Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

Where are you finding the Remedy? Are there more pictures available? Thanks.

It's all on Liong Mah's Instagram page, he's the one who commissioned the knife. Pre-orders should be up on Friday on his website, they're due in a week or two. He's got plenty of photos and videos on his IG page of it. Plus Jim Skelton will likely make a video on his soon.

Liong Mah Remedy by Reate.

11377935_1647632805455864_1920895000_n.jpg

I think the price point of this knife will be critical, being that it looks a lot like the LionSteel TRE which just landed at $300 in Ti and CF and at $200 in G10. If the price is competitive with those, I'll probably pick one up.

EDIT: I just realized that the blade on the Remedy is about 3/4" longer so maybe not that equal to the TRE...

I think the price point of this knife will be critical, being that it looks a lot like the LionSteel TRE which just landed at $300 in Ti and CF and at $200 in G10. If the price is competitive with those, I'll probably pick one up.

EDIT: I just realized that the blade on the Remedy is about 3/4" longer so maybe not that equal to the TRE...

Even the shorter liong mah reate was $350 and it is closer in size to the tre. This is the same price.

I don't see the value then. I wish Reate would come back with some high-value blades. That's not to say they shouldn't do high-end stuff too, I've pre-ordered the Begg Steel Series kwaiken, I just think they've lost their identity. i actually think the Begg collab IS high value given that it takes $1200 to get into a Begg mid-tech. The Valkyrie was high value in a way given how few were made. The other recent offerings have kinda paled against the competition. I'm eager to see what price the next Reate only design hits the market at...

Just got a Reate Hills as my first knife from this company. First impressions are that it flips amazingly well. It has very clean lines and I enjoy the simplicity of the full flat grind.

Wondering if the Hills does not ship with an extras such as bearings, lock insert, etc?
And does anyone else have an issue where the stop-pin isn't symmetrical? I can see that it is pushed in a bit more on one side than the other.

Just got a Reate Hills as my first knife from this company. First impressions are that it flips amazingly well. It has very clean lines and I enjoy the simplicity of the full flat grind.

Wondering if the Hills does not ship with an extras such as bearings, lock insert, etc?
And does anyone else have an issue where the stop-pin isn't symmetrical? I can see that it is pushed in a bit more on one side than the other.

As far as I know, none of the knives have shipped with extra bearings or lock inserts since the very first Horizon's. Recently it has only been the races and a few extra screws. Those might only come with the higher end models, but you might be able to ask for them if you really want them.

I purchased a reate hills a few months ago and have used the blade frequently as my edc knife. The knife has developed up and down play when the knife is closed and when you move the blade up and down (For example if I deploy the blade halfway and rock it back and forth it rattles). I have tightened the pivot as far as it will and this doesn't make any difference. It is rock solid when it is locked up so that isn't an issue. Do you guys have any suggestions of how to get rid of or fix this annoying rattle?

I purchased a reate hills a few months ago and have used the blade frequently as my edc knife. The knife has developed up and down play when the knife is closed and when you move the blade up and down (For example if I deploy the blade halfway and rock it back and forth it rattles). I have tightened the pivot as far as it will and this doesn't make any difference. It is rock solid when it is locked up so that isn't an issue. Do you guys have any suggestions of how to get rid of or fix this annoying rattle?

This is one of the issues I have run into with a few knives coming from reate. I had one where the hole in the blade was actually drilled too big. There was a 1/16" difference between the pivot and the hole drilled for it and the only thing keeping the blade put was the bearings. I have also seen a couple reates with the detent issue where the blade moves in and out of the handle. Usually they can be tuned to eliminate that wiggle. The pivot issue is rather tricky to correct and requires making a bushing to take up the slack. Im not saying for sure your knife has the pivot hole issue. Just stating that I have seen it.

I hope it's not the pivot because I don't have the slightest clue on how to make a bushing. Thanks for the response!

I have the horizon b and district 9 and they are perfect,no problems, after about a year of ownership.I had a c model but got rid of it cause it was a satin finish and did not look very good, had an uneven and cloudy finish, I think they should stick with the stonewashed finish...

Has anyone else gotten a Remedy? I received mine on Monday, still hoping it breaks in a bit more. It's not the smoothest on closing, which is a huge change from the three other Reate knives I've owned so far. The pocket clip, in hand, seems like something that was designed without ever handling the real thing. It's pointy and its unusual placement is obtrusive and creates a hotspot. I would pay someone to make an aftermarket bent clip that is held in by the furthest standoff screw.

That's a bummer David, I haven't bought any of the Mah collabs, but the remedy is the best looking of the bunch.

That's a bummer David, I haven't bought any of the Mah collabs, but the remedy is the best looking of the bunch.

It was the first one to catch my eye. I was really looking forward to it so the unexpected flaws were made that much more noticeable.

Throwing a silly question out there but wanted to get your Reate guy's opinions. Was able to grab a Horizon A for sale earlier with the S35Vn blade and got to thinking which, in your opinion, are the most "valuable" Horizon A's

I know there's the first run with M390 and the old pivot

Then M390 with the newer pivot

Then like mine with S35Vn and new pivot (I'm told about 50 made like this)

And not sure if there was another iteration

I know the M390 is the superior steel but I would think the limited production of the S35Vn Horizon A's would matter to some folks? Maybe not? Either way let me know what you think. Thanks

Throwing a silly question out there but wanted to get your Reate guy's opinions. Was able to grab a Horizon A for sale earlier with the S35Vn blade and got to thinking which, in your opinion, are the most "valuable" Horizon A's

I know there's the first run with M390 and the old pivot

Then M390 with the newer pivot

Then like mine with S35Vn and new pivot (I'm told about 50 made like this)

And not sure if there was another iteration

I know the M390 is the superior steel but I would think the limited production of the S35Vn Horizon A's would matter to some folks? Maybe not? Either way let me know what you think. Thanks

my personal feelings are that the m390 with the newer pivot would be the most desirable. The old pivot was way too close to the pivot on the zt0454 for anyone's liking. But I still think the m390 would be the more desirable of the blade steels to a collector. No offense to you or reate but i felt the horizon A with s35vn blade was a bit of a step backwards. IMHO offering one of your premium models with cheaper steel and making it a limited addtion was not all that special to me. I personally would have taken the horizon B and given it the premium treatment or did a completely different blade steel to really do something different. But looking back on it I just get the impression that they made that knife to efficiently use up parts that needed a home. And with M390 not being readily available that may have been the reason for s35vn. Still there is a lot of cool unique steel coming out of japan and asia that we rarely see in the states. I think it would have been a great opportunity to do something in that realm.

Back