Rat Generations

How does know if a Rat is a Gen. 1, 2, et al? I've looked everywhere to find a description or criteria. Is there a resource?

Unfortunately, this is likely unique with each knife. For instance, the 1st gen howling rat had the resiprene handle with a small choil. The 2nd gen had a larger choil as the only difference. The vex might be referred to by generations as well, with the gen 1 being the hand-shaped micarta with D2 steel, where the gen 2 are shaped slightly differently, coated and have a variety of handle materials. The original ratweiler can also be said to have two generations - the early batches where their handles were milled to create more of a rounded shape slab and the later ones were more boxy. There is usually some noted difference between the generations.

All that said, Swamp Rat knives in general can be referred to by generations as a whole, with the first generation of knives being those made with resiprene. The second gen would be those like the ratweiler, rat daddy, desert jack, etc, those having that particular handing shape. Third generation rats would be the M-handles.... My knowledge gets spotty after that.

Anyway, I do hope that helps some.

Back