1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rat 1 and Rat 2 factory edges...

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by KennyB, Sep 8, 2019.

1. KennyB

KennyB

Jan 19, 2010
    Okay I know this is kind of a silly issue to complain about for such an affordable knife, with such high quality in all other facets, but...

Holy moly are the bevel angles on these uneven! I'm not talk about, "Oh yeah they were a little off and I'm a knifenut so my OCD kicked in," I mean one side had to be about 10 degrees, while the other was the more typical 20ish. If I look down the blade against some light, it looks almost like a chisel grind.

I was thinking I just got unlucky, but I checked out the Limited Edition CG/G10 Rat 1 that I threw in a drawer and it too was just as uneven as the Rat 2 that I just ordered and received today. I EDC'd another one of the Limited Edition Rat 1 D2 models with the nylon handles for about a year and a half before losing it, but I had re-profiled it immediately so I'm not sure I ever examined the edge bevel on it.

Not knocking OKC... These are phenomenally high quality knives for super affordable prices, which I was kind of counting on in case I keep losing them haha Just wondered if I just got unlucky, and thought maybe it should be brought to OKC's attention. Maybe the the sharpening personnel need more coffee breaks :p

2. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    That’s unfortunate.

I have five of these and found all the edges to be quite good, even out to the tips.

3. tshows

tshows

Apr 26, 2015
    I have a Rat 1 and a Rat 2 both AUS 8 and they were fine right out of the box.

Beastchopper likes this.
  4. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    I’ve bought 4 rats and all were fine out of the boxes. My SP5 on the other hand was dull as a butter knife and the grinds were awful. It took a but of work on the stones to get it right... but for the money, I’m not complaining. Just great deals on their products.

5. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    Got a Rat 1 & Rat 2, both in D2 steel. The bevel angles are even on both, for the entire cutting edge.

6. PRNDLtech

PRNDLtech Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 17, 2019
    OP, I have bought a bunch of RAT 1’s and 2’s over the years and every single one of them was just like yours. The bevels were somewhat even but the angle was no where near the same. 8-10* on one side and like 20* on the other.

7. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    My rat 2 in d2 has a even edge. Better then expected given the price point.

8. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I had a RAT 1 from Walmart (green covers, Aus 8 blade) that I lost while bicycling. (stupid I for trusting a pocket clip.)
    Grinds were even and it was sharp out of the hangpack.

9. Michael Sankewitsch

Michael Sankewitsch

Nov 4, 2018
    I am not so sure this is my first OKC ever, but it's the first bought in modern times, on purpose. No complaints about anything, ready to rock right out of the box. Glad I saw a post elsewhere about the D2 price, have wanted a D2 knife for a while now, just didn't want to pay the premium of other manufactures OR, what they had for pattern I was not interested in. Got it today...

best D2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019