Recommend a nice, but ‘less scary’ edc knife for my collection

CRKT Pilar
A.G. Russell K12 (bone) or Medium Gents Folding Hunter (wood)

You've got a LOT of metal-handled knives. Time to mix it up a bit maybe.

I've seen some classy looking Southard mini tolks with inlays. Flipper though. I don't think the flipper on those sticks out very much, but I've never handled one.

Also, I know you said "no FRN", but consider a slip-joint Spydie from the Slipit family. I have a little Squeak that I just love.

The FRN is not tactical looking at all; its a lot more elegant. They're easy to close one-handed, too.

Im thinking about a medium sized model from this family next.

A Buck Vantage Pro (S30V) is a good choice too. This pic, from the top left has the Spydie Squeak, CRKT Pilar and small Buck Vantage Pro. (Cabelas Alaskan Guide edition) it does have a flipper tab, but you could grind it off, since it has a nice opening slot too. Lefty-hostile, though...

Lots of good suggestions to sort through here!

The mnandi’s are very tempting, just so much $$, so I’ll have to think on that. Also, I was reading that the newer ones are harder to open one handed?

Stuck on the one handed opening thing because it is just so much more practical. I usually do have a small SAK on my keychain and never use the knife on it because I usually have my other hand full, or it just seems like too much of a hassle to dig it out and fiddle with the nail nick to open it. Just spoiled by the ease of a easy open / close.

Kind of liking the idea of the pakka (sp?) wood dragonfly too, atm. Already have a titanium native and usually don’t carry it because it just feels a bit wide in the pocket to me for the blade length (just preference).

Still need to make it through the list of everything else recommended here too :)

Thanks guys!

Here's the A.G. Russell K12. Ti frame and clip, bone handle, 9Cr blade. Drops closed with the "front lock", once broken in.

Here are a couple of the Squeak, for size reference. I removed the clip and pocket carry it. Fits nicely in a coin pocket or dress slacks, and it doesnt get much more muggle-friendly.

On the list for when I come into money. That is a utterly beautiful knife.

Yes it is. I've been impressed by everything I've touched from the WE Knife factory. And Isham's designs, while out there, are becoming more refined.

I do like everything you posted... I think my goals of shrinking my collection are in jeopardy...
Well, the bright side is that you could probably get ALL of them for the price of one CRK... ;)

Traditional slipjoint.
Barlow
Stockman
Trapper (two blades on one end)
Moose (two blades on opposite ends)
Canoe
Scout/Camp knife
or Peanut.

AISfSAL.jpg

Another AGR fan here!

Been downsizing the collection a lot recently and trying to focus in on a set of nicer knives that I’ll actually carry instead of a million knives that I don’t use.

I have a small group of folders that I actually do carry regularly at this point, but the only problem is that most of them either have longer blades, or the blade shapes are a bit too ‘stabby’ (looking at you ZT 0450) for some environments.

Here is what I find myself actually carrying a lot...
View attachment 1061017
Large Inkosi - Usual carry
Benchmade Anthem - fidget toy
Spydiechef - Waterproof / foodprep
940-1 & Boos Smoke - Slim EDC if I need to carry IWB or have extra tight pockets. Will probably have to choose one of these to gravitate to more as they overlap
ZT 0450 - small light carry

So, given that selection, I feel that I am missing something that is more of a smaller gentleman’s type folder... or maybe not a gentleman’s folder exactly, but something with high quality materials, and one handed opening (so not a SAK / opinel)

Preferences:
1) More refined than tactical looking, so no G10, FRN, etc... titanium / wood / CF, something like that would be ideal
2) Not a big fan of flipper tabs sticking out.
3) slim in the pocket
4) One handed opening
5) Still needs a pocket clip
6) I really like more contoured handles and more ergonomic designs, as long as they stay slim in the pocket. The large inkosi fits me well.. on smaller knives I like the Caly 3 quite a bit too, but it is a big heavy and G10 ish. Am selling quite a few spydercos at the moment because while I like their ergos, most of the blades are all so tall that they take up a lot of pocket real estate.

A small sebenza maybe? what other ideas?
Going off of what I have experience with, my suggestions would include any small CRK (wood inlays if you want something a little more gentlemanly), or maybe even a small Spyderco with stainless scales. The Kershaw Leek might fit the bill too, but the assisted opening might add to the "scariness".

I will say though, no matter what knife you do choose, I notice that opening your knife with two hands regardless of what kind it is seems to consistently reduce the shock factor to onlookers should that ever be an issue.

Second the Massdrop/FerumForge Gent, BoosBlades MiniAero, and Olamic Busker...love my Busker and Mini Aero. I recently got the Monterey Bay Knives EZC...very classy. One of the little guys that I have been thinking about trying is the Isham Blackstar - maybe neat?

giphy.gif

Gif of one handed Mnandi opening in case you were curious. It's a newer one (Oct, 2016) and you just pinch the blade on either side where the cutouts are. You certainly can't flick it open, but if you want to you can still get it open pretty fast (under half a second once its in hand, counting picking it up I was still able to do it in under a second). If you've got the money its not uncommon to find them on the forums here for around $350, and getting them used you know what the wood will look like.

That said, it's hard to argue against the pakkawood dragonfly or Mcusta if you're looking for something closer to the $100 range.

Back