Rare Gems

One thing I just noticed when I posted this pic for another (humorous) purpose, is that the tanto Lynn is holding has no guard, so would presumably be one of the OG unicorns like you found. Never noticed that before.

View attachment 1846536

The photographic history of Lynn with his earliest Tantos actually gets even more interesting than that! I was looking closely at the amazing Pistolero article that T tltt shared with us last year. In the pictures, you will see that Lynn is using a guardless Tanto with an extended-tang skull-crusher pommel.

IMG-3372.png

IMG-3371.png

IMG-3370.png

Clearly, this is not one of the guardless Tantos Cold Steel offered for sale. I suspect that it's one of Lynn's personal custom-made knives. It's supposition on my part, but I believe that in those days Lynn was experimenting with various custom tanto designs to figure out which features he wanted on his fighting knife. This looks to me to be another step in the development of the 13A.

By the way, those photos are yet another reason why the story that Lynn "stole" the sword-tip tanto idea from Bob Lum just doesn't add up (never mind the fact that the concept wasn't original to Bob Lum, either). Lynn obviously was having customized tantos built to his own design parameters by makers like Jim Merritt and Joe Cordova in order to test their merits. The Cold Steel Tanto didn't just magically appear after Lynn visited Bob Lum's table at a California knife show. There were multiple stages of development.

Whether or not you want to argue that this

IMG-3408.jpg

was the inspiration for this,

IMG-2946.jpg

there is little doubt that this

IMG-3389.png

IMG-3390.png

was the forebear of this

IMG-3411.jpg

and this.

IMG-3413.jpg

The Cold Steel 13A was most assuredly Lynn Thompson's brainchild.

-Steve

P.S. - I was very sad to learn that Joe Cordova passed away on April 25. He played a major role in the world of custom knives, and he was integral to the history of Cold Steel.

IMG-4444.jpg

Not sure if this aspect is rare or not.

I have a 1st Generation Trailmaster, where the Factory Second marking on the handguard, not the usual ugly 2nd stamped at the end of the handle. Not sure how many CS knives had this marking for being a 2nd compared to the handle stamp. I've looked over the knife closely and can't find anything wrong with it, so whatever made it a 2nd is pretty minor.

Trailmaster_2nd__1_jpg-2538214.JPG

Trailmaster_2nd__2_jpg-2538218.JPG

Not sure if this aspect is rare or not.

I have a 1st Generation Trailmaster, where the Factory Second marking on the handguard, not the usual ugly 2nd stamped at the end of the handle. Not sure how many CS knives had this marking for being a 2nd compared to the handle stamp. I've looked over the knife closely and can't find anything wrong with it, so whatever made it a 2nd is pretty minor.

Trailmaster_2nd__1_jpg-2538214.JPG

Trailmaster_2nd__2_jpg-2538218.JPG
That is indeed an unusual stamp, and thank you for sharing it! I've never seen one like that before. I also have a Trail Master Second with a notation on the guard, but it's just a small "2" stamped into the brass.

IMG-3746.jpg

What is particularly intriguing about yours is that it's first generation. The Trail Master was released in 1987. I'm fairly certain that the Special Projects catalog was introduced in late 1990/early 1991. So my question is this: Where, when, and how were Seconds of first-generation Trail Masters being sold? There was no showroom at Cold Steel back then. And the regular catalog didn't offer Seconds. Either they still had them on the shelves and included them in the earliest Special Projects catalogs, or else they sold them at shows before Special Projects came along.

-Steve

Probably at shows and such. I really don't mind the 2nd on the crossguard, it's interesting in an upside down airplane stamp kind of way, compared to the pretty ugly 2 that's stamped into the end of the handle on most.

Now how did CS mark their 2nd for tantos, as the pommel would prevent the end from being stamped?

Probably at shows and such. I really don't mind the 2nd on the crossguard, it's interesting in an upside down airplane stamp kind of way, compared to the pretty ugly 2 that's stamped into the end of the handle on most.

Now how did CS mark their 2nd for tantos, as the pommel would prevent the end from being stamped?
I don't believe I've ever seen any Tanto Seconds, either in person or in Special Projects catalogs. All the Seconds I recall were Carbon V knives. I'll have to go back and check my old catalogs.

-Steve

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any for sale either. Maybe CS just trashed the 2nds from the Tanto line to keep the standard up of what was available. That said, I can't see anything at all wrong with the Trailmaster that I have that's a 2nd. Cold Steel gets some flack for not being a manufacturer of the knives themselves, and while true, the 80's and 90's models had great quality control, so someone was making them well, and making sure the non-spec ones were either trashed or sold and 2nds.

Good times. It's neat remembering all the old catalogs and new models when they came out.

Back in the 90s, used to get small flyers (1-2 pages) in the mail that had sales, 2nds, specials, etc. Guessing they did the same in the late 80s. I got an SRK, Recon Tanto, and couple Peace Keeper 2nds that way. Was also how I got a Taiwan-made Black Bear Classic that was half the price of the Japan version.

That said, I can't see anything at all wrong with the Trailmaster that I have that's a 2nd. Cold Steel gets some flack for not being a manufacturer of the knives themselves, and while true, the 80's and 90's models had great quality control, so someone was making them well, and making sure the non-spec ones were either trashed or sold and 2nds.

Sometimes, when you can't see anything wrong with a 2nd, it is the angle of the blade lined up with the handle. If its not dead on / off by a degree or so, this could be the reason Cold Steel labeled the knife as a 2nd.

Talking to one of the guys at the Parking Lot sale (short white hair, forget his name at the moment), specifically about a Dragon Fly Wakizashi that I purchased as a 2nd (or as Cold Steel labeled their 2nd swords, with a letter on the plain cardboard retail box). There would be tables full of 2nd swords, just out in their retail boxes, row after row. Cold Steel would label the outside of the plain cardboard boxes with an "A", "B", or "C" for condition. "A" being the best 2nd condition.

Well, I couldn't for the life of me find anything wrong with the sword. Had my brother look at it, he has better eyes than me - nothing wrong. Had the Cold Steel gentleman look at it, after a bit he called over Robert (the guy you see in a lot of the old catalogs). Robert looked at it for a few moments, said it was the angle of the sword, was barely off from true straight. Said I got another great deal. Handed it back to me, smiled and walked away.

Edit: Also said this could be a reason for the 2nd on some knives.

It appears that someone is selling off some of his Phil Boguszewski collection on Arizona Custom Knives, including a few old pieces relevant to Cold Steel's history.

Strangely, it's no longer up on the site, but this prototype of the blue-handled Ti-Lite was there last week.

IMG-4266.jpg

IMG-4267.jpg

IMG-4268.jpg

IMG-4269.jpg

You can see even more of the titanium Ti-Lite's direct lineage in this purple-handled version.

IMG-4282.jpg

IMG-4283.jpg

IMG-4284.jpg

IMG-4285.jpg

Interestingly, Boguszewski constructed his own version of the old "Jacob's Ladder" or tri-fold pattern knife. I don't remember whether he played a role in the development of the Triple Action, but his knife certainly shares some design features with Cold Steel's models.

IMG-4277.jpg

IMG-4278.jpg

IMG-4279.jpg

-Steve

It's nice to be able to update this thread with some new items. It's been awhile.

First up, however, some housekeeping. Last year, I asked this question regarding 1 1stID 's first-generation Trail Master Second.

What is particularly intriguing about yours is that it's first generation. The Trail Master was released in 1987. I'm fairly certain that the Special Projects catalog was introduced in late 1990/early 1991. So my question is this: Where, when, and how were Seconds of first-generation Trail Masters being sold? There was no showroom at Cold Steel back then. And the regular catalog didn't offer Seconds. Either they still had them on the shelves and included them in the earliest Special Projects catalogs, or else they sold them at shows before Special Projects came along.

I recently dug out my 1991 Special Projects catalog and discovered that I should have been able to answer my own inquiry if I had paid closer attention! Cold Steel was offering first-generation Trail Master Seconds and Master Hunter Seconds in the earliest Special Projects catalogs.

IMG-4735.jpg

OK, on to some new rare gems.

Pioneer Valley Knife recently offered two exclusive XL G-10 Espadas that they produced in their custom shop. The first was called "Persian" and it had one graphic on the front scale and a different image on the rear scale.

IMG-4720.jpg

IMG-4719.jpg

The second model was called "Birth Machine" and it bore the same graphic on both sides.

IMG-4724.jpg

IMG-4727.jpg

This idea of a retailer printing its own custom image on a stock G-10 knife handle is pretty novel (at least I've not seen it done before except for store advertising purposes). I don't know how difficult/complex the graphic transfer process is, but I suspect the practice will catch on quickly and we'll see a lot more customized G-10 knife handle prints being offered in the future.

Here's an interesting one from several months ago on eBay. Up for sale were the 2002 paper and digital design drawings for a never-produced Cold Steel folding filet knife proposed for manufacture at Camillus. Camillus was still thriving at that time, so I wonder why the model never went into production.

IMG-4365.jpg

IMG-4360.jpg

IMG-4361.jpg

IMG-4363.jpg

I ran across a knife sales site recently on which a genuine colored-handle Mini Pal had been sold (unfortunately before I saw it!). As I'd never before seen images of one of these knives outside of a single catalog, I grabbed the pictures for posterity and thought I'd share them.

IMG-4703.jpg

IMG-4704.jpg

IMG-4705.jpg

IMG-4706.jpg

IMG-4707.jpg

In your own searches, don't forget that there are counterfeit Mini Pals out there with colored handles. If you find one that doesn't have the provenance of this one with the proper labeling and the original black box, be very wary before buying.

-Steve

It's nice to be able to update this thread with some new items. It's been awhile.

First up, however, some housekeeping. Last year, I asked this question regarding 1 1stID 's first-generation Trail Master Second.

I recently dug out my 1991 Special Projects catalog and discovered that I should have been able to answer my own inquiry if I had paid closer attention! Cold Steel was offering first-generation Trail Master Seconds and Master Hunter Seconds in the earliest Special Projects catalogs.

IMG-4735.jpg

OK, on to some new rare gems.

Pioneer Valley Knife recently offered two exclusive XL G-10 Espadas that they produced in their custom shop. The first was called "Persian" and it had one graphic on the front scale and a different image on the rear scale.

IMG-4720.jpg

IMG-4719.jpg

The second model was called "Birth Machine" and it bore the same graphic on both sides.

IMG-4724.jpg

IMG-4727.jpg

This idea of a retailer printing its own custom image on a stock G-10 knife handle is pretty novel (at least I've not seen it done before except for store advertising purposes). I don't know how difficult/complex the graphic transfer process is, but I suspect the practice will catch on quickly and we'll see a lot more customized G-10 knife handle prints being offered in the future.

Here's an interesting one from several months ago on eBay. Up for sale were the 2002 paper and digital design drawings for a never-produced Cold Steel folding filet knife proposed for manufacture at Camillus. Camillus was still thriving at that time, so I wonder why the model never went into production.

IMG-4365.jpg

IMG-4360.jpg

IMG-4361.jpg

IMG-4363.jpg

I ran across a knife sales site recently on which a genuine colored-handle Mini Pal had been sold (unfortunately before I saw it!). As I'd never before seen images of one of these knives outside of a single catalog, I grabbed the pictures for posterity and thought I'd share them.

IMG-4703.jpg

IMG-4704.jpg

IMG-4705.jpg

IMG-4706.jpg

IMG-4707.jpg

In your own searches, don't forget that there are counterfeit Mini Pals out there with colored handles. If you find one that doesn't have the provenance of this one with the proper labeling and the original black box, be very wary before buying.

-Steve

Great stuff / info. Absolutely love the Persian.

Spyderco Catcherman – C17 Knife Model

The folding fillet reminds me of this knife. I purchased one in the early 90's. Mine is fully serrated, very thin, flexible blade.

Yeah, I thought it looked a lot like the Catcherman, too. It would be difficult to design a folding filet knife that doesn't. I'm guessing you're right and that's why Cold Steel never made it.

Still, it's interesting to see a Cold Steel design that never left the drawing board. I hope that more of these are unearthed over time.

-Steve

I bought a neat Trailmaster on eBay last week.

It's a Carbon V, but was made in Japan. Almost all their Japaneese made Trailmasters were stainless, with a stainless guard. I'd read on the Trailmaster topic that apparently in the early 90's, CS was having issues getting them made in the US, so they had their Japanese contractors make them.

Mine, like the other, has the early notch (there's a real name for it that I forget - ricarro?), on the underside, and so is the 1st Generation model.

Got a pretty good deal on it, for what it is - 375. Was high bidder at 175 till about 3 seconds left in the auction, someone tried to buy it. They didn't win, but cost me 200 bucks, those bastards!!!

Trailmaster___16C_jpg-3177576.JPG

Trailmaster___16C__left_side_jpg-3177577.JPG

Trailmaster___16C__right_side_jpg-3177578.JPG

Back