Rat Satin Finish (RSF) ?

Rat Satin Finish (RSF) ?

What is a Rat Satin Finish? Think of it as a Satin finish with character! Busse Combat calls it their Busse Industrial Grade (BIG Satin) finish, we call it our Rat Satin Finish (RSF). I like our name better!!!

Over the years, I have operated an enormous number of machines from 100+ year old ACME screw machines (I'm not kidding they're real and still in use!) to the modern day CNC's that can do just about anything. No matter the age of the machinery, they all have one thing in common: they all make unique marks in metal, giving them their own distinction from one to another. Although many of the marks are similar, the marks can change ever so slightly from piece to piece. That is just how it works. This is how they can tell which gun fired which bullet, so on and so forth. To me it's just one more individual personality trait that makes a blade unique. They are the individual "fingerprints", if you will, of every single blade. These marks tell the history of the blade. Now, I realize that hand applying a satin finish will remove most, if not all, of these marks and makes for a more uniform finish, but it is at the expense of sacrificing the uniqueness of each and every blade.

So, give me those machine marks! I love 'em!!!

Rat Satin Rules!!!!

XKaZlBF.jpg

I get it bro with the uniqueness. However, to me it’s like saying “no two cars done in primer are the same”. It’s just....not finished. I’m a satin fan boy I suppose.

Some love immaculate finishes... I agree there's a place for them.

But in a knife that I'm gonna use, some of these machining marks not only gives it character, but I think it's beautiful. Perfect imperfections. Like patina. Just different.

Bring it on! Rat Satin Finish!

Depending on the level of finish, here are some alternatives to consider (since you got a question mark in your header), from fine to coarse:

Swamp Jewel Finish
Rodent Rubbed Finish
Rat Scratched Finish

Swamp Jewel Finish:
  • Keeps the nomenclature consistent with "Swamp Comp"
  • "Jewel" as with Jeweled finishes in firearms from fine milling work.
  • These are the jewels of the swamp. Functional treasures. Not intended for solely ornamental purposed.
Rodent Rubbed:
  • Not quite a "polish", more rubbed and burnished than a raw finish.
  • Think the level of "Satin" achieved by having thousands of rodents running by the piece, constantly running their abrasive coats on the surface. The result of the blood sweat and hairs of the working rodents.
Rat Scratched:
  • The coarsest, half way between Comp finish and BIG Satin, where the distinct deep machine marks are well defined.
  • R RATequila and @MaxRat finally got tied of thinking about the potential/impemding machine uprising, and instead employed a group of nuclear-injected power rats to do the finishing work. They were given finish specs, but we're purposefully left to figure out how to achieve it. So they Scratched the best way they knew how with their tech-enhamced SR-Claws and SR-Teeth. Giving it not only character, but leaving traces of their SR-Superiority on the blades.

Last edited:
To me the modern machining used on these blades is modern art. There is just as much character as, for a lack of better term, a “non-machined” product.

You don’t just walk into a machine shop or step up to a CNC and start pushing buttons. Craftsmanship is involved

Again... modern art.

Not to mention the product you get for the price point....

This R RATequila guy gets it, somebody get him a drink already. Maybe a raise too, while you’re at it Busse people... LOL!!!!

This announcement just made my week, heck... probably even my month (saying a lot). That plus the return of SR-77!!!

I don’t think I could be more excited to see the return of IMperfect satin! Thanks for the early birthday gift (2 weeks, no joke... exactly two weeks!!).

If it keeps the price down, I’m in! A custom shop satin finish is beautiful, there is no denying that. Satin finish gets scratched up as soon as you look at it. If you like to use your knives like I do. A competition finish, big satin, or DC is a great user finish. I love the swamp comp. I would love to see a cheaper beater satin. Bring on the Rat Satin Finish.

Back