1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation for a good heavy set of throwing knives

Discussion in 'Throwing Knives & Knife Throwing' started by Bounty1, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Bounty1

Bounty1

May 6, 2016
    Hello all, I have been throwing knives for many years and have been through dozens of cold steel knives, several professional spring steel knives and more than I dare to count cheaper ones. I am looking for a really good quality set, preferably spring steel...mainly because knives I have owned in the past that were made out of spring seemed to last a lot longer. Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Just to add, looking for 12 inches or longer in length.

2. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Check out the Tru-Balance Knife Company.

3. Matt The Rat

Matt The Rat

Mar 20, 2018
    What he said. I've had a set of pro throwers and a Bowieaxe that I bought off Mr McEvoy in the mid 1980's and they're excellent.

4. vish

vish

Nov 23, 2018
    Wouldn't throwing heavy knives will ruin the target and accuracy for throwing normal knives? Just saying.

5. BullseyeBlades

BullseyeBlades

Feb 15, 2015
    Check out my site www.bullseyeblades.ca

Everything I make is made to meet IKTHOF regulations, and typically a 13"-14" blade is what the high level competitors are using. I use mill saw blades (8670) and its incredibly tough stuff.

6. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Meh. If you intend on throwing any knife, you need to practice with that knife. Heavier and longer knives are better throwers. Especially for repeatability.

With a few exceptions for really over built knives that have super warranties (like Busse) I dont tend to throw non throwers. (Again, a few exceptions).

I have an 18 inch bayonet that I've thrown for decades , that I've not managed to break, but most non throwers will break realatively quickly against wood throwing targets (smaller, lighter knives... daggers, etc, etc)