Reasonable bandsaw

Are there many places you can find bandsaws for metal cutting? Something that someone who is just getting started can get? Preferably not something that is a 1K+ machine.

The 4x6 horizontal/vertical saw style that Harbor Freight carries has probably cut out as many knife blanks as any other saw on the market. If you want a higher quality one, you could look into the Grizzly. Everyone seems to agree that they have better QC. You'll never find a Griz that matches the HF saw's price when it goes on sale though.

Harbor freight tools have never let me down. So as long as you arent doing production runs you should be fine.

The 4x6 horizontal/vertical saw style that Harbor Freight carries has probably cut out as many knife blanks as any other saw on the market. If you want a higher quality one, you could look into the Grizzly. Everyone seems to agree that they have better QC. You'll never find a Griz that matches the HF saw's price when it goes on sale though.

You mean it sells cheaper than the $250 it's showing now?

yes...you should be able to get it for about $189 if i recall and they are great saws once you put a good blade on them

Watch Craigslist if you don't mind used and you're not in a hurry. They come up there from time to time. One listed a few days ago in Honolulu for $75. I saw another a couple of months ago for $100.

The HF one is on sale for 189 right now through I think December 12, and there's a 20% off coupon in this month's Bassmaster and Popular Mechanics magazines that's good for any single sale or regular price item.

Maybe a porta-band type saw set up with a stand? The top of the line Dewalts or Milwaukee models are only in the $300-$500 range.
I just cringe when folks talk about purchasing HF power tools, simply because most of the time I know they will be buying another within a matter of months, after the HF model breaks down. I tried to save some money in the past, by purchasing a couple of HF power tools.... a bandsaw and a drill press....both were so poorly made that they only lasted a matter of months. I still purchase dinky "throw away" hand type tools from HF, but never anything beyond that.

I just got the HF one mentioned above last week. Toss the blade and order some Olsons from Tracy and it works like a charm. With the sale and the coupon Jason mentioned above it cost me $164. I have a batch of 17 blades I just heat treated, 7 of which I profiled with my grinder using 36 grit belts and 10 of which I profiled with the saw. Profiling and beveling the 10 took about 2/3 the time that profiling and beveling the 7 did. A bandsaw is very much worth the $.

Ed - I understand that many of their tools are junk, but why cringe when we have seen time and again that this saw is a very good one? I have never once heard of someone throwing out the 4x6 because it broke down. I've only seen one person here complain that theirs would not perform up to their standards. I get that you like the Dewalt saw, but I don't think you're being fair to a tool that has proven itself in our market.

The HF one is on sale for 189 right now through I think December 12, and there's a 20% off coupon in this month's Bassmaster and Popular Mechanics magazines that's good for any single sale or regular price item.

:thumbup: Good find thanks, there's a store about 20 miles from me that has it in stock at that price. I'll have to run out and get one of those magazines too.

Phil I check Craigslist almost daily for tools but haven't seen one yet. All the ones I'm seeing are for like $500 and up.

I got the same magazine. Thats the best I have seen it priced in some time. I paid $239 + $15 shipping on mine. Well worth it though. The blade deff needs to be changed, but for me...right now I just let it cut while I go play with something else and it gets the job done.

A new blade is in order though.

Congrats on your BS, very useful tool in the shop.

I got the same magazine. Thats the best I have seen it priced in some time. I paid $239 + $15 shipping on mine. Well worth it though. The blade deff needs to be changed, but for me...right now I just let it cut while I go play with something else and it gets the job done.

A new blade is in order though.

Congrats on your BS, very useful tool in the shop.

Guys I'm gonna run to the store today and look for one of those mags, just so I know what I'm looking for. Is it one of those cardboard like tear out coupon things or is it printed on one of the pages?

Fletch,

I get both the paper catalog and the online specials. Just go to the website and sign up for there mailing list....You will find plenty deals...specially this time of year.

best of luck,

Heres a pic of mine with a tray in front to catch dust and cuttings and a tray in back for other junk. Small table was attached with JB weld and put some cheap garage door handles on and all together it works well. Not the prettiest thing ever, but its solid, cuts well and was cheap.

- scrap wood and scrap steel under 20 bucks
- saw delivered with no tax no shipping was like $190
(with variable speed and a light)
- blade packs are under $20 for a set of 3

Larry

dewaltbandsaw.jpg

the HF4x6 is a great hobby saw

notice i said hobby i have now used up 2 of then inn the last 4 years and am getting ready to spend real$$$$ gettign a good saw

Well I'm still a hobbyist. Maybe one day people will be willing to spend 100's of dollars on a knife I made but I'm nowhere near there yet. I think I'm gonna go for the HF one unless someone comes up with a better deal, thanks guys.

Back