Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

2015 Horizon High-end Series — (Horizon Ti & CF)

Manual open, Multi-row ball bearing system 3-D machined Titanium handle

Specification :
Blade Thickness: 0.157" Blade Material: Bohel M390
Blade Length: 3.75" Hardness:60-62
Overall Length: 8.74" Handle Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Clip&pivot Material: 6AL4V Titanium (anodized) Weight: 180g, CF: 155g
Locking: Frame Lock

Hi guys, here are some brief introduction of Horizon-D (Horizon Ti & CF)

We use flat grinding instead of hollow grinding, which makes the blade stronger. The process of blade surface finishing, the satin finishing, the brushing of the upper part and finely honing of the flute are all done by hand. The line on handle beautifully matches the flute on blade when flipping open. The decorative pattern on the clamp can prevent slippery as well as a shining piont of this knife.

cf_zpsq85uwssq.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_ti_zpshdjsuxkn.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

Now let’s take a look to the small parts. All screws were newly custom made for Reate, all stainless steel and high strength with smoothand bright surface. The pillars were upgraded to 6AL4V titanium with golden anodizing.

ti_zpsqot8dzp1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cf1_zpsobrqcuyn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

t12_zpsfdd8wsl0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now let’s see the inside. We make important changes for the inside structure.

Ball Bearing System

As for the most important part of the knife,we constantly strive for better. In Horizon-D,we use the newly developed multi-row ball bearing,36 beads, and of curse still black ceramic beads,
high-strength and never get rusty. And it is no need to talk about the advantage of multi-row ball bearing, you know it.

IMG_6534_zpsjmszifly.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spare parts for Horizon-D

IMG_8705_zpsrnohuxdx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reate Knives would like to talk a little bit about one important technique—Freeze Edging Skill

As the final process for a blade, edging has a great effect on the performance of the knives, after all, the edge part is the main function area when using a knife. Normally, edging is operated on a high-speed running grinding wheel or grinding belt, which produces a very high temperature. Without a cooling system, the temperature on the edge goes up instantly to hundreds of centigrade, when it gets worse, it will burn and leave heat marks on the blade. Tempering or even annealing will happen on area of the edge where the temperature increasing instantly. It will harm the hardness and durability of the blade. That’s why some knives passing the hardness standard test but still easily get worn in actual use.

Reate Knives are using the freeze edging technique. During grinding, the temperature on the edge is controlled in a certain level of degree, which helps keep the hardness after the heat treating. Therefore, the sharpness and durability of the blade are assured. This helps bring the performance of the material to the best.

841_zpsd4pl0ppy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TiampCF_zpsytzfhpui.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These look beautiful!

If I can ask a slightly off-topic question: do you guys have any plans on introducing a folder with a sub-3.5" blade at some point in the future? The reason I ask is that I recently purchased a Reate-built Liong Mah-designed Warrior One, and love the smaller size. I think something like a mini Horizon or a mini District 9 would be in huge demand if it were made.

Thanks for making great knives.

I have to get my hands on one of these... That's incredible.

Those are beautiful knives. Premium materials, great design and really pushing the technology envelope. This is what Chinese companies should strive for.

Not to mention... TIP UP!

Okay so now you have my attention!
Now the important question... Release date?!???

The Horizon D CF is just what I've been waiting for, but could you give the ti scale a bronze anodizing? That would really set it off for me.

[video=youtube;bb1LMoKca80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1LMoKca80[/video]

I like both of them. But i have to make one criticism and others may or may not disagree. I love the fact that you have added Titanium hardware but I really dont care for the "timascus" like pattern. To me materials that are made to only look like other materials is something you would expect to see i lower end knives. Like plastic made to look like carbon fiber or etched patterns on blades to make them look like damascus when they really arent. These are obviously meant to be a higher tier version of existing models but If I were to buy one I would much rather see the hardware available in a range of colors to suit the individuals tastes rather than a pattern that is used to make the material look like something its not. Hell you could even sell the knives with standard steel hardware but sell all the titanium stuff as a way to personalize your knife and order a "dress up" kit. But if the only option for these is to have titanium parts made to look like timascus I would have to pass on them. Apologies, it to me just doesnt jive with high end knives.

Look great David. I too would prefer options on the colors of the clips and pivot.

The anodizing looks ok to me on the clip, but bad on the pivot.

Really digging these high-end Horizon-D models.

In my opinion, strong candidates for Knife of the Year or Import Knife of the Year awards at Blade Show next month. Reate is certainly one of the higher end manufacturers in terms of quality.

I like the Mascus accents in pictures but won't know until my CF comes in next week. At 5.5 ounces the CF weighs just right for a 3.75" blade.

Horizon-D, at $400, is going to run about $150 more than the Horizon-C so I think it'll have a limited audience.

Note: You need pictures of the CF lock side and the backspacer.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to pass at $400.
But I wish I didn't have to. The Horizon C is easily my favorite in my collection.
I'm not a huge CF fan.

Congrats to all who scored one from FHCK.com this afternoon.

Reate continues to really impress me and in my opinion is gonna take the industry by storm in 2015/2016. Still got my eye on that darkwashed Hills :)

I believe the lock side is the same on both models, yeah....?
First pic in this topic is both sides of the CF version. Notice the pivot

Really digging these high-end Horizon-D models.

In my opinion, strong candidates for Knife of the Year or Import Knife of the Year awards at Blade Show next month. Reate is certainly one of the higher end manufacturers in terms of quality.

I like the Mascus accents in pictures but won't know until my CF comes in next week. At 5.5 ounces the CF weighs just right for a 3.75" blade.

Horizon-D, at $400, is going to run about $150 more than the Horizon-C so I think it'll have a limited audience.

My only reason for not liking the timascus parts is because it isnt really timascus. Its a nifty anodizing trick. It reminds me of other simulated materials which i really cant equate to high end no matter how good it looks.

My only reason for not liking the timascus parts is because it isnt really timascus. Its a nifty anodizing trick. It reminds me of other simulated materials which i really cant equate to high end no matter how good it looks.

I agree. I like creative ano patterns, but I don't like when they appear to mimic timascus.

Edit to add:
But these knives still do look amazing. Judging by fort henry, it looks like I already missed the party on these :eek: I was hoping to buy a warrior one, but after seeing these I might have to go for a horizon.

Back