Rat 2, very impressed

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by Takoma, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Takoma

Takoma

Dec 30, 2016
    I’m usually posting over in the Buck forum, but had to give Ontario props on the Rat 2 D2 I got as a Christmas present. It has quickly become my knife of choice for everyday carry. Wonderful product. I may have to grab a Rat 1 now!

Psy223, LG&M, Wormil and 2 others like this.
  2. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    Yep. +1. Great value in those knives. My first recommendation when asked for a starter knife for a non knife knut.

Psy223 and sv4 like this.
  3. Ron L

Ron L Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    I have one in regular EDC rotation. Great versatile knife, especially for the price. I’ve given a couple to coworkers who constantly asked to borrow my knife, “here, now you have your own.” :)

sv4 likes this.
  4. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Easily some of the best value in the knife world. One of the first i will recommend to anyone interested in getting a knife.

sv4 likes this.
  5. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    Both the Ontario Rat 1 & 2 models are excellent. Especially in D2 :thumbsup:

jmh33 likes this.
  6. bobshoy

bobshoy Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I carry a model 1 for work every day. Mine is AUS-8 and due to the work it does I'm sharpening it very regularly. Would I notice a significant change in the durability of the blade in D2?

7. Takoma

Takoma

Dec 30, 2016
    And...I picked up a Rat 1 for camping/hiking. Partially serrated in Aus-8. Lol. I got Rat fever. Another great knife for a great price.

Psy223 likes this.
  8. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    The Rat 2 in D2 is among the best pocket knives under $40 that can be purchased as far as I'm concerned. They are fantastic knives with good steel, smooth action, and fantastic ergonomics. As I've gotten more and more in to knives, I've moved on to higher priced offerings with premium materials, but the Rat 2 still hangs out in my permanent collection to remind me that you don't have to spend a ton to get a phenomenal knife.

I also keep a Rat 2 D2 and Morakniv Basic 511 in my camping gear in case someone is in need. Those two can handle just about any job that comes up at the campsite and at $50 total for the two, it doesn't break the bank when I give them out. :)

MolokaiRider likes this.
  9. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I've found better edge retention in D2 over my AUS8A knives.

Holds an edge better than my 1095 knives as well.

Just watched a video with a side by side rope cut with two Rat folders.... the D2 out cut the aus8a 2 to 1. 64 cuts to 120 before the D2 reached the same level of edge loss.

10. American Lawlessman

American Lawlessman

Jan 9, 2018
    A Rat II is my EDC. I don't go anywhere without it. I have become partial to smaller folders for EDC. And the Rat II perfect.