Rat-3, ESEE 3, BK2 or BK16??

F3X

Looking for one of the above, my local shop doesn't have a good selection.
Anyone have opinion on them that actually has one or more?

I already have a BK7. so looking for a little smaller blade. (also have Moras)

BK2 Heavy, Indestructible. Sheath??
Rat3? Sort of on top of the list.
ESEE-3 ? Worth the extra cost over RAT?
BK16? Not impressed with the sheath. Liking the blade though.

Any Thoughts???
TIA.

I have tested them all

What are you planning on using it for??

the BK 2 is a Much different knife than the RAT/ESEE 3

Yea, I think the bk2 is a bit over the top. Read crowbar with an edeg :)
Rat 3
Or
ESEE 3 Any worthwile difference?

Bk 16? Still in the running. How is the sheath that comes with that one?

ESEE v Rat sheath. Does the Rat have the better kydex sheath?

Rat, BK16, about the same money. ESEE a bit more.

Last edited:
I was actually trying to compare the 3...and came a search led me here. Small world! I will continue lurking.

Rat 3
Or
ESEE 3 Any worthwile difference?

Yes.

The ESEE version is about $20 more, but comes with a better heat treat and an unconditional lifetime warranty. If you snap it in half, they'll send you a new one.

The BK-2 is a pound of steel which I wouldn't want to lug around every time I go to the woods, plus if you already have a 7 it's pretty much redundant.

The ESEE-3 is a good knife, but I sometimes feel like it might snap, the blade is very thin. Plus the handle isn't the greatest thing in the world.

The 16 has a good blade thickness and length for most bushcraft tasks, and the handle is just perfect. It's even better when you strip the coating off and put some liners under the scales. The sheath actually isn't that bad.

The BK16 is a great knife and the sheath is very serviceable. I modded mine.
IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

For general camp duty and all around wilderness play, the BK16 is an AWESOME knife. I stripped mine and put an AT@M splitting edge on it...just love this knife.
In fact, its going in the BOB right now...I had just swapped it out, but what the hell was I thinking?!

The more I see the BK16 the more I like it. I've had a RC3 for years but I rarely use it. My biggest fault with the design is the choil. Hate it. If the edge would come straight down to the handle, it would be perfect. But as is, it's just awkward for me. YMMV

Maybe I should look at a BK16

I have an RC3 and think it is a great all around knife. It seems that most either really like or dislike the choil, either way it helps you to choke up for fine work and gives the feeling of smaller blade for fine detail.

The RC3 is a thinner blade and a better slicer than most of the ESEE line and plenty stout for anything you'd should be using a knife for.

Pulled the trigger on a ESEE 3milp. Sheath, warranty, reviews made the difference.

Thanks for all the great input!

F3X, congrats. Feel free to share pictures after you get it.

The more I see the BK16 the more I like it. I've had a RC3 for years but I rarely use it. My biggest fault with the design is the choil. Hate it. If the edge would come straight down to the handle, it would be perfect. But as is, it's just awkward for me. YMMV

Maybe I should look at a BK16

Never owned an ESEE 3. I have others including the 4. I like it a lot but it has noticeable weight compared to the Becker 16, if that is a consideration. I've also owned the BK-2 for years and still like it. Yes it does have weight but it never felt like a hinderence to me outdoors. I wore it for much of a year and would forget about it during the day. The Becker 16 is a really sweet knife. Light weight to the point were I modified the sheath and use it as a necker. It feels ergonomicly wonderful in hand and it is truly one of my favourite knives.

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

Never owned an ESEE 3. I have others including the 4. I like it a lot but it has noticeable weight compared to the Becker 16, if that is a consideration. I've also owned the BK-2 for years and still like it. Yes it does have weight but it never felt like a hinderence to me outdoors. I wore it for much of a year and would forget about it during the day. The Becker 16 is a really sweet knife. Light weight to the point were I modified the sheath and use it as a necker. It feels ergonomicly wonderful in hand and it is truly one of my favourite knives.

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

Not to hijack this thread, but I love what you did to that sheath. Could you post a few slightly more detailed pics and elaborate what you did over on the Becker forum?

I am hearing good things about the Becker 16
When I am next in the US it will be a serious contender on my want list

My choice would be the ESEE 3. I have one and I love it to me its the perfect woods knife. It is small, light weight, and tough as nails. I prefer it over the Becker and the Rat as in my experience the heat treat on it is a class above the Ontario and Kabar heat treats. Also the sheath is much better on the ESEE than any of the other choices listed.

The ESEE-3MIL-P came in and I think its will be a great "companion" knife for the Camillis Becker BK7 & Moras. Great F&F and a nice factory edge. Grippy and slim but that's what I was looking for. I think the BK16 would have been a good choice also.

While researching this size of blade I also ordered a wood Condor Bushlore, I looked at the cost and old school sheath plus the reviews I have seen so I think I am covered. I will update when the Bushlore arrives.

Last edited:
Back