RAT 1 Carry Question

afishhunter

Gold Member
Presuming I can ensure I don't lose the screws or clip:

Should I take the clip off my RAT 1, and carry it in a belt sheath?

I am not particularly a "fan" of pocket clips, and don't really trust them to keep a knife in my pocket; especially when riding my bicycle or adult trike.

I carry mine in a Buck 110 black polyester sheath, it's to much knife for my pocket.

I carry mine in a Buck 110 black polyester sheath, it's to much knife for my pocket.
I was thinking of using one of my nylon 110 sheaths to carry it.
Now if I can relocate one of them itty bitty Ziploc bags I have that came with a build your own coil vape tank to store the clip screws in ...

I just moved the clip to where I would use it in a pocket, then don't use it.
I thought about a leather sheath but the nylon was cheaper. :rolleyes:

It will be securely there provided it stays attached to your belt correctly.

Also, sheaths have the added benefit of being highly effective at repelling attractive women from your presence, just short of the capabilities of fanny packs.

Where do you plan to carry the knife on the bike or trike? I like to carry them in my saddle bag but it's also a very small knife and not my EDC.

I have started carrying a spyderco military with a short lanyard and removed the clip but I'm not sure how well that would work with the Rat 1. The G10 of the spyderco helps grip the pockets a little better, IMO.

I do think the clip of the RAT-1 and 2 do a good job keeping the knife where it's supposed to be but it's not as good a sheath with a closure system.

I recommend a Benchmade soft sheath, it's a narrow and compact.

Soft Sheaths
All soft sheaths are 1680-denier poly-ballistic nylon
with liners and Velcro® closures. Made in USA.
981086F – Soft Sheath, small (1.625" W x 5" D), black

981087F – Soft Sheath, large (2" W x 5.25" D), black

981717F – Soft Sheath, 4" Bali-Song® Series, black

Where do you plan to carry the knife on the bike or trike? I like to carry them in my saddle bag but it's also a very small knife and not my EDC.

I have started carrying a spyderco military with a short lanyard and removed the clip but I'm not sure how well that would work with the Rat 1. The G10 of the spyderco helps grip the pockets a little better, IMO.

I do think the clip of the RAT-1 and 2 do a good job keeping the knife where it's supposed to be but it's not as good a sheath with a closure system.
On my belt. :)
If/when I wear cycling shorts they are under my jeans or cargo pants/shorts.
Since I'm (a) not aerodynamic (b) unfast (c) old and deformed (d) pulling a cargo trailer 99.8% of the time, I'm not too worried about any additional wind resistance caused by my clothing.
I do keep a reproduction 111mm SAK Bundeswehr in my bike and trike's tool bag. :)
The saw is handy for taking down those branches on the bike paths that want to slap you in the face or force you into oncoming traffic. :)

Depending on where you live, keeping a knife in a bag is considered conceal carry.
Idaho.
Folding knife with under 3" blade. I only keep a knife (or knives) that is normally carried in a pocket in the tool bag.
Since it is not considered concealed carry in your pocket no matter where you are, I don't have to worry about it.

Idaho is an unusual state when it comes to concealed carry. If you are over 21, (I was 21 ... 42 years ago) you don't need a CCW permit to carry concealed.
The Idaho CCW permit is optional. However, since all the neighboring states have reciprocal agreements on CCW's you really only need the Idaho permit if you go to one of the neighbors or other states that recognize the Idaho CCW (like Florida) and want to carry concealed there.
Idaho also let's you open carry.
I've only noticed 3 or 4 (exculding law enforcement) who open carried a handgun.

I really need to get another 1858 Remington 'New Army' ... and maybe a couple .44 Special conversation cylinders ...

I'd you don't like to pocket carry a rat 1 then... as the other poster pointed out, you answered your own question.

As a middle aged, kinda fat guy, who never wears skinny jeans... I can tolerate the rat1 for pocket carry and I was fine with the clip.

Presuming I can ensure I don't lose the screws or clip:

Should I take the clip off my RAT 1, and carry it in a belt sheath?

I am not particularly a "fan" of pocket clips, and don't really trust them to keep a knife in my pocket; especially when riding my bicycle or adult trike.

Personally I'd put a paracord lanyard on the knife with a quick detachable clip. Then wear a paracord necklace with the other half of the qd clip.

Wear the knife around your neck, under your shirt so your not digging around your pack for it when you need it.

You gotta be kidding me ....wear a 4oz 4.5in handled folder as a neck knife??!! If your just walking from the truck to the cabin maybe...otherwise...lol

I went with sheath carry.
I have not lost or misplaced the screws ... They are in a vape tip case.
I have, however, misplaced the clip ... :oops::confused:

Back