Recommendation for first khukuri?

Hey guys. Looking for a recommendation for my first khukuri. I’d like one with chakmak and karda. Looking to use it mostly in the woods. Splitting small pieces of wood, taking live limbs off trees, removing saplings (up to make 1.5-2”). Potential root removal from the ground as well. I carry an ESEE junglas currently but I think a khukuri will suite me better. This brand was recommended to me so I thought I’d inquire!

Hey there!
I think we'll definitely be able to sort you out with a khukuri for your needs. Overall the description of your tasks is pretty light duty which allows a lot of freedom in choosing a knife. The only outlier here is in root removal which I feel often involves enough prying, levering and digging that it would benefit from a full tang.
In what ways is your current junglas letting you down that you'd like the khukuri to perform better in? Better chopping power? Lower weight? Reduced length?
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Hey there!
I think we'll definitely be able to sort you out with a khukuri for your needs. Overall the description of your tasks is pretty light duty which allows a lot of freedom in choosing a knife. The only outlier here is in root removal which I feel often involves enough prying, levering and digging that it would benefit from a full tang.
In what ways is your current junglas letting you down that you'd like the khukuri to perform better in? Better chopping power? Lower weight? Reduced length?
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash
I actually don’t mind a hefty blade. It’s the control and chopping power really. I think having the blade straight with the handle doesn’t always allow for a controlled swing when chopping overhead or even at chest height. I also feel like it doesn’t have enough weight to get through some stuff. Splitting wood with it I doubt would go well. I normally carry a hatchet and the machete and even a folding saw depending on what I plan to do. The one thing I can say though is the junglas is ridiculously sharp so I can do cutting tasks with it easily.

Gotcha. Not minding heft is a good thing I would say. Full tangs can lead to khukuris which feel a little handle heavy unless the blade is bulky or longer. For example you'd be wanting to go for beefier or broader models (panawal, dui chirra with custom thicker spine, regent/socket, various customs) in an 11" length. A 13" khukuri will be a lot more tolerant of a leaner blade, profile or grind without losing a nice chopping feel which can often mean a more exciting or efficient blade in hand without loss of power. Any preference for modern vs traditional aesthetics or features like choils etc?

I love the traditional look. I don’t think a longer blade would bother me. The junglas blade is just about 10.5” and that seemed small to me but I think a 12-14 inch blade would lend well as long as it carries ok in the sheath. I’m hoping to have the ease of swinging a machete with the heft and chopping power of a hatchet.
But yes, as far as looks I really like the traditional look. It looks like it locks into the hand well and I love a patina on my blades. I don’t like the boomerang look of the Khukuri but also don’t like the super deep belly, if that makes any sense!

Is there a better way to contact you by chance email, text, etc? I see your lead time is about two months and I’d like to get on the books! Lol

Hearing you loud and clear- you can send me an email at customdesign@kailashblades.com if you'd like and I can help you out- keep an eye on this thread though as you might get some recommendations from other users.
Right now I'm thinking a 14 inch sirupate could be the ticket but we could potentially go for a leaner ground blade like the mutiny or pensioner if you're happy to trade a bit of rough use durability for added performance.

Just as an aside, Andrews communication has been great and he's been very patient! I've always been interested in Khukuri and this is my first time seeking out to purchase one. They've earned my business on communication and information alone. I've learned a ton. What i thought i wanted in the beginning of the conversation keeps evolving as he explains. Slowly whittling down (see what i did there) what i'm looking for. It's difficult to purchase over the internet and only having photos to go off of, so andrew is helping fill the gaps big time. Thank you!

Thanks for this thread, it's helping me learn the small details of where different models and configurations perform best as well. I was already considering something like a 14" Sirupate or Mutiny for a future purchase, this thread confirms I'm on the right track.
Jack

Thanks for this thread, it's helping me learn the small details of where different models and configurations perform best as well. I was already considering something like a 14" Sirupate or Mutiny for a future purchase, this thread confirms I'm on the right track.
Jack
I ordered a 14” mutiny after much going back and forth. Partial tang, micarta wrap, steel hardware. Kydex sheath. What I learned is a lighter handle gives more weight out front. It makes sense but what I mean is, you don’t want it totally front heavy nor do you want it balanced. A heavy blade balanced or more heavy in the handle doesn’t chop as well. But you also have grind and overall thickness to consider. And rat tail tang gets a bad wrap because of cheap knives but they also hold up well after much conversation and reading. They’re not like were used to here in the states.

I ordered a 14” mutiny after much going back and forth. Partial tang, micarta wrap, steel hardware. Kydex sheath. What I learned is a lighter handle gives more weight out front. It makes sense but what I mean is, you don’t want it totally front heavy nor do you want it balanced. A heavy blade balanced or more heavy in the handle doesn’t chop as well. But you also have grind and overall thickness to consider. And rat tail tang gets a bad wrap because of cheap knives but they also hold up well after much conversation and reading. They’re not like were used to here in the states.
I ordered an 11" full tang Ek Chirra last week, that should handle the heaviest work I'm likely to need it for. I also ordered a 7" mini to replace my large belt knife, that'll get carried and used WAY more often than the bigger Ek Chirra. I'm really leaning toward a rat tail tang with a longer, lighter profile for my third order, but it'll be a while. Something that performs best when used with finesse instead of just raw power (like a Sirupate or even a Salyani) I really want a historically accurate model that optimizes the forward balance and traditional... "feel" of what made khukuris so world renowned. I'm sure I'll probably end up ordering a big bruiser like the Fort William MK1 eventually as well. It's not a question of which model I want, it's which model I want next.

Back