Rare Gems

As a paid member, you can upload pics right from your computer. Not sure about unpaid members. When you go to post a reply, do you see an option to Upload a File in the tabs at the bottom right, or just Post Reply and More Options...? I'm not sure because the protocol for uploading has changed with the new software. You used to attach pics to your posts and it would show you all the pics you currently had in you attachment folder, but not anymore, at least not that I can find. If you don't see the option to upload, then it's a membership-only thing, but the basic membership is only $10 a year. http://www.bladeforums.com/pember/membership-new
DOHH! I thought I did sign up! Oh well signed up now, thanks for the heads up!

I would like to share a couple I bought new back in the day. I'll have to see if I can find my others. The master tanto is still new :)

IMG_2220.PNG IMG_2221.PNG IMG_2222.PNG

Dug these out last night. I know there's more somewhere here. These are new unused I bought new back in the day. I also bought the 2nds of these which I used, haven't found them yet. These are what brought me to like hard use knives :)

IMG_2232.PNG IMG_2233.PNG IMG_2234.PNG IMG_2235.PNG IMG_2236.PNG IMG_2237.PNG

Here's another rare Recon Scout I scored recently. Rare as in I've never seen one before or even heard of it. With the large "billboard" markings, thinking it was either a prototype or some sort of promotional piece. Still has the 1st gen ricasso/choil, and more of a parkerized finish rather than epoxy coating, so it is definitely a very early version. Maybe during the transition from the sterile versions to the stamped versions?

On the one side it is pretty easy to read COLD STEEL with VENTURA CA underneath. On the other side, can see RECON SCOUT easily enough, but underneath is much harder. Can make out what looks like ARBON and TEEL, so pretty sure it says CARBON V STEEL.

Too bad about the corrosion...

Z0FnIUil.jpg

914811kl.jpg

KHZSvKol.jpg

IiwsqrHl.jpg

Thinking very early 90s, like 91 or 92. I think by 93 the standard production version with epoxy coating was out.

Here's another rare Recon Scout I scored recently. Rare as in I've never seen one before or even heard of it. With the large "billboard" markings, thinking it was either a prototype or some sort of promotional piece. Still has the 1st gen ricasso/choil, and more of a parkerized finish rather than epoxy coating, so it is definitely a very early version. Maybe during the transition from the sterile versions to the stamped versions?

On the one side it is pretty easy to read COLD STEEL with VENTURA CA underneath. On the other side, can see RECON SCOUT easily enough, but underneath is much harder. Can make out what looks like ARBON and TEEL, so pretty sure it says CARBON V STEEL.

That is indeed a rare one! I've never heard of it or seen one like it, either. Your Recon Scout very closely resembles zonk's Trail Master in post #37. I'm strictly speculating here, but based on Lynn's letter to zonk, I wonder if Cold Steel experimentally Parkerized a few Recon Scouts along with the Trail Masters and that's what you have?

Whatever its history, incredible score!

-Steve

Found a few new rare gems recently.

These photos aren't mine, but this knife is so scarce that I don't think the owner will mind my pilfering his pictures. Prior to discovering these pictures on the Internet, I'd never seen even a single photo of the orange-handled ER1 model outside of a catalog. Frankly, I'd begun to wonder if Cold Steel ever produced more than a production sample.

IMG-2504.jpg

IMG-2505.jpg

IMG-2506.jpg

Next up is the fairly obscure G-10-handled variation of the Pro Guard. Pro Guards were never widely available anyway, and I only ever saw these true G-10 models offered from one or two online vendors in limited quantities. The regular, plastic-handled Pro Guard (always described as possessing "faux G-10 handles," which I suspect is Zytel or something similar) is depicted below or to the the left of the G-10 model for comparison purposes in the photos. Other than the handle materials, they are identical.

IMG-2536.jpg

IMG-2537.jpg

IMG-2538.jpg

IMG-2539.jpg

IMG-2541.jpg

IMG-2542.jpg

IMG-2543.jpg

Finally, I managed to purchase a first-generation Hai Hocho. Until recently, I had no idea that the initial offering of this knife was in any way different from later renderings. I guess I hadn't really paid that much attention to it. During a visit to a knife shop while on vacation several years ago, I saw one on the shelf and immediately recognized the size difference. The proprietor explained that it was from the first run and pointed out some of the changes that Cold Steel had made. Despite the fact that I found it interesting, like an idiot I didn't buy the knife.

Two weeks ago, I found myself back in that knife shop. Hoping against hope, I searched the cases for the Hai Hocho. To my great surprise and joy, I found it still there in a completely different part of the store. (It probably helped that the owner was asking too much for it--my reason for leaving it behind previously. This time, I paid it anyway!)

From the pictures, you'll see that almost everything about the knife was altered after the first run. The blade was lengthened, re-shaped, and radically thinned. The blade grinds and markings were reversed. The handle was lengthened, its shape changed slightly, and its grip pattern modified. The sheath was completely revamped. Even the name font and the model number are different!

IMG-2521.jpg

IMG-2523.jpg

IMG-2524.jpg

IMG-2525.jpg

IMG-2526.jpg

IMG-2527.jpg

IMG-2528.jpg

IMG-2529.jpg

IMG-2530.jpg

IMG-2534.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
Eureka, I've found Excalibur! Well, I've found the Cold Steel version of Excalibur, anyway!

Ladies and gentlemen, while at a show this weekend I was blessed to purchase what I believe to be among the rarest Cold Steel knives in existence. I'm talking about an original Cold Steel Tanto, one of the guardless models that we've been wondering and inquiring about ever since Mr. Lauffer posted this ad that ran in the January 1982 issue of Guns magazine.

IMG-4891.jpg

Yes, one of those Tantos!

IMG-4892.jpg

IMG-4893.jpg

IMG-4894.jpg

IMG-4895.jpg

IMG-4896.jpg

The provenance is solid, too. I bought the knife from a very reputable dealer liquidating the collection of a recently deceased man who was known by the dealer to be a good friend of Lynn Thompson and who had purchased a number of knives from Lynn back in the 1980s and 1990s. I bought several other knives from this collection that were undeniably early Cold Steel, including the original Kraton-handled Tanto that you see in these pictures for scale/comparison.

IMG-4897.jpg

IMG-4898.jpg

While it's unfortunate that the original owner is no longer alive to answer questions about the knife, at least I can offer a few facts now in addition to these photos. The blade is 6 1/8-inches long and 3/16ths-inch thick. The knife is 10 3/4-inches overall and full tang. The handle is black Micarta with brass pins and lanyard tube. The knife is entirely unmarked. The sheath, also unmarked, is very well made and clearly demonstrates the Cold Steel construction style that would be used later on the Kraton Tanto sheath.

IMG-4899.jpg

IMG-4900.jpg

This photo demonstrates the decorative pattern that the Tanto sheath shares with that found on the contemporaneous Urban Shiv sheath.

IMG-4901.jpg

I honestly never thought that I would see one of these knives, let alone find one available for purchase. I'm very excited to be able to share it with you!

Let me see if I can further wow you with another remarkably rare gem that I bought from the same collection. This is an entirely unmarked Urban Shiv prototype.

[Note: While at the time that I posted this I was under the impression that the knife was an Urban Shiv prototype, I later learned that it is a different model that Cold Steel offered very briefly. It is, in fact, the very rare Skeleton.]

IMG-3089.jpg

IMG-3087.jpg

IMG-3085.jpg

As you can see, it's definitely an Urban Shiv, but I have no idea why it's so different from the final version of the knife, shown here for comparison.

IMG-3082.jpg

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-3080.jpg

IMG-3081.jpg

In addition to the differences in blade finish, note the similarities and slight differences in the sheath construction.

These are not my photos, but the knife depicted below is the only other Urban Shiv I've seen with a skeletonized blade. It also is described as a prototype, yet bears the "Urban Shiv" marking and possesses a tan leather version of the final adjustable sheath design.

IMG-3029.jpg

IMG-4890.jpg

The dealer from whom I purchased my prototype speculated that mine might be a proof-of-concept version that the maker constructed for Lynn to see just how lightweight he could make the knife through skeletonization and that perhaps it proved weak or uncomfortable. The "production version" (I'm pretty sure all of the Urban Shivs were hand made) is much more comfortable in the hand, so this seems as likely an explanation as any.

Happy Easter! (Luke 24:5)

-Steve

Last edited:
I almost forgot. The Kraton-handled Tanto was new-in-box, and inside the box was a Tanto brochure that I'd never seen before. I include it for your perusal. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like in the early days Cold Steel engaged KA-BAR Knives to perform re-sharpening services for Cold Steel customers!

IMG-4902.jpg

IMG-4903.jpg

IMG-4904.jpg

IMG-4905.jpg

IMG-4906.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
O...M...G...

Really hoping its not an April Fools joke!

That is frickin awesome! Congrats!

I would love to use some of those Tanto pics for my new History thread.

They used to include those little pamphlets with many of their knives back in the "black box" days. I have them for a few of my Trail Masters and Tantos (regular, Mini, Master, and Magnum Tanto II), Mini Outdoorsman, Mini CA Dro Point, and Terminator.

Last edited:
O...M...G...

Really hoping its not an April Fools joke!

That is frickin awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! I thought you'd enjoy seeing this one! And I assure you that it's no April Fool's Day prank. I don't go for April Fool's nonsense anyway, and I almost didn't post yesterday just so that people wouldn't mistake it for a joke, but I wanted to get the pictures up as soon as I could.

I would love to use some of those Tanto pics for my new History thread.

No problem at all. Use whatever photos you like. I discovered today that some may be slightly blurry. If you need better pictures or want other shots, let me know.

They used to include those little pamphlets with many of their knives back in the "black box" days. I have them for a few of my Trail Masters and Tantos (regular, Mini, Master, and Magnum Tanto II), Mini Outdoorsman, Mini CA Dro Point, and Terminator.

Interesting! Are they unique to each model? Please share them when you can.

-Steve

Eureka, I've found Excalibur! Well, I've found the Cold Steel version of Excalibur, anyway!

I'm talking about an original Cold Steel Tanto, one of the guardless models that we've been wondering and inquiring about ever since Mr. Lauffer posted this ad that ran in the January 1982 issue of Guns magazine.

Yes, one of those Tantos!

SO COOLLLLL ! ! ! ! ! !

Thank you for sharing - I was not even aware of the Tanto.

Been looking for an Urban Shiv - that Prototype is Awesome looking ! Maybe better looking than the production model.

I had the privilege of speaking with Lynn Thompson for a while at Blade Show this past weekend and was able to ask him about the original Tanto that I purchased back in March. He told me that knife is one of approximately six that he had hand-made as pre-production prototypes prior to the development of the Kraton-handled, guarded Tanto model that we know so well. He said the knife is circa 1980, and the sheath was by Ruiz Industries, Inc., out of Glendale, CA, which made many of the early Cold Steel sheaths.

I didn't ask who the knife maker was. I realize that I probably should have, but Lynn didn't offer and I know that he prefers to keep those details under wraps.

-Steve

One of the BEST threads on Bladeforums--- EVER!
So much creativity in mayhem from one company.

One of the BEST threads on Bladeforums--- EVER!

So much creativity in mayhem from one company.

Thanks for that! I'm very glad that you're enjoying the thread.

Creativity in mayhem, indeed! Let me share the Cold Steel ad that first sparked my interest in the company.

gWNaZ48.jpg

No other company at that time was promoting the combative use of the knife. Cold Steel never shied away from the knife's potential as a weapon, and I respected that attitude (and still do).

-Steve

P.S. - In looking more closely at this ad, I noticed that the Tanto pictured possesses no blade markings. Is this possibly one of Joe Cordova's prototypes?

Last edited:
I was recently blessed to acquire a 1991 Special Projects catalog. What a blast from the past and what a treasure trove of data from a period of Cold Steel's history that is woefully lacking!

An interesting feature of the catalog itself is that it is a combination of a Special Projects catalog in one direction, describing Special-Projects-only items

IMG-5565.jpg

and then if you turn it over and flip it upside down, the other half is a standard Cold Steel catalog featuring the regular production line items.

IMG-5584.jpg

I had forgotten that the Special Projects catalog used to feature the occasional military surplus items that Lynn Thompson deemed worthy of inclusion. Also, in this edition, Cold Steel was liquidating a couple of Western Cutlery models purchased from Western as the company went out of business.

IMG-5581.jpg

IMG-5580.jpg

IMG-5582.jpg

The fact that Cold Steel was testing the fillet knives is interesting to me, since years later Cold Steel would go on to offer its own branded version of the Western fillet series, presumably made by Camillus Cutlery after Camillus acquired the Western brand and tooling (ref., https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mini-history-of-cold-steel-srk-and-recon-tanto.1567867/page-2).

Anyway, on to a couple of rare gems from the catalog. Apparently 1991 saw the introduction of the ER1. I never knew it, but there was a first generation of the knife that used Spyderco's serration pattern rather than the Cold Steel pattern appearing on later versions.

IMG-5568.jpg

IMG-5569.jpg

I believe it was actually called the G.I. Commando.

You were absolutely correct about this knife's name. It seems that the former dealer I purchased mine from was mistaken about what Cold Steel called it. We finally get to clear up the mystery of the short-lived G.I. Commando!

IMG-5567.jpg

Also, long ago in this thread, Lapedog asked this question:

Is there any way we can see a picture of how the linerlock adjusts?

At the time, I wasn't sure what you were referencing. Now I see that you were talking about this:

IMG-5589.jpg

Unfortunately, even after reading Cold Steel's original description of the adjustment mechanism, I'm still not positive about what it refers to. I won't take apart my knife, but here are the best photos I can manage of the liner lock's interior.

IMG-5619.jpg

IMG-5622.jpg

I don't see any cam. But as you can hopefully tell from the pictures, the liner lock nests underneath a steel plate. That plate is what the bolt securing the pocket clip passes through. Perhaps you can change the tension on that bolt to adjust the pressure on the plate, which, in turn, adjusts the position of the lock as it rests against base of the blade?

One other rare gem recently turned up on eBay. These aren't my photos or listing, but the knife is a limited edition Recon Tanto that I never knew existed. It's pretty cool to see.

IMG-5405.jpg

IMG-5406.jpg

IMG-5407.jpg

IMG-5409.jpg

IMG-5415.jpg

IMG-5417.jpg

-Steve

Back