Reaper & edc1,2,3 comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnifex knifeworks

Gold Member
I'm not sure if anyone owns or has owned all 4 knives.
I'd love to hear some real world comparisons of the new reaper and the 3 EDC models. It could be any of the EDCs compared to each other or the reaper.

Speculation is fine, but please state it as such.

Let me know what you like, which is your favorite, and the why behind both.

(I did read the threads posted in the encyclopedia)

Looking forward to reading your responses!

I have a Reaper on my bench now prototyping a couple of sheaths. It’s not mine so I’m not posting pictures but I can tell you it’s larger than any of the EDC’s. The closest comparison IMO would be an original Field Knife or the new DEK2. With the pistol grip design think of it as a longer knife bent to make it shorter.

Ergonomics are incredible IMO and it would make a great daily companion. The CPK “dna” is evident but being Mark’s design it’s decidedly different at the same time.

Someday I'd like to get my hands on an EDC2, but I have a hard time believing is like it more, or even as much as the reaper. It's got to be one of my favorite knives.

I like the EDC2 better than the Reaper. I do wish the EDC2 had a longer blade, and I wish the Reaper had thinner stock. Since I can’t change either, that’s just how it falls I guess, the EDC2 is a great “smaller knife”, the Reaper is so close to the DEK1 that if I want bigger than the EDC, the DEK1 takes it due to the thinner stock and the little extra blade length.

Now, what I LOVE about the Reaper is the Loveless style improved grip. Makes my hand wet kind of love.

See, I don't see the Reaper and DEK1 as being (particularly) kindred souls either. Maybe it's just the way the weight distribution and feel of the grips work in my hand...but I don't think of them in parallel.

I like the EDC2 better than the Reaper. I do wish the EDC2 had a longer blade, and I wish the Reaper had thinner stock. Since I can’t change either, that’s just how it falls I guess, the EDC2 is a great “smaller knife”, the Reaper is so close to the DEK1 that if I want bigger than the EDC, the DEK1 takes it due to the thinner stock and the little extra blade length.

Now, what I LOVE about the Reaper is the Loveless style improved grip. Makes my hand wet kind of love.

I'm very interested to check out some other reapers in person

They are like tie dyed shirts they look similar but once you really look close they are all different!

I was suprised when you said the hollow grind on mine was thinner than the one you had

Also found out tonight from dericdesmond dericdesmond .... some have chamfered edges and some don't

See, I don't see the Reaper and DEK1 as being (particularly) kindred souls either. Maybe it's just the way the weight distribution and feel of the grips work in my hand...but I don't think of them in parallel.

Agree, I could see a better argument for the Reaper/DEK2, but not even sure I'd go there aside from Beefy and Tactical.

JMO & $0.02 - The Reaper is clearly the same DNA as the CPK Family, but I don't think it has a direct comparison, not a brother, but not a cousin, so a Half-Brother-Cousin... I actually had a friend with one of those.. :D The pistol grip is far different from anything else they've offered, and is arguably the most tactical.

I'm very interested to check out some other reapers in person

They are like tie dyed shirts they look similar but once you really look close they are all different!

I was suprised when you said the hollow grind on mine was thinner than the one you had

Also found out tonight from dericdesmond dericdesmond .... some have chamfered edges and some don't

Mark and I had a pretty extensive conversation on how to build my particular Reaper to ensure universal sheath fitment. He knew early on they were all going to be different and a boilerplate Kydex option wasn't going to work. My leather needs to be "within range" with a few critical points to be a universal fit. I have handle 8-10 now including mine, and they are all a bit different for sure, much like his one-off CPK grinds :thumbsup:

The only parallel I was making between the EDC, CR, DEK1 is approximate OAL and blade length, I don’t need to overcomplicate the comparison more than small, medium, and large (with the FK2/BFK representing the large end of 10” and under knives). So that puts the EDC in the small category and the CR and DEK1 in the medium category.

My CR was ground pretty thick including the edge bevel and I hated that I didn’t like it because I liked everything else about it, not one other aspect was wrong for me, god I loved that handle! When I had put the EDC, the CR and the DEK1 all together, the CR simply fell into a gap. All CR’s are going to be different so maybe my gripe isn’t too valid for the other owners, Yoko’s is fricken sweet and ground much thinner than mine was, his edge bevel doesn’t have the bulky shoulders like mine did.

Compared to my DEK2, I’d say the DEK2 wins all day against the CR I had for the medium-compact yet thick knife spot, it’s ground a lot thinner and I even pre-ordered it with a swedge and penetrator tip to make it “pointier” with that in mind.

The only parallel I was making between the EDC, CR, DEK1 is approximate OAL and blade length, I don’t need to overcomplicate the comparison more than small, medium, and large (with the FK2/BFK representing the large end of 10” and under knives). So that puts the EDC in the small category and the CR and DEK1 in the medium category.

My CR was ground pretty thick including the edge bevel and I hated that I didn’t like it because I liked everything else about it, not one other aspect was wrong for me, god I loved that handle! When I had put the EDC, the CR and the DEK1 all together, the CR simply fell into a gap. All CR’s are going to be different so maybe my gripe isn’t too valid for the other owners, Yoko’s is fricken sweet and ground much thinner than mine was, his edge bevel doesn’t have the bulky shoulders like mine did.

Compared to my DEK2, I’d say the DEK2 wins all day against the CR I had for the medium-compact yet thick knife spot, it’s ground a lot thinner and I even pre-ordered it with a swedge and penetrator tip to make it “pointier” with that in mind.
Dob you have pics or a measurement of the edge bevel/shoulders? I'd be curious to compare it to mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back