Ranger RD9 OR CS Trail Master OR BK 9??

I am still trying to figure this out. The budget simply won't allow for a Srapyard, Dumpster, or similar, SO......
For the best bang for the buck for a medium heavy chopper/defensive knife, which can take a good edge, IF I can find one of these three at a price I am ok with, which do you think is the best choice:
Ranger RD9
Cold Steel Trail Master
Becker BK9 (I know it is not likely)

Appreciate the input on this.

rd 9 is a awsome fixed blade for the money it can chop with its heavy blade and split bescause of it blade length i think it is the best of the three i own a cold steel recon scout and i ised it hard and the gaurd came very lose

rd 9 is a awsome fixed blade for the money it can chop with its heavy blade and split bescause of it blade length i think it is the best of the three i own a cold steel recon scout and i ised it hard and the gaurd came very lose

Thanks very much for the input. I have looked for the Ranger on eBay but never see it. Is it one you almost have to go to their website and order direct?

i really cant see the ranger being as tough as the trailmaster. and as far as the guard coming lose that is gotta be rare because they actually put a weld under it so it doesnt come loose.

i really cant see the ranger being as tough as the trailmaster. and as far as the guard coming lose that is gotta be rare because they actually put a weld under it so it doesnt come loose.

they dont weld it if they did woulde't come as lose as it did where it almost
came lose from the whole handle

go with the ranger. keep an eye on the exchange forum here, or the for sale forum over at knifeforums. justin has his own forum over there and there is a lot more ranger activity at that site. you might also check ontario knives, i don't know all the details, but i believe they bought him out and are selling his knives.

Winston

i believe you, im just saying i saw one that was having a custom handle put on and it had a welded peace to support the guard.maybe yours came without it.

I can't vouch for the Becker or Trailmaster, but I love Ranger knives! I have to RD type knives and have used an RD9. For me, I like the solid feel of an exposed tang and micarta or G10 handles. I have a Cold Steel SRK and while it has taken a beating, the solid feel of the Ranger knives is more appealing to me. Oh, as far as finding a Ranger, I think Justin (the man who started Ranger knives) is working with Ontario to get the new RD line out before Christmas. I for one, am looking forward to the release of the new Ranger knives.

BustedRecon720.jpg

That is a Recon Scout, Trail Master is the same only bigger I think. Out of your list the RD9 is definately the best choice. They will become more available when Ontario Knife Company start producing them in January(probably January, maybe sooner!), don't worry about the quality, it will be the same. As for the Becker, Ka-bar will soon be producing those (I think the Necker, Campanion and Tac Tool are already available). Like I said the RD9 is the best, or even the RD7, that 5160 spring steel can take a real beating. And finally, the best chopper for a guy on a budget is the Ka-bar Heavy Bowie, the handle is comfortable the steel is great, check it out. Good Luck;)

Have a look at the Browning Crowell Competition Chopper:

Here it is in one of my backpacking trios - flat axe, small fixed, and folder:

SANY0005-4.jpg

You can find them used for approx $100

I have all 3 Knives and have beat the shit out of each

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8450742/?action=zoom
------
http://www.putfile.com/pic/8450733
------
http://www.putfile.com/pic/8415492/?action=zoom

as well as a Trailmaster and Recon Scout that Justin just put new G-10 handles on as well as modified the guards and stripped off the coating

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/WILLIAMMARTIN46/COLD STEEL TO JUSTIN/DSC08499.jpg

before going to Justin

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/WILLIAMMARTIN46/COLD STEEL TO JUSTIN/DSC08364.jpg

Will be testing those today:D

As far as which is best....

You will be hard pressed to damage any of them-or tell "that" much of a difference.

The RD-9 is as Tough as they come-but the edges are thick.(need to trim them down to make it cut better)

I have seen that Recon Scout photo before--and he hit it with a hammer.(if it was common--you would see more than one photo)

If possible try and hold each mode before you buy one

Some people like Becker Handles--some hate them(same as with Cold Steel and Ranger)

Justin can put any handle you want on any of those knives too.

Let us know what you get....

Sincerely

Dr.Bill

Thanks again. I will update this thread on what I end up with. Right now leaning towards the Ranger.

Another question. I understand the new Rangers are coming out really soon.
Does that mean if I want one that Justin made I have to hurry to get it?

There are no more production ranger knives left over that were made by Justin. He is doing custom knives only now. But the good thing is that they are very reasonably priced. If you are curious, just send him an email or a pm on knifeforums and he will get you a quote. He can make anything you want.

Thanks for the update. This is good to hear that customs at a reasonable price are also an option.

I have all 3...

The Original RD9 is by FAR the Best. Thick edge, thick tip...an absolute beast.

The Trail Master is a close second...only if you get it in Carbon V or San Mai...(price inhibitive though)

The Newer RD9 are shit in my opinion. I broke the 2nd generation one...too thin on the tip...snapped right off.

BK9 are great, but have THE MOST uncomfortable handles. Also a bit thin for MY liking at .220. Great design and from what I understand they will be released soon again through Kabar.

If you can find an original Saber Ground RD9....GET IT wink wink nudge nudge.....

Rock solid warranty.

I have all 3...

The Original RD9 is by FAR the Best. Thick edge, thick tip...an absolute beast.

The Trail Master is a close second...only if you get it in Carbon V or San Mai...(price inhibitive though)

The Newer RD9 are shit in my opinion. I broke the 2nd generation one...too thin on the tip...snapped right off.

BK9 are great, but have THE MOST uncomfortable handles. Also a bit thin for MY liking at .220. Great design and from what I understand they will be released soon again through Kabar.

If you can find an original Saber Ground RD9....GET IT wink wink nudge nudge.....

Rock solid warranty.

Are they real rare to come across? Pretty expensive now?

sodak

Gold Member
They shouldn't be, the fit and finish were nothing to write home about. They are sturdy, though.