Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Ankerson, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Never the less, it's good to see you posting here again. This was one of my favorite threads on this board. :thumbsup:

2. SeVeNA7

SeVeNA7

Jul 28, 2018
    Came here to learn about blades and steels take 5mins to find something!! I've seen Cedric and Ada from YouTube do similar testing with out scale, what I good addition, they do sell a scale now that uses a medium to measure in grams (downward force) to test edge sharpness using a guide of known blade type readings all the from butter knife to double edge feather razor blades

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I like Vanadis 4E Superclean in the Bradford Guardian 3, which is a decidedly favorite model of mine.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  4. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Does that mean this thread is going to get a jump start? :thumbsup:

5. attila.

attila. Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Thank you Mr Ankerson for all the hard work you've put into your testing, and for all the knowledge you bestow upon others!

I'd respectfully ask for Rex 45 to get tested next if possible.

Cypress and buckfynn like this.
  6. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Is it here in the 400 grit tests and I'm just blind or is 154CM missing from those tests.
    I have taken a recent interest because I am considering getting a Mini Griptillian and so am learning what I can about Benchmade's 154CM.
    I just read that it does best with a toothy edge so I would expect it to be here cutting rope in front of Bob and everyone.

For that matter how does Benchmade's (heat treat) do with a polished edge? You all know how addicted I am to polished edges (for what I use knives for it works well for me).
    Any link to a discussion of middle of the road 154CM ( I understand the higher RC stuff is a different animal than the softer stuff)? What does it compare to that is on the 400 grit chart ?
    It's above a similar grade of VG10 . . . is that right ?
    Thanks.

7. Vicv

Vicv

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm curious but I wasn't able to go through all 160 pages as I didn't follow this thread from beginning to end. The work you did here is amazing. The Phil Wilson custom in cpm m4. I know it will not have the edge holding of the very high vanadium steels but I figured it would do better than it did. Any idea why? I did notice he left it quite a bit thicker behind the edge than he usually does. Thanks

8. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

It did excellent for M4. Not sure why you think otherwise.

9. Vicv

Vicv

Aug 22, 2011
    That's fair I've never seen that chart. I knew 10v was more wear resistant. I figured maybe 20% more. Not 250% more

Mo2 likes this.
  10. sodak

sodak

Mar 26, 2004
    No doubt heat treat and geometry contribute to this as well.

11. Vicv

Vicv

Aug 22, 2011
    Well Phil Wilson did both so I assume HT was good. The m4 was also 3x as thick behind the edge

12. sodak

sodak

Mar 26, 2004
    Yeah Phil's heat treat is spot on. Sounds like the geometry then.

13. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Added the REX-45 Military.

840 Cuts.

attila., Mo2, Cycletroll and 4 others like this.
  14. Rogue9

Rogue9

Nov 11, 2013
    What category does S110v belong in?

15. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    From the numbers I would guess Cat 1, of course that depends on geometry, hardness and other factors.

16. Rogue9

Rogue9

Nov 11, 2013
    Yah, I guess if you use the higher of the two. I guess it just seems odd to me given how some of those other steels are hyped

17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
  18. gine

gine

Sep 2, 2007
    Jim, my personal REX 45 Military got a repeated reading of 66 HRC on my bench top Rockwell hardness tester. Thanks for doing the test, looking forward to more.

attila. likes this.
  19. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2002

I figured it was up there. :D

attila. likes this.
  20. gine

gine

Sep 2, 2007
    You were right Jim. At 66 rc it’s a nice sweet spot for the steel. It takes a nice sticky crisp edge.

attila. and mb> like this.