Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

I did test N690 awhile back, just never added it to the list (Tested before I started the coarse edge section, was tested at 600 grit).

Yes, it does very well, excellent steel.
Never the less, it's good to see you posting here again. This was one of my favorite threads on this board. :thumbsup:

Came here to learn about blades and steels take 5mins to find something!! I've seen Cedric and Ada from YouTube do similar testing with out scale, what I good addition, they do sell a scale now that uses a medium to measure in grams (downward force) to test edge sharpness using a guide of known blade type readings all the from butter knife to double edge feather razor blades

Thank you Mr Ankerson for all the hard work you've put into your testing, and for all the knowledge you bestow upon others!

I'd respectfully ask for Rex 45 to get tested next if possible.

Is it here in the 400 grit tests and I'm just blind or is 154CM missing from those tests.
I have taken a recent interest because I am considering getting a Mini Griptillian and so am learning what I can about Benchmade's 154CM.
I just read that it does best with a toothy edge so I would expect it to be here cutting rope in front of Bob and everyone.

For that matter how does Benchmade's (heat treat) do with a polished edge? You all know how addicted I am to polished edges (for what I use knives for it works well for me).
Any link to a discussion of middle of the road 154CM ( I understand the higher RC stuff is a different animal than the softer stuff)? What does it compare to that is on the 400 grit chart ?
It's above a similar grade of VG10 . . . is that right ?
Thanks.

I'm curious but I wasn't able to go through all 160 pages as I didn't follow this thread from beginning to end. The work you did here is amazing. The Phil Wilson custom in cpm m4. I know it will not have the edge holding of the very high vanadium steels but I figured it would do better than it did. Any idea why? I did notice he left it quite a bit thicker behind the edge than he usually does. Thanks

I'm curious but I wasn't able to go through all 160 pages as I didn't follow this thread from beginning to end. The work you did here is amazing. The Phil Wilson custom in cpm m4. I know it will not have the edge holding of the very high vanadium steels but I figured it would do better than it did. Any idea why? I did notice he left it quite a bit thicker behind the edge than he usually does. Thanks
crucible-steel-chart.jpg

It did excellent for M4. Not sure why you think otherwise.

That's fair I've never seen that chart. I knew 10v was more wear resistant. I figured maybe 20% more. Not 250% more

Reactions: Mo2
Well Phil Wilson did both so I assume HT was good. The m4 was also 3x as thick behind the edge

From the numbers I would guess Cat 1, of course that depends on geometry, hardness and other factors.

Yah, I guess if you use the higher of the two. I guess it just seems odd to me given how some of those other steels are hyped

Jim, my personal REX 45 Military got a repeated reading of 66 HRC on my bench top Rockwell hardness tester. Thanks for doing the test, looking forward to more.

Back