1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomendations for SMALL High Quality please

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Glenridgerich, May 17, 2018.

1. Glenridgerich

Glenridgerich

Aug 7, 2015
    Hello folks, I'm on a never ending quest for small single blade knives that are of the highest quality. They can be production (I already have GEC's, Al Mar's, Wm Henry's, etc.). Perhaps I need to go the custom route? Any suggestions regarding SMALL, SINGLE BLADE knives? Ideally, 2.75-3.10 in CLOSED length. Any (within reason) price. Thanks in advance and regards to all!

2. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Platinum Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I like this one a bunch:

[​IMG]

3. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I think WE knives or Reate have a really small knife called the hummimgbird that seems pretty nice

Rike knife does the hummingbird

Lapedog likes this.
  4. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Someone posted a thread just like this yesterday I believe. I saw a knife in that thread called the bestech zen. Nice looking little blade.

b00n likes this.
  5. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Andre de Villiers Mini Imp? There is also a wharncliffe one (the Butcher). Not sure if $250 is within reason for you.

[​IMG]

115Italian likes this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    What about a small Buck from the custom shop.

7. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I reread and made sure you said, "2.5-3.1" CLOSED",
    yup, you did...

Since you already said you have GEC's, W&H's, etc. I assume you don't mean more slipjoints, so it gets a bit tricky, as even 2.5" knives usually come in closer to 3.5" closed, but a few fit the bill...

Now, I prefer larger blades save for a small SAK and Leatherman both on respective keychains, so I can't comment one way or the other on any of these knives, but if I was looking for a small knife, these companies all (in my expreience), make a quality product I would trust and be interested in.

Rike Hummingbird = 2.25"
    Stedemon Vouking = 2.75"
    CRKT Eros 2 = 3"
    A.R.S. flip shank = 3.125"
    Lionsteel 8210d = 3.25
    Spyderco Techno = 3.45"
    Spyderco One Eyed Jack = 3.5
    Spyderco Chapparal = 3.6
    Boker Pipsqueek = 3.65
    Mcusta Bamboo: Bestech Imp & Goblin: Viper Voxnaes Lille: all = 3.75

FWIW, not having any really small knives, if I were in the market, my top picks would be the Rike & Lionsteel because they come in damasteel, the Boker in 3v, or the one eyed jack because it has a cool handle (if you play cards).

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. Chariotz4

Chariotz4 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 5, 2016
    @Glenridgerich At slightly over your closed length criteria is the Benchmade 482 Megumi. Single blade (2.48" S30V) and has a cocobolo and CF handle with a MIM backspace. It is discontinued, though you may be able to find some floating around still. As well, maybe not up to your definition of "high-quality", but it may be worth checking out the ladybugs/manbugs from Spyderco.

ETA: You may also want to consider checking out the Hawk and Osprey lineups from Al Mar Knives (2.5" and 1.85" blade knives). Blade steel is AUS-8, but they come in a variety of handle materials from linen micarta to mother of pearl.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Yeah, that closed length target is tough. I do like the Spyderco Manbugs and Ladybugs. The Baby Horn sprint is still available (I carry mine a ton). It's 3.4" closed, but really isn't much larger than a SAK Cadet.

NiceNife likes this.
  10. valknut

valknut Stuff and things Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
  11. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I like this knife. It has a lot of nice features, but have no idea why it costs $600...

HowAmI likes this.
  12. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
  13. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    Ricardo Romano makes some gorgeous slippies.

14. Glenridgerich

Glenridgerich

Aug 7, 2015
    Nice One! Thanks...May pick it up! Have you ever handled one? $250 may (or may not) be worth it!

15. vox801

vox801 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2017
    Spartan Metis

Lapedog likes this.
  16. Quiet

Quiet Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Another vote for the Olamic Busker. I certainly love mine.

17. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    No. ADV has a pretty good reputation thou. His knives are out of my price range admittedly.

18. Glenridgerich

Glenridgerich

Aug 7, 2015
    I just bought it!!! When it arrives I'll let you know what I think (I won't blame you if I don't like it haha).

NJBillK likes this.
  19. Glenridgerich

Glenridgerich

Aug 7, 2015
    Got it LOVE it! Look for my review in a new post coming soon!

strategy9 likes this.
  20. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 27, 2014
    Benchmade 756 sounds like it is right up your alley.
    28321266018_d43ba1c62c_c.jpg

Just read that you grabbed the ADV, I hope it works for you.