1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Reassembling a knife - order of washer operations?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by David Mary, May 26, 2019.

1. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Hobby time question: In knives that use both nylon/teflon and phosphor/bronze washers, I've always wondered if it matters which one is against the tang and which against the liner, and if so why.

2. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    I've never had a knife that used both, wonder what the purpose is?

3. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Spyderco does it in the Resilience, Cold Steel does it in the Voyager. Maybe other knives as well. When I first saw it I wondered if it was a way to further reduce friction. Both are pretty slippery materials, as is steel, so I kind of doubt it matters which goes in first, but I have noticed that all units of a certain model are assembled the same way. I seem to have the impression that the synthetic washer is always against the liner and the metal one always against the blade tang. "There must be a reason", or maybe there isn't...

4. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    The resilience has both? I'll have to disassemble mine and see. Both my Tenacious and persistence have 2 pb washers (with holes) on each side. Would be interesting if the resilience had 2 different materials.

I would say pb on blade side, nylon on liner side though.

David Mary likes this.
  5. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    it doesn't actually really matter which goes against which... either washer will slide against whichever surface has the lowest resistance/coefficient of friction.

David Mary likes this.
  6. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Are both type washers the same size?

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Put the washer on the scale and put a tiny drop of lube on the top. Spread it along the washer. Avoid it getting under it. Then apply the blade. This will help avoid getting lube all over and attracting dust etc, it will also help keep the washer spinning more than it should.

David Mary likes this.
  8. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Diameter, yes, thickness, no. The nylon washers in the Resilience are definitely thicker than the thin bronze washers they are paired with, but the teflon washers in the Voyager are thinner than their bronze counterparts - or at least their flimsiness makes them seem so.