Recent Branding Leather Work Seen...

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We had our fall works last weekend. This is where we process all our adult cows and brand any youngsters. The adult cows are processed by running them through a squeeze chute and there they are given needed injections, worming and any doctoring that might be needed. The calves are roped to be processed as this is easier on them then getting hustled and bustled going through the chute. Saves em getting jostled around by the adults. Thought I'd share a few pics of some of our leather work being used. Outside of saddles and boots in these shots, if its leather, we made it.

So here's the cowboss (me) getting ready to sort. What we're gonna do here is sort off all the adults from the calves. We do this as slow as possible. Again we're trying to prevent the adults from jostling the babies around. In fact we did have one younger cowboy helping that we kinda had to shut down. He wasn't getting the go slow part. Literally trying to get as much as possible done at the walk.

c9GImhA.jpg

Our friend Tyler sorting some out.

fvE2Wl5.jpg

Nichole and I.

KbrRyE6.jpg

The girls. Nichole's mare Josie and Tyler's mare Dusty Rose.

9uW7qvS.jpg

After we got them sorted, I gave out assignments for work that needs to be done. I had Tyler, Gracie and Noah stay horseback. Their job was to bring 3-4 cows at a time from the holding pens down into the sweep and then into the alley. I had Lucia up on the catwalk keeping the cattle moving down the alley into the squeeze chute. Fernando was also up on the catwalk. He was applying the wormer to each adult as it passed by. Salty was running the chute, Nichole and Cara were giving injections and doing the paperwork and Steve was helping them. My job was to shut the sweep gate behind the cows but in front of the horses of Tyler and his crew. Timing can be tricky here so ya not smacking a horse upside the head with a big gate.

Salty squeezing one of the cows in the chute.

9i7TQYw.jpg

Nichole and Cara have the injection guns. I made Salty's knife too thats on his chinks belt.

eOCaabP.jpg

Giving an injection.

sdKTbP6.jpg

Up on the catwalk. Lucia and Brother Bill cussing and discussing. Brother Bill cooks for us but he'll come over and help as time allows. Lucia's belt was the only one on the place that day we didn't make. She has two on order.

Qhw5udg.jpg

Just some of the bustle around the chute:

MzeRVox.jpg

All done and taking the cattle down the return to the pens. A group had turned around at the gate and was blocking entrance for the rest. I'm jumping out and will go around to the gate. I turned that group and then Salty and Cara were able to bring the rest on through.

c7QYEk1.jpg

So now we sort the cattle off that have calves. We put them back in the big pen with the calves. I had Nichole and Tyler do that. Rest of us just wait. We want to know which calf goes to which cow so we give them time to "mother up". Salty, Lucia and Noah waiting. Noah is wearing a pair of Arizona Bell type leggings. I've only ever made two pair of this type of leggings.

196VQVo.jpg

After this sorting we'll take a little break and have some lunch. We had one cow that had twins. One of them had contracted tendons in his front legs from being tight in the oven, so he couldn't walk good. mom nature tells the cow to abandon a calf that isn't "right" so she had. We'd found him standing in some sage brush with his head down and about dead. We used the truck bed and brought him into the corrals hoping that his mom would mother back up with him but she didn't. So we named him Frank and he's being bottle fed three times a day. We brought him home built him a nice little house in a horse pen and he's doing fine. Gonna make it. Here Nichole and my daughter Alyssa are feeding him in the big corral.

mOmZe2y.jpg

So after lunch I divide up my ropers into two groups. Half will work the ground first and then about half way down we'll swap and they'll get up and rope and the others will get down. I stayed down the whole time as I loaned Alyssa my horse so she could rope. The ground crew will also help the riders spot a "pair" so that we know which calf goes to which cow. We've got two electric branding irons running so we're good to go when one is spotted. Here Noah and Gracie were helping spot a pair. I didn't make these shotgun leggings that Gracie has on. When she got up horseback she switched to a pair I'd made. These were made for her older brother and she found em heavy after a long day.

KRLw3gn.jpg

Noah and Gracie fixing the ropes after a calf has been headed and heeled. Made Noah's knife too.

nPeUMV4.jpg

Nichole comes out with one.

dMQPeKG.jpg

Alyssa grabs the heels and the ground crew will lay the calf down. Notice the slack in Nichole's head rope. If she doesn't give that slack at the right moment the calf won't go down. She's also give the calf some air. We always do everything as gentle as possible on these little guys.

HnQYABH.jpg

I swapped my ropers around. I let Alyssa stay up as she doesn't get to come out very often. She's a nursing student down the hill. Here's Gracie after she switched leggings.

Tob0VNX.jpg

Salty has one roped.

nWMyHtj.jpg

Nichole really wanted this bald face calf to be a heifer. But he wasn't.

7NYCRGb.jpg

Tyler and I handling the groundwork on a big one.

hTvoa8w.jpg

Well hope ya like our little leather tour of fall works at Rancho Dos Marcos. All of our pics were taken by Emma, a young 16 year old that couldn't join us in the work because she's recovering from knee surgery. She did a great job manning the camera.

Last edited:
We had our fall works last weekend. This is where we process all our adult cows and brand any youngsters. The adult cows are processed by running them through a squeeze chute and there they are given needed injections, worming and any doctoring that might be needed. The calves are roped to be processed as this is easier on them then getting hustled and bustled going through the chute. Saves em getting jostled around by the adults. Thought I'd share a few pics of some of our leather work being used. Outside of saddles and boots in these shots, if its leather, we made it.

So here's the cowboss (me) getting ready to sort. What we're gonna do here is sort off all the adults from the calves. We do this as slow as possible. Again we're trying to prevent the adults from jostling the babies around. In fact we did have one younger cowboy helping that we kinda had to shut down. He wasn't getting the go slow part. Literally trying to get as much as possible done at the walk.

c9GImhA.jpg

Our friend Tyler sorting some out.

fvE2Wl5.jpg

Nichole and I.

KbrRyE6.jpg

The girls. Nichole's mare Josie and Tyler's mare Dusty Rose.

9uW7qvS.jpg

After we got them sorted, I gave out assignments for work that needs to be done. I had Tyler, Gracie and Noah stay horseback. Their job was to bring 3-4 cows at a time from the holding pens down into the sweep and then into the alley. I had Lucia up on the catwalk keeping the cattle moving down the alley into the squeeze chute. Fernando was also up on the catwalk. He was applying the wormer to each adult as it passed by. Salty was running the chute, Nichole and Cara were giving injections and doing the paperwork and Steve was helping them. My job was to shut the sweep gate behind the cows but in front of the horses of Tyler and his crew. Timing can be tricky here so ya not smacking a horse upside the head with a big gate.

Salty squeezing one of the cows in the chute.

9i7TQYw.jpg

Nichole and Cara have the injection guns. I made Salty's knife too thats on his chinks belt.

eOCaabP.jpg

Giving an injection.

sdKTbP6.jpg

Up on the catwalk. Lucia and Brother Bill cussing and discussing. Brother Bill cooks for us but he'll come over and help as time allows. Lucia's belt was the only one on the place that day we didn't make. She has two on order.

Qhw5udg.jpg

Just some of the bustle around the chute:

MzeRVox.jpg

All done and taking the cattle down the return to the pens. A group had turned around at the gate and was blocking entrance for the rest. I'm jumping out and will go around to the gate. I turned that group and then Salty and Cara were able to bring the rest on through.

c7QYEk1.jpg

So now we sort the cattle off that have calves. We put them back in the big pen with the calves. I had Nichole and Tyler do that. Rest of us just wait. We want to know which calf goes to which cow so we give them time to "mother up". Salty, Lucia and Noah waiting. Noah is wearing a pair of Arizona Bell type leggings. I've only ever made two pair of this type of leggings.

196VQVo.jpg

After this sorting we'll take a little break and have some lunch. We had one cow that had twins. One of them had contracted tendons in his front legs from being tight in the oven, so he couldn't walk good. mom nature tells the cow to abandon a calf that isn't "right" so she had. We'd found him standing in some sage brush with his head down and about dead. We used the truck bed and brought him into the corrals hoping that his mom would mother back up with him but she didn't. So we named him Frank and he's being bottle fed three times a day. We brought him home built him a nice little house in a horse pen and he's doing fine. Gonna make it. Here Nichole and my daughter Alyssa are feeding him in the big corral.

mOmZe2y.jpg

So after lunch I divide up my ropers into two groups. Half will work the ground first and then about half way down we'll swap and they'll get up and rope and the others will get down. I stayed down the whole time as I loaned Alyssa my horse so she could rope. The ground crew will also help the riders spot a "pair" so that we know which calf goes to which cow. We've got two electric branding irons running so we're good to go when one is spotted. Here Noah and Gracie were helping spot a pair. I didn't make these shotgun leggings that Gracie has on. When she got up horseback she switched to a pair I'd made. These were made for her older brother and she found em heavy after a long day.

KRLw3gn.jpg

Noah and Gracie fixing the ropes after a calf has been headed and heeled. Made Noah's knife too.

nPeUMV4.jpg

Nichole comes out with one.

dMQPeKG.jpg

Alyssa grabs the heels and the ground crew will lay the calf down. Notice the slack in Nichole's head rope. If she doesn't give that slack at the right moment the calf won't go down. She's also give the calf some air. We always do everything as gentle as possible on these little guys.

HnQYABH.jpg

I swapped my ropers around. I let Alyssa stay up as she doesn't get to come out very often. She's a nursing student down the hill. Here's Gracie after she switched leggings.

Tob0VNX.jpg

Salty has one roped.

nWMyHtj.jpg

Nichole really wanted this bald face calf to be a heifer. But he wasn't.

7NYCRGb.jpg

Tyler and I handling the groundwork on a big one.

hTvoa8w.jpg

Well hope ya like our little leather tour of fall works at Rancho Dos Marcos. All of our pics were taken by Emma, a young 16 year old that couldn't join us in the work because she's recovering from knee surgery. She did a great job manning the camera.

Yep, great photos and well-written narrative. Lots of nice leather there, Dave.

Your posts always make me miss Montana ... working cattle ... and having wide open spaces to ride!

Thank you!
This city slicker really enjoys your "cowboying" posts.

Dave, is there anything you don't do well?
The knives, the leatherwork, the ranching.... and now the photography.
The photo under
"Here Noah and Gracie were helping spot a pair."
Is so good. It checks all the photo boxes, depth of field, rule of thirds, interesting foreground, middle ground and background.
Quality photos thru out, but that one is frame worthy.

Come on, fess up, ya burn the beans or something?

Kidding aside, thanks :)

Thanks guys!

Ebbtide Ebbtide nope don't burn the beans one of my specialties. Can't take credit for the pics. This is Emma back in April. Emma took all the pics last weekend.

DDbvkTd.jpg

She had to have surgery on that left knee and she is still recovering. She took all the pics that weekend. Most from outside the pen sitting in a lawn chair in the back of her pickup truck and she just turned 16. She does have a good eye for sure.

Hard, hot, dusty work obviously made easier by a great crew of friends working together! Beats the heck out of a 4 man crew doing it all. Folks choosy about how they do the job and what they wear doing it. Do it right or go home. Great handiwork as always Dave!

It has been a long time since I've spent a lot of time with ranchers but I have to believe it's still true what they say,
"The only thing dumber than a 2 year old heifer is 2 of them." :)

Well you tell Emma that an old advertising artist guy from Noo Yawk City says to keep shooting cuz she's got a darn good eye.

Will do buddy, Ebbtide Ebbtide . She'll be up Sunday to look at a horse (that paint that Gracie was riding). She hasn't seen the pics yet herself as she was shooting with my camera.

Hard, hot, dusty work obviously made easier by a great crew of friends working together! Beats the heck out of a 4 man crew doing it all. Folks choosy about how they do the job and what they wear doing it. Do it right or go home. Great handiwork as always Dave!

It has been a long time since I've spent a lot of time with ranchers but I have to believe it's still true what they say,
"The only thing dumber than a 2 year old heifer is 2 of them." :)

To elaborate Dan I've also heard it said "The only thing dumber than a cow is some horses and most cowboys". Dan of Bazz Clazz Dan of Bazz Clazz Thanks.

I gave up on phone cases R repairman . Change too often and too many protective cases out there that changes the size. Back in the old flip phone days though I had a heck of a deal going with em. Just two or three sizes for the most part and had a great pattern that was easy to adjust. Its kind of a cool deal though now but strictly for the cowboy world. If ya look close at Nichole's left leg in that pic where she is branding ya'll see that her smart phone is in her pocket of her leggings. This kind of a pocket is called a welt pocket but we've gone to calling it a phone pocket. Cool deal, its easy to make on a new pair and easy to retrofit as well on an older pair. We've done quite a few that way too. If ya look at the pic of Lucia talking to Salty horseback, she has one too on the leg. Thats the turquoise leather next to the leg plate. Here ya go in this pic. Nichole's is grey and Lucia's is turquoise. Always on the left leg so the rope doesn't run across it when dragging a calf.

ToqGRtu.jpg

Or on this pair:

hUWvhdA.jpg

Anyhoo ol Gracie is only 17 so she's not off the phone long enough to make her a pocket. She stopped by the shop yesterday to hang out with me for a couple of hours and was on her phone most of the time.

And I tought I had a hard day of work! Dave I just want to say your leather work looks to be Top notch and Emmas photografy some of the best Iv'e seen on this board, Great compsition and subject matter:cool: Great thread

I grew up working cattle on my Grandparents ranch for many many years and some of my fondest memories are from that period in my life. My Grandparents are gone now and I greatly miss them and those simpler days, thank you for stirring those memories up for me!
Beautiful leather work, I've checked out your website and will certainly have to get one of your custom knife/sheath setups soon.

Back