Ratweiler Review!

snwbrdr202

Gold Member
Evening gents! I was fortunate enough to recently pick up a 2nd generation Ratweiler from a generous forum member. Due to the fact that the scales aren't half as gorgeous as my Rat Mastiff's, I decided she should certainly be a user! I can understand why so many Swamp Rat fans consider the Ratweiler a grail knife: great ergonomics, classic saber grind bowie shape, differentially tempered SR-101, and that old school Busse flair!

attachment.php

Spring time is just around the corner, and there is a TON of work to do around my house. My landlord had a ton of felled bamboo that needed to be split and trimmed, as well as a couple of tree limbs that had fallen from the last storm. I couldn't have asked for better weather today (Sunday the 7th), so I got right to work.

attachment.php

The Ratweiler's ergonomics made splitting and trimming the bamboo a breeze. The trigger looking finger choil & handle made for very comfortable "choking up" on the blade in order to trim, and yet the swell at the end of handle made for increased leverage when chopping. SR-101 is notorious for staying sharp and although I used the Ratweiler with the stock edge, it held up very well through the continuous slicing & chopping. I could even chop through a 1'' thick piece of bamboo with one swipe. I imagine with a freshly convexed edge, it could easily chop through two 1'' thick bamboo stalks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I next wanted to try the Ratweiler as a straight chopper. I found a 4'' or 5'' thick limb that needed to be split and moved from the yard. She made quick work of the limb, taking 1 or 2 minutes to get through. Once again, with a freshly convexed edge I would imagine it would chop even quicker. I have to say however that for extensive chopping, the Chopweilers handle is more comfortable IMO. The removal of the smaller finger choil from the handle allows for full utilization of the handle swell. That being said, the smaller choil DOES allow for more versatility.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I even took the time to baton through a few firewood logs. As one would expect, batoning posed no problems for the Ratweiler. The SR-101 heat treat is second to none. I find batoning with any kind of micarta/g-10 grip to be very hard on the hands & wrist, and the Ratweiler was no exception. For batoning or long chopping sessions, the Resiprene-C handles are superior. Res-C DEFINITELY dampens a hell of a lot of impact vibration transferred through a blade. Regardless, the Ratweiler excelled above & beyond expectations and proved itself by working its way though numerous knots with no edge damage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All in all, I am extremely happy with my Ratweiler. Survival type bowie knives initially attracted me to this forum in the first place. For me, this knife is the ultimate survival knife; a true jack of all trades. The only improvement I could think of would be to make a Ratweiler out of a more corrosion resistant steel. SR-101 is an incredible performer, but it does rust easily as most of us know. An INFI or 440C Ratweiler would be the ultimate grail knife in my mind, as it combines the versatility of the Ratweiler with the superiority of top shelf steel. I hope my review has been of some interest, and I will try to follow up with a Battle Rat review shortly! Take care and thanks for taking the time to read.

attachment.php

Last edited:
The RW... now you've got the sickness.

I concur.

As a doctor, I'd have to say he's entered Stage II. Hmm ... he must have the more virulent East Coast version of the infection.

I predict rough times ahead for this boy's pocketbook.:eek:

I am still trying to pick me up a Ratweiler. It is indeed a grail knife and I just want one as a user. You are lucky.

SR-101 is an incredible performer, but it does rust easily as most of us know.

You know, whether it was the RW I stripped and mirror-polished or the factory-bare Rat Daddy LE, I never really had a problem? A touch of a patina but never any real rusting.

The mirror-RW was certainly shoved back in the sheath for days at a time after batoning on a camping trip and nada. I'm not suggesting that you try the same but just that your-mileage-may-vary.

SatinGreen.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Nice review! :thumbup: That's a cool shot of the RW and the snake.

As for the 440C RW, I'd pass on that one. Now, if you see that mythical INFIweiler around, please let me know. :D

Thanks bro! LOL, no snake model; just a baby garter snake in the front yard. I literally live on a swamp, so there are TONS of snakes around on the sunny days. Maybe thats why I love Swamp Rat knives so much...:p

Nice review.
Did you hire a professional snake model for that last shot?

This is the old school ratweiler with the finger hump, the 2nd generation would be the chopweiler.

Great review & pics, the Weiler is a great knife.

Snwbrdr I sent you a visitor message in reply to the one you left me.

I would really like to get ahold of one of these. I have seen a couple unbelievable reviews of the knife over the years and can-t believe that Swamprat hasn't kicked a few more out in so long.

I did get in on the Ratganza for an RMD though.

This is the old school ratweiler with the finger hump, the 2nd generation would be the chopweiler.

Bodhi, there were two production runs of the Ratweiler. The first run, or first generation, of Ratweilers had beautifully machined micarta handle scales that really, for lack of a better word, "popped". The second production run, or second generation, had less interesting handle scales that were somewhat dull in appearance. So, when people talk of first and second generation Ratweilers they're referring to the earlier and later production runs.

Say Heah Boys and Girls, I always said one of my Fav 2knife carry is my Rodent 7 and the Rodent 4, as if I didn't care any about my Rodent 9 with my Ratmandu. I actually love that pair. It's just that with my R7 and R4 it's a little lighter and I have better control with the R7 and when I go with that combo, I wear the R7 on person as my belt knife. I know I prolly could get away using any of the knives as my belt carry. Interesting enough, I started using a large knife as a One tool Option because I'm a little tired to hear alot think a 4" blade is the best in the bush. I say different strokes for different folks. I started using my Johnson Adventure Potbelly, and recently because I did get my new Ratweiler so I switched to the Ratweiler. and I love it. I seen a video where a guy tied a long lanyard around his bicep so the weight of his large knife was supported by the Long lanyard, I don't have to anymore, That guy then just held the knife by the tip to do his fine work, The point is this. If you use a large knife ALL the time for everything. You Will get use to it and it will become second nature to use it. For that reason I love my Ratweiler, Yeah, it's a Beast, But it's put together in such a way that it can chop as good or even better than a larger knife, and you can work wood with it as if it was a smaller knife. Atleast that's my experience with mine. I seen that also on YouTube, This Tribesman carved out a Bow using what appeared to be some type of machete. Then there's the Say me Indigenous People that live by tgeir Leukos. Infact the children get theirs around the age of 7 years of age. So I figure I can get use to a large knife too, and what a better knife than my Ratweiler. Fortunately I got my Rodent Solution when I first got my 3knife carry which were my Ratmandu, Solution and the Rodent 9. Since then I incorporated an Axe and a saw instead, I still like to baton, But I find processing wood by Axe Tap and a Saw makes shorter work of it. But yeah, even though I teamed my Ratweiler with my Rodent Solution, I still carry my Mora 510 as my neck knife and I really use it alot because it's right there. But I do use the Ratweiler for alot ofthe work because I know a person can get use to using a large knife for everything just by using it. The Ratweiler is as good as it gets. Atleast that's in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back