1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Rattle Hawk or Sniper Hawk?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Beckerhead83, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Beckerhead83

Beckerhead83

Nov 1, 2011
    Rattle Hawk or Sniper Hawk/ Which one are you buying and why? Also those who have tried both, what are the main differences in chopping performance? I'm on the fence here and looking to be pushed over. They are both awesome. If i had my way I would have the Kill Devil be the 17 inch 1/4 thick one and the rattle hawk the lighter combat/thrower just because of the grinds. I like the KD design but like the dimensions of the RH. I will be using this as a chopper/survival/bushcraft type tool, not to throw and go to war (although you never know). So what do yall think?

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I agree, that I prefer to have the longer thicker length.

The KD design has a more general purpose design from a utility stand point.

If I end up breaking down, I will be getting a rattle hawk, because I won't be getting both.

3. jball1125

jball1125

Aug 26, 2011
    First time I saw the rattlehawk I told myself "I have to get one of those"! I am kind of glad that it took this long to come out though because I actually ended up going for the KD. The RH although badass seems less practical for my uses, the rounded top where the edge runs through is going to lack biting power and the full edge is gonna prove to be quite dangerous IMO. The KD seems smaller (easier to hull around), and more practical. Although I admit it lacks some of the badass power, IMO the KD will perform better in the field. This is just my thoughts on some hawks I have not tested yet so Im not writing it on stone.

4. gga357

gga357 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2007
    2 hands..... 2 hawks?!?!?!?!

5. Beckerhead83

Beckerhead83

Nov 1, 2011
    I like your style :)

6. reddawn

reddawn

Oct 8, 2008
    i went for the kd.i think its more practical and probably alot lighter.

7. =MAX=

=MAX= Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 6, 2006
    What he said...

KD SH all the way for what I do.
    [​IMG]

8. darkaether

darkaether

Dec 23, 2006
    the weight difference is WAY less than I expected it to be. I wish I had a good scale. I just missed the mailman on my way out and I'm hoping he had my sheaths so I can have them out more.

9. Georgecatl

Georgecatl Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I ordered the Rattle Hawk today.
    All those sharp edges may be helpful in deer cleaning..........or then again, it might just be a bloody mess....me included:eek:

10. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    KD is 1 lb 5.2 oz
    RH is 1 lb 10.2 oz

but, isn't this a better subject for the Swamp Rat forum? :confused:

11. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Got both but haven't used either yet.
    In just handling both I prefer the KDSH, but everyone's different. I do suspect that as far as legality is concerned in PA., the RH does have more than one sharpened edge and may most likely be interpreted as "dagger" in that sense. Carrying daggers is illegal here. To me this means that a KDSH will ride in my truck during the winter season, while the other won't.

Probably. ;)
    I'll slide it over and leave a redirect here so folks can follow the link. :)

12. noeesp

noeesp

Aug 15, 2010
    You should get both I could not decide either and so I got both

13. Over Kill

Over Kill Banned BANNED

Jul 7, 2010
    If I buy one it will be the KDSH.

14. AZTimT

AZTimT The Stripetition Finish Guy Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    For a safe, buy whichever you think is cooler, or both. :p
    For a user, look closely at the edges in the comparison pics below while thinking of ways you might want to use them and follow your common sense as to which is better for you.

I love the Rattle Hawk for it's looks because it is the closest thing I will probably ever own to the hawk carried by the main character in the upcoming Assassin's Creed 3 game.
    I have no plans at this time to use mine though because just in holding it I have found 3 different ways to cut myself badly if I were to try using it with different holds.
    [​IMG]

Kill Devil Sniper Hawk on the other hand, allows me to safely use the various holds which make it much more utilitarian, yet would not feel at all unable defend myself with it.
    For a true survival scenario, the one least likely to cause you to need stitches where there is no doctor would be my choice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Beckerhead83

Beckerhead83

Nov 1, 2011
    Yea looks like I'm going with the KD, I'm gonna have a lot of fun this coming month after I receive the KD and the 1311:D. I'm definitely going use her. no safe queens in my house :) The way I figure it is any of my knives can be refurbished so what the heck. Thanks guys.

16. mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Jun 2, 2005
    i use all mine.
    i have a beaten rodent solution, ratchet, rattlehawk, and vex,

17. Maqua

Maqua

Jan 21, 2005
    I bought the RH just for the cool factor alone. :thumbup:

18. AZTimT

AZTimT The Stripetition Finish Guy Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    This shot compares the overall blade edge reach between the two, which is much shorter of a difference than comparing them standing next to each other.
    There is a also a BWM, Rucki and Waki there for size reference.
    [​IMG]

This shows a couple of useful hand holds for choking up. The one on the right is a variation of how you have to hold the top in order to dig with the butt of the handle.
    [​IMG]

19. Brummie

Brummie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a KD in the post. I am torn on the RH - thought it looked cool as soon as I saw it, but can't think of any real use for it, other than as a weapon, and I already have a Rucki to keep under the bed.

20. Hooker

Hooker

Jun 3, 2009
    Have both and the Rattle Hawk chops a little better with the extra weight and reach. But with the RH, I hooked a log with the bottom point of the axe side and twisted, and it twisted and bent pretty easily. Bummer to say the least. The KD will be the one to accompany me on wilderness treks.