Rawhide liner with Halftanned pouch for Fällkniven NL-4

Sheath for Fällkniven NL-4, Frej

Instead of using Kydex for a liner, this liner is made of pure Rawhide (Lappleather) , 2mm thick!!
Nature’s Kydex !! The outerpouch is made of premium halftanned leather with a thickness of 2mm..

It’s a very pretty blade, and it won’t see any extreme use, so I made this sheath from thinner leather then the Ratweiler sheath, but all in good proportions. It’s tough as nails.
I think that a traditional leatherhandled knife like this belongs in a leather sheath rather then one made with Kydex.

The outside of the blade is made of relatively soft steel which will scratch easily, so I guess this is a better option then making a kydex liner. Even the rawhide might scratch the blade a bit, so this is definitely not a sheath for a safequeen..

It’s a sheath that is very robust and, for leather, very weatherproof, yet comfortable and safe to use in an outdoor environment doing stuff like hunting and fishing, hiking and camping etc. It’s o.k when it gets wet every once in a while.

Because it’s folded, and due to the nature of the materials used the sheath is rigid, but due to the treatment with beeswax it’s not brittle. Everything has a slight flex.
This type of leather is very hard to puncture or cut through. This design gives maximum acces to the blade, which sits secure, even without a retaining strap. It shows more handle then conventional pouch style of sheaths do, so it’s easy to grab. The rawhide liner snaps the blade safe and easy into place.
When more safety is needed, you can always secure the knife with the retainingstrap.

The retainingstrap can be folded backwards and secured to a riflebutton to be out of the way permanently. After loosening the strap, it falls aside by itself, so you won’t cut it when resheating the knife. The chicago screw is secured with lok-tite, and between the strap and the pouch sits a teflon washer which secures smooth operation without working the screw loose.

The inside of The Liner is not treated with any wax, since it’s possible for dirt to stick on that. It’s better to keep it dry, and rinse it through every once in a while, and let it air dry afterwards. There’s a drainage hole to assist in just that.
The leather that is used is so dense that will take a long time to fully saturate it with water, therefore this is o.k..

The welt is made of a strip of the same piece of rawhide and is the same extremely tough stuff to cut through. The stitching will be protected for many and many years to come. Behind the welt of the liner there's leather from the pouch. By wetforming it with the back on a flat surface, the welt of the liner gets covered completely, so there's only a small welt in the pouch.

The Pouch and beltloops are glued and doublestitched with waxed tigerthread, using the saddlestitch method. All the stitching is sunken into the leather, so it won’t stick out, protecting it from abrasion.
All the edges are polished, protecting it from dirt and moisture, and all sides of the leather, except the inside, are treated with Sno Seal, which is mainly beeswax.
There is no stitching making contact with the blade once it’s sheated, so abrasion from the inside is impossible.
All the leather is treated with Sno Seal, which mainly consists beeswax.

Check the pics:

Rawhide sheath, after wetforming
SheathFrej01.jpg

The ‘cup’ of the liner
SheathFrej02.jpg

Parts, ready to be finished and assembled

-- --

Ready!!
SheathFrej04.jpg

High carry loop below the beltloop..
SheathFrej05.jpg

The retentionstrap closed
SheathFrej06.jpg

The draininghole
SheathFrej07.jpg

SheathFrej08.jpg

SheathFrej09.jpg

SheathFrej10.jpg

SheathFrej11.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Comments or questions are very welcome!

martin

Last edited:
parts ready to be finished and assembled
SheathFrej03.jpg

SheathFrej15.jpg

SheathFrej14.jpg

the litlle black stains you see are coming from the clamps I use :foot:.
I sure need to find some replacements for those..
SheathFrej13.jpg

SheathFrej12.jpg

the sheath weighs 104 grams (3.66 ounces)
the top beltloop will fit belts up to 7.5 cm (2.95")
the lower loop fits belts up to 6.5 cm (2.56")

Nice Day!!

Last edited:
Very nicely designed and executed. Your finish work is beautiful.....makes for a great first impression and also makes it very durable with even the hardest use.

I have zero experience with the rawhide and halftan you used. Your rawhide looks completely different to that which is readily available here in the USA, but I would guess the end result would be similar using ours. Have you ever covered the rawhide with veg. tan?

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I noticed this is not the same Rawhide. The stuff you guys have looks like the stuff they make the chews for dogs of. I guess that's what really should be called rawhide.
I got it from Brisa.fi , and they do call it rawhide, or lappleather.
It's extremely stiff and tough stuff though. Very much stiffer then 'normal' halftanned. It does have a little flesh, and the skin side feels silky when untreated. It needs to be soaked in water a much longer time then halftanned to become putty.

I guess it won't be long and I will be experimenting kydex, halftanned or lappleather liners, wrapped in veggietanned pouches. Veggietanned is cheaper and easier to work with, and the results will still be more then sufficient. I do believe in the Liner/Pouch concept, and will stick to that, but I need to check alle the options to find out what works best.

Have a nice day :thumbup:
martin

ps.
about the finish.
this sheath is made of the leftover piece of the Ratweiler pouch, and I found out that it reacts different on the sno-seal when it's not dyed. It seems to take less, and the feeling remains a bit "waxie". I like the feeling and the finish of the RW sheath way better. It is also much more resisitant to scratching. It's a great finish though, but not as good as the RW's..

Thanks Paul,

I noticed this is not the same Rawhide. The stuff you guys have looks like the stuff they make the chews for dogs of.

The 'rawhide" in the State's is the same as the dog chews as far as I can tell. I have soaked down the chews when a small piece of rawhide was needed before ever purchasing a larger piece.

Was the rawhide you were using dyed or processed to give it color?

The 'rawhide" in the State's is the same as the dog chews as far as I can tell. I have soaked down the chews when a small piece of rawhide was needed before ever purchasing a larger piece.

Was the rawhide you were using dyed or processed to give it color?

Yes. It's dyed.

SheathFrej13.jpg

But it is mainly made of the same stuff as the dog chews, and the yellow lines in this pic.

The layer of flesh is very thin, but a bit thicker on the skin side.
I'll see if I can post a pic tommorow.

Back