Recommendation for a Parang

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by SOUTHERN WOODS, Jul 4, 2014.

1. SOUTHERN WOODS

SOUTHERN WOODS

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm looking for a parang style knife that is lightweight and made out of good carbon steel. Anyone have a good recommendation?

2. jobasha11

jobasha11

Oct 9, 2013
    Take a look at the CRKT halfachance. Condor has a few parang options worth looking at to.

3. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Bidor parangs from Outdoor Dynamics Malaysia,Borneo parangs from Outdoor Gear Malaysia and O'Katz Handmade.
    All proudly made in Malaysia,origin of Parang.

4. bigghoss

bigghoss

Jul 27, 2011
    The new Condor Econo parang looks promising. It's a smaller version of their Bushcraft parang. I have a Gerber Bear Grylls compact parang and not surprisingly it sucks.

5. facablade

facablade

May 23, 2009
    I second for Bidor mine works great

6. erik the red

erik the red

Nov 15, 2009
    Bidor or Condor's bushcraft parang. I've got a bushcraft parang showing up in the mail tomorrow. I chose it over the Bidor because of the Bidor's rat tail tang and plastic pinned handle vs the Condor's full tang construction. YMMV.

7. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    I bought the Condor parang. Excellent sheath to match a great tool. Heavy duty but well balanced with a thick wood handle.

8. Brian Andrews

Brian Andrews

Dec 11, 2006
    The Condor Bushcraft Parang is one of my all time favorite tools!

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Bark River appears to be going to make a Parang. I don't believe they are available yet.

I have the Condor Village Parang and the regular longer Condor parang. Like both.

10. TedPalmer

TedPalmer

Jan 27, 2003
    plus 1

11. nepki

nepki

Feb 6, 2012
    Listen to this guy.. Plus 1

12. deltablade

deltablade Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    How could I get an O'Katz knife?

13. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    Well since you didn't mention budget...

I've got to throw in my dream parang from Daniel Winkler, the WKII Jungle Knife: http://www.winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=208

[​IMG]

Starts at $625 - that would buy you a case of parangs of each and every style from Malaysia :)