Real or fake original PM?

navyma2

Gold Member
I realize this question has been asked before about Spyderco knives, but I have a knife I just bought and have never seen one like it. I’m interested in the jimping in particular. I want to sell or trade it but don’t want to pass a fake off to anyone.

Opinions, please . . .

EC23996C-69E3-4403-896E-71364A7AAC7C.jpeg

F6DA307A-87DD-4F39-81B1-8F472E21D2CF.jpeg 52E6FC5A-32D3-42DA-B166-6DA33EFF2302.jpeg EF019A36-E88D-4EDC-908B-F260657F242A.jpeg 96BB0611-3492-42F1-9EC1-CC4F0CAE7782.jpeg

Last edited:
Jimping, choil, clip and the blade all look different than my pm2. I have no idea if that could be a prototype or something but it looks much different than what’s currently being produced.

Jimping, choil, clip and the blade all look different than my pm2. I have no idea if that could be a prototype or something but it looks much different than what’s currently being produced.
It's a Paramilitary, not a Paramilitary 2. That's why it's so different. As for if this is original or not, can't say. I just know it's a Paramilitary not 2.

dkb45 is correct. I jumped the gun thinking you were asking about a para 2. From you pictures I'd say it's an original paramilitary. Never owned an original version. It's been over a decade since I saw a picture of one. Lol!

I think it is real. Having the Phillips head screws and the Dino jimping means it is an early one.

I have the D2 sprint run which has the fine jimping and torx screws.

You can't be too careful with Spyderco knives nowadays, it seems they've become more popular with counterfeiters than a Rolex watch.:eek:

You can't be too careful with Spyderco knives nowadays, it seems they've become more popular with counterfeiters than a Rolex watch.:eek:

I was wondering about this. The PM2 is cloned probably more than any other knife in history, but are there issues with original PM clones? It seems to me that discontinued knives, and less common models seem fairly safe from cloning.

I was wondering about this. The PM2 is cloned probably more than any other knife in history, but are there issues with original PM clones? It seems to me that discontinued knives, and less common models seem fairly safe from cloning.
Yes, I'd say you are correct. Unlikely the original Paramilitary would be a counterfeit but to be honest I'm not really sure when the wide spread counterfeiting of Spyderco knives actually began or with what models? I do recall Sal Glesser stating there was a point when it severely damaged his business.

Back