Real problems or whining buyers?

Dave; I am talking about the aftermarket prices, since to buy one directly takes such a long time that it really cannot be considered the true price.

The OPINION I have is that the customs are overpriced. Obviously, a lot of people feel otherwise, as they are selling quickly at the aftermarket price.

It is just my opinion. Walt

I guess this is a situation not unlike the A-rod salary contract negotiations (to cite a recent example). Most of the time in this country, the fair market price is defined as whatever people are willing to pay (rent control schemes notwithstanding
wink.gif
).

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I thought the whining stopped....he said it was time for him to go last nite!!!!! President George W Bush.......what a pleasant sound!
smile.gif

Oh no! We've gone political! Forgive me, everyone. I just know we're about to get off the topic of this thread.

"W" scares the sh*t out of me. Let's see... he didn't have a job until he was 40. EVERY company he's owned/run has been driven into the ground (hello? US economy? Prepare to die.) If the 4 Supreme Court justices retire, he gets to pick the new ones. 'Bye Roe v. Wade, and Affirmative Action.

::sigh:: Gore may be "wooden", but at least he's SEEN the inside of the White House lately. In short, when people start bitching in a few years, don't look my way - I'm from Massachusetts.
smile.gif

Just my 0.02

See2, please don't discuss politics in threads in the general forum. OK?

Please address the topic everyone
smile.gif

See2, you been talking to Rebecca again? Maybe SeeU this weekend if you are in the studio.

To stay on topic, What do most of you do when there is a problem w/ a knife? Send it back to the retailer or to the manufacturer? Assume that you do want that model and are just not happy with the one you were sent.

Brendan, just cruising down the road of knife.

Wow! A guy from Scamdanavia rebuked a guy from Taxachusetts. Miracles never cease! HA HA HA

If you are buying a Production Emerson, you fast come to the realization that you are a big fan of his knives for one reason or another.

You can like the look and feel, or as I do, I feel they are the fastest deploying knives for self-protection. Meaning? The Wave Opening.

There are tolling costs involved in the following statement, but consider the following.

A CQC-7 on Emerson's site is $139.95

A CQC-7 with a Wave is $169.00

I am a fan of Ernie's, that does not mean that I cannot point out things I do not like, I'm not a robot.

I look at the liners on my 1998 Commander and wonder why the liners on the 1999 and 2000 cannot be that good.

I look at the liners on a Microtech LCC and that is about a $150.00 knife on the Internet, and wonder why and what the hell is going on.

Then I think to how fast the Wave is...how innovative it is...and I feel better.

I don't like everything and I am still a fan.

Ouch. OK, consider my wrist slapped -pointing - but HE started it!
biggrin.gif

As for the topic - if you buy online, and you get less than what you expected, you should return it for either a refund or a replacement. Some people might consider that too much of a PITA, but, if I'm paying good, big (sorta) money for a knife, of all things, I want it right, and I have the patience to get what I want.

[This message has been edited by See2 (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by See2 (edited 12-14-2000).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">(If Mr. Hollister sees me defending Emersons, I hope he doesn't have a coronary
smile.gif
)</font>

LOL Nah, I'm fine. Thanks for the concern though.
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I look at the liners on my 1998 Commander and wonder why the liners on the 1999 and 2000 cannot be that good.
</font>

Don I have to admit, the '98 Commanders are awesome pieces of work. I have an ES1-M, a Prototype Commander and several '98 Commanders. I can tell you that the '98 production Commanders are every bit as solid as the customs. Truly a best buy, if you can find them (as many have found out lately)

Edit: Let me also point out that there is nothing at all wrong with the current model Commanders. I got an email asking what was wrong with the 99/2000 models . . . <u>not a thing</u>.

They slimed it down a bit by makeing the scales and liners slightly thinner and changed the tip grind a bit. (The Commanders coming out now have gone back to the older tip grind)

I happen to just prefer the older, thicker scales.

The liners , while slightly thinner then before, are still thicker then most and look massive when compared to knives like the Boker Brend.
End edit

To all the Emerson (EKI) detractors. Please take a look at some of the new designs that they are bringing out now. Newer models like the SOCFK, the SARK, the Mach-1, ect. These knives are pretty much flawless.

Give Peace a chance.
biggrin.gif

John

[This message has been edited by John Hollister (edited 12-15-2000).]

You know when I started this thread I had three recent deals of my own in mind, and since I am still putting off ordering that Comander due to all the stuff in this post, not one of them was an Emerson. From first to last they were a CRKT with a bad liner lock, an MOD where the edge hit the inside of the handle when closing, and a REKAT with a damaged edge. All went back, two to the dealers and one to the manufacturer. Still waiting for final outcome on all three.

------------------
It is not the fall that kills you. It is the realization that "yes, you did something that stupid."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Hollister:
To all the Emerson (EKI) detractors. Please take a look at some of the new designs that they are bringing out now. Newer models like the SOCFK, the SARK, the Mach-1, ect. These knives are pretty much flawless.</font>

John,

I am more than willing to look the newer models over. However I will definately be more skeptical of anything in the Emerson line and it will take quite a bit to persuade me to purchase another.

Roy

Giving "peace" a chance.
wink.gif

Brendan... listen to me very closely... you're getting sleepy.. veeerrryyy sleepy... so relaxed...

you want an Emerson... you NEED an Emerson... You MUST HAVE an Emerson... go out and buy a damned Emerson...

biggrin.gif

Well two of the three knife problems I had are now resolved and I feel like much less of a whiner. Jim Ray of MOD included a nice note when he returned my knife. He couldn't understand the problem as I was describing it on the phone but once he saw it he knew what was wrong. They sent out a new knife, upgraded to a coated blade, that they had lubed and tweeked to perfection. The company I got the CRKT from sent a new one out. Just waiting for Pikuni #25 to come back. (Do you think it will increase or decrease in value if Mike T. sharpens it himself
tongue.gif
)

------------------
It is not the fall that kills you. It is the realization that "yes, you did something that stupid."

The customer isn't always right, but he is always the customer. If there is any doubt in your mind about a perceived flaw in a knife, custom or production, take it to the responsible party to make it right.This is a customer satisfaction-driven industry. The good makers amd manufacturers will tell you in a heartbeat they would much rather you bring issues up with them the walk away dissatisfied.If it is an unrealistic expectation,they will let you know that too.
I am still amazed that people(especially me) will pay several hundred dollars for a custom piece that will perform only marginally better than a production piece at a fraction of the cost. The difference is customer satisfaction above all else.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

Depends on the knife, I guess. Just went back and found <A HREF="http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum63/HTML/000045.html" TARGET="_blank">this post</A> in the Strider forum. Just from that I'd feel confident purchasing a Strider knife anywhere. I know that Sebenzas carry a lifetime guarantee, and from what I've seen in their forum they back it up, whether you bought the knife direct from them or through a dealer.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do...for a refund, go to where you bought it. For a repair or maybe a replacement, go to the maker/manufacturer.

Back