1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Rat II D2 Blade Tip Clearance

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by salimoneus, Sep 12, 2019.

1. salimoneus

salimoneus

Aug 14, 2011
    The tip clearance on this knife is a bit too close for comfort on my example. I barely have any finger nails and can fairly easily dig the tip out with one of my nubs. Just gently rubbing a finger across the end I can feel the tip digging in slightly.

Is this typical for this model, or did I receive one that is slightly out of spec?

Of course not the end of the world, but it's not too hard to imagine some bunched up pocket cloth getting caught up in there and deploying the blade during removal, or any number of other feasible scenarios.

There's a lot to like about this budget folder, but not sure if I can get past the tip being that exposed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    I just compared your pictures to my new Rat 2 D2. The tip on mine is more recessed, so it looks like yours is indeed a bit out of spec, maybe insufficiently ground off. I can't feel the tip when I rub my finger against the end of my Rat 2.

3. D2FB

D2FB

Aug 14, 2009
    I will try to get a photo but I actually have a rat 1 aus8 that was in the tip up position when I bought. I recently reached into pocket that it was clipped to and sliced the outer edge of pinkie that rubbed the edge. Switched clip to tip down, it may also grind tip a bit. I compared to two Other rat 1s that I have and the offending one definitely has a more exposed blade tip

4. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    My rat 2 does not have that problem. It's well below the handle.