$250 price point. As-milled and tumbled and super basic and stripped of some details that we're known for in order reach that price point but well designed and Delta 3V to introduce the unwashed masses to our brand.

2. The signature series that will be around $350. This is a little less than the HDFK was for a little longer blade, but without fullers. The primary grinds would be thinned a little and get an S grind before tumble and it would get the weight reduction features such as a swedge at the tip and skeletonizing in the tang and be more carefully balanced, though probably not quite as brilliant as the HDFK. It would also get the big chamfers and jimping that have become characteristic for our knives.

...somebody had asked earlier and I said I'd need to think on it. Well, I thought on it...

Nathan,

This sounds like a really, really savvy approach, and the $250 price point puts it into the territory for many people who want to give a family member or friend a quality knife that they can count on, but want something that will perform far better than a blade coming from the larger production shops.

Here's hoping that you sell a ton of these!

Nathan,

This sounds like a really, really savvy approach, and the $250 price point puts it into the territory for many people who want to give a family member or friend a quality knife that they can count on, but want something that will perform far better than a blade coming from the larger production shops.

Here's hoping that you sell a ton of these!

Totally agreed! Before I became a self proclaimed knife snob, I was peeling off the ESEEs and the TOPs of this world to satiate my knife whatever. The I got into LionSteel by doing some Interwebs keyboard-foo leading to this Site, then onto the company which rhymes with Revive! (we don't name names because that may give Nathan some ulcers) on whose sub (before CPK had a sub of their own and before I had even heard of Nathan!) I met a bunch of really awesome folks, 90% of whom flocked onto here after Demise! kept repeating their shenanigans.

When I first bought a Light Chopper from Nathan, I spent like $380 and I asked myself, "how much did I just spend on a knife!!!". Then I bought an original FK and I was totally hooked. Nowadays I spend $400ish and then some on a CPK without even thinking about it twice, whether directly or scoring through other CPK brothers, because I totally believe in Nathan / Jo and their business model, their products and their utmost professionalism & integrity. I know that Nathan gets a bit miffed about his knives being spoken of as if art knives but to me, the guy is a true artists and artisan too (he can create art if he really wanted to like the best of 'em!).

Case in point: I gave away all my older 1095 steel knives to my Brother who exclaimed atop his voice, "how much did you spend on that knife?!!!" when he saw my CPKs. I won't let my Brother look at and handle my prized CPKs more than 10 seconds but I will buy him a $250 CPK Amazon series aka mass distribution knife because I know that for a non-knife-how-much-did-you-spend-on-that-knife person, that $250 CPK will be build ala family heirloom knife :)

I am totally ashamed and repentant of my dwellings with revive. But in all seriousness, that did lead me here and now I found the perfect company. Cpk is all I own in terms of fixed blades and I am right with you Matt, "because I totally believe in Nathan / Jo and their business model, their products and their utmost professionalism & integrity".

Totally agreed! Before I became a self proclaimed knife snob, I was peeling off the ESEEs and the TOPs of this world to satiate my knife whatever. The I got into LionSteel by doing some Interwebs keyboard-foo leading to this Site, then onto the company which rhymes with Revive! (we don't name names because that may give Nathan some ulcers) on whose sub (before CPK had a sub of their own and before I had even heard of Nathan!) I met a bunch of really awesome folks, 90% of whom flocked onto here after Demise! kept repeating their shenanigans.

When I first bought a Light Chopper from Nathan, I spent like $380 and I asked myself, "how much did I just spend on a knife!!!". Then I bought an original FK and I was totally hooked. Nowadays I spend $400ish and then some on a CPK without even thinking about it twice, whether directly or scoring through other CPK brothers, because I totally believe in Nathan / Jo and their business model, their products and their utmost professionalism & integrity. I know that Nathan gets a bit miffed about his knives being spoken of as if art knives but to me, the guy is a true artists and artisan too (he can create art if he really wanted to like the best of 'em!).

Case in point: I gave away all my older 1095 steel knives to my Brother who exclaimed atop his voice, "how much did you spend on that knife?!!!" when he saw my CPKs. I won't let my Brother look at and handle my prized CPKs more than 10 seconds but I will buy him a $250 CPK Amazon series aka mass distribution knife because I know that for a non-knife-how-much-did-you-spend-on-that-knife person, that $250 CPK will be build ala family heirloom knife :)
I am totally ashamed and repentant of my dwellings with revive. But in all seriousness, that did lead me here and now I found the perfect company. Cpk is all I own in terms of fixed blades and I am right with you Matt, "because I totally believe in Nathan / Jo and their business model, their products and their utmost professionalism & integrity".

I am surprised that you were able to survive that ordeal.

I appreciate that

Really ??? Your only going for one ???? I can’t support that behavior now three or more,, maybe ????
Lol:p:p:p

But seriously you know you were in loooong before I chimed in lol:D:D:D
I was good with the notion of not collecting the Amazon line which is why I asked way back when if they would be marked different than the now named “signature” line. Now there is going to be a run of that model in the signature line, so, of course I’ll be in, dammit! Honestly, I was looking forward to a short break in the CPK withholding I have set up on my checking account. Eh, whatever, I’d blow it on something else anyway.

It’s not your fault, but someone has to take the blame, so you’re it!

I was good with the notion of not collecting the Amazon line which is why I asked way back when if they would be marked different than the now named “signature” line. Now there is going to be a run of that model in the signature line, so, of course I’ll be in, dammit! Honestly, I was looking forward to a short break in the CPK withholding I have set up on my checking account. Eh, whatever, I’d blow it on something else anyway.

It’s not your fault, but someone has to take the blame, so you’re it!

That’s ok I’ll take the blame :)

Hey I hear you, I wasn’t really wanting the amazon line myself. But with the signature line now coming. I’ll have to buy both, this way I can revel in appreciation of the signature line just that much more :) :)

Man like what the f is wrong with that cat? It took me solid 2 minutes to find it. And like that sucker is right there.

On the budget HDFK. I think I am leaning from this kind of blade length range. I think that 10 ich Skrama with like FK2 is a better combo. Or substitute FK2 for a Kephart.

Back