Rarest Schrade? Nope... One of the Nicest? I think so!

G'day Dave and Eric and thanks for your support. The established protocol is certainly taking a hammering re current auctions, anyway I thought I better set the record straight as I dont need my credibility being called into question with regards Schrades.
I have added some info to my listing which I didnt put originally as it sounds like a typical Ebay pump up.
This knife was obtained about 3 years ago from member Ikedoc who would be one of the most respected Schrade sellers on Ebay and elsewhere and no doubt will chime in shortly.
It was a SAMPLE knife he obtained from the original factory collection sale and is indeedy a genuine Ellenville Schrade, and as such was probably used to show the Company's prior to production on the Pro Rodeo ...and Schrade Tang stamp would have been hardly needed to promote to Copenhagen/Skoal....He calls the blade gun blued and the gold etch to blade is indeed 24K. There are at least 3 photos showing the nail nick on blade so I cannot be held responsible for folks' need for new glasses.
I added the sheath as I have dozens of them and I have been trying to educate Australians about Schrade in my Ebay listings and I always supply Retail Price lists from 1990,1996 and 2004 Anniversary to every Oz buyer and I find myself fielding many many queries. All these Oz collectors are potential members of this Forum if given a chance and I always refer them to it. I called the handle in the absence of anyone knowing precisely heavy Schrade plastic but mentioned the alternative possibilities as 90% of my buyers are Oz and they do not know the term Delrin well. It is indeed IMO black Delrin as Eric suggests. I have a very low price on this knife and nothing like that price on the other which should give a genuine collector a nose bleed.....
This talk of rarest Schrade could perhaps be contained to the 3OT <only 1 in existance and photographed in Sargents'> or the Walden Golden Spike <only one seen to date by this Forum> or perhaps the Gold Calendar <only one seen to date> or perhaps No1 Russell Barlow or No 1 Liberty Bell or the only Walden Divers knife Mint in Box in captivity etc etc... all my knives shown previously on here....and I have seen some absolute gems displayed by other members on here and very rare/scarce......
Thinking before engaging mouth I have always found a useful exercise..... Hoo Roo...

I go on record stating that Larry would never misrepresent any knife and neither would I !
We all know there were many many oddities in the Schrades. Sometimes, perhaps it is easier for some to just classify any not so familiar knife as a end of days knife or something that has been tampered with? Rest assured, that is not the case here as this knife was sold by me and I vouch for the knife and Larry as well, 100%!
Dennis / dwygtd.com / ikedoc

I think what the knife sells for will tell the tale cause if its a great knife then shrewd collectors will buy it.
Maybe
Maybe the SHREWD collectors won't bid on if because of the crappy, small, out of focus, low, shadowy lighting, and funky angle photography style:thumbdn:
Too many information asymmetry issues, for me anyways........

as it sounds like a typical Ebay pump up.
so you decide to pump it up here in the Schrade Forum?
I thought you were done with us
"go to hell"
"sheer jeaoulsy"
"limp wrists"
Called us all a bunch of losers regarding your alleged ULTRA-rare calendar knife and something about some dude "authenticating it"
Remember??
I think I will report you for violation of "deal spotting"

Thinks Too Much===>
You should hang out in BRL's forum since you LOVE TANG stamps!!!:D
He will tell you all you need to know about tang stamps;)

Welcome to BF!!!
You telling US Schrade collectors to "beware" actually made me kinda chuckle....

Trent, that really isn't necessary, Larry didn't initiate the thread or mention the sale, and he has every right to prove it's authenticity, which I have to admit is something he goes to far greater lengths than many of us here to achieve. With all the work he DOES do in authenticating his knives, you might understand his anger at folks who question what he has without even getting off their chairs to do some research themselves. A lot of us were pissed off about that outburst, but I can equally understand where it was coming from, lets just let bygones be bygones once and for all. Frankly there's really nothing wrong with the pictures, it's obvious to any Schrade collector that it's a legit knife.

Eric

Verbal violence! :)
Gently, gentlemen ...

It is in fact a serious violation of Bladeforums rules to discuss a live auction. We give some leeway to collector forums in this, but talk of pricing is way out of bounds. The knife in question could be analyzed just as well after the auction is over.

Verbal violence! :)
Gently, gentlemen ...

It is in fact a serious violation of Bladeforums rules to discuss a live auction. We give some leeway to collector forums in this, but talk of pricing is way out of bounds. The knife in question could be analyzed just as well after the auction is over.

xxxxx

Last edited:
Maybe
Maybe the SHREWD collectors won't bid on if because of the crappy, small, out of focus, low, shadowy lighting, and funky angle photography style:thumbdn:
Too many information asymmetry issues, for me anyways........

so you decide to pump it up here in the Schrade Forum?
I thought you were done with us
"go to hell"
"sheer jeaoulsy"
"limp wrists"
Called us all a bunch of losers regarding your alleged ULTRA-rare calendar knife and something about some dude "authenticating it"
Remember??
I think I will report you for violation of "deal spotting"

Thinks Too Much===>
You should hang out in BRL's forum since you LOVE TANG stamps!!!:D
He will tell you all you need to know about tang stamps;)

Welcome to BF!!!
You telling US Schrade collectors to "beware" actually made me kinda chuckle....

Thanks for the tip I will check it out.

Dave,

You never answered my question: Do you have the knife in your possession?

Can you say for sure that it's got ebony handles? Do you have some kind of written documentation that the blades are boron coated? If not then you have no more right than anyone else to say that they are.

My guess, and it's only a guess mind you since the knives were apparently made years apart, is that their composition is one and the same: Black delrin handles, liquid blued blades, brass bolsters (yours weren't made to appear golden, they're patina'd from not being polished for nine years), etc. I think that Schrade had a bunch of these setups left over from the Cope days and found a great way to unload some with DU. That's how they did business and how they got rid of excess inventory. If you've got some way to prove otherwise, fine, like I said it's a nice and rare knife.

Larry's got just as much right as every other "expert" on this forum to sell his knives as he sees fit. He's not a dealer, he's a collector with some extras that he wants to get rid of. He's never once mentioned on these forums that he was selling anything, and the only time he brought it up was when you questioned the legitimacy of a knife he was selling. What would you have done if the roles were reversed? Just sit back and not get involved because it might be a "conflict of interest"? Not be the slightest bit angry? I doubt it. You've shown him absolutely no respect, so why should you expect it in return? Just let the potential bidders sort out the wording and drop it, Esav didn't post that warning for nothing.

Eric

PS- I just can't get around how it would be possible to cut a detailed etch like that into a coated blade without cooking the coating off the edges of the cut. There's a lot of heat generated in laser etching. I think you should focus these questions at Ray if you haven't gotten the knife yet.

Last edited:
Dave, you think to much. Larry un doubtedly has some of the rarest Schrades i've ever seen and i've been at this a while, my collection is well over 600 Schrades. As far as rare goes i have a Schrade Walden Old Timer Camp Knife, much like the Ulster but with sawcut delrin and the old timer shield. I have pictured this knife a few times and never heard of another one, It can be seen in Collectors corner along with a portion of my collection. There are alot of rare Schrades out there, and i wish we could just share our knowledge instead of it always getting personal, thats one of the reasons i don't hang here much anymore, knife collecting is supposed to be FUN!!!!! happy collecting, G.M

Dave, you think to much. Larry un doubtedly has some of the rarest Schrades i've ever seen and i've been at this a while, my collection is well over 600 Schrades. As far as rare goes i have a Schrade Walden Old Timer Camp Knife, much like the Ulster but with sawcut delrin and the old timer shield. I have pictured this knife a few times and never heard of another one, It can be seen in Collectors corner along with a portion of my collection. There are alot of rare Schrades out there, and i wish we could just share our knowledge instead of it always getting personal, thats one of the reasons i don't hang here much anymore, knife collecting is supposed to be FUN!!!!! happy collecting, G.M

G.M.,
I haven't seen that knife before. Gonna have to go check it out. What I do have is an Ulster Boy Scout camp knife with the sawcut delrin handles and the Boy Scout Shield. I hadn't seen one like that until I found this one.

I was gonna, and still intend to, post pics in the Latest Schrade thread, but haven't had much time to take pics lately. Anyone else seen one of these?

Sorry I took so long in posting these numbers. I'll look for the orders
Here are some numbers for the LB7DU
Stock # S0904605
1995 57 were made 0 shipped
1996 32 shipped
1997, 98 , 99 1 each were shipped
2000 5 shipped.
by 2001 the inventory was at 0.
Rare Yes, Rarest no.

Those #s help a lot. Great info and it makes me happy to hear. I gotta ask, when you say DU-Lb-7s do you mean this exact configuration that I have or various customs LB-7s for DU in general? Am I to understand my knife was made in 1995? Thanks a lot, Irv!!!

Sorry I took so long in posting these numbers. I'll look for the orders
Here are some numbers for the LB7DU
Stock # S0904605
1995 57 were made 0 shipped
1996 32 shipped
1997, 98 , 99 1 each were shipped
2000 5 shipped.
by 2001 the inventory was at 0.
Rare Yes, Rarest no.

Hey Irv, did Schrade coat their own knives or did they send the blades out for that? I'm pretty sure Bodycoat's "Diamond Black" came into existance in 1995 and wondered specifically if my blade was coated by them with that. Thanks, thanks, thanks Irv! I did drop a couple bucks on this LB7DU and I love getting these kinda details. How is it that you have access to this kinda info Irv?

Well, I got my knife and it is in most excellent condition in OG display-box but I too am now sceptical as far as it being real ebony handles. Also the blade seems blued not coated. I called dealer and he will take it back for full refund if I don't want to keep it but I think I still do cause it is a rare and beautiful knife none-the-less. ea42: "Black delrin handles, liquid blued blades, brass bolsters (yours weren't made to appear golden, they're patina'd from not being polished for nine years". When you are right you are right and your guesses bout blade, bolsters and handles seem dead on. I prefer the actual sheen to this blade better than what I expected to see in a flat-black coated blade so to me blade difference is a pleasant surprise so I'm taking the good with the bad. I'm trying to come up with some non-destructive teks to test the handles definitively but haven't found a home-style one yet though I am 99.9% sure its delrin etc. I am hoping Irv can come up with some more hard-info for me. Buyer beware lol! I do like how the tang-stamp is perfectly gold-filled as well to match etching. It is still a very beautiful knife in near-perfect condition and is factory sharp as the day it was made. It's still the LB-7 I want to have. Dave

You need to post a picture. If you can't post a pict email it to me and I will for you.
Schrade could and did most anything to their blades. They did farm out a lot of the coating so more digging is required. I was reading and saw that they used the "extra" blades from their WWII set in DU orders. Not much went to waste.
The gold etching was called "Baron". I don't know what Baron is so more research required there.

Found Baron http://www.barontechnology.com/services.htm They did the WWII set in the early 90's

Last edited:
Irv,
I do believe it was Baron Technologies that did these blade enhancements for Schrade. Hope this helps.

Back