1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for a Sheffield traditional pocket knife maker

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by GQsm, Sep 13, 2018.

1. GQsm

GQsm

Sep 13, 2018
    Hi,

I was looking at a Laguiole knife as I wanted an elegant and traditional looking none threatening knife for food and light foraging duties with history behind it. Then it occurred to me as I live within striking distance of Sheffield, UK that I could probably find something of quality and handmade where I could go along and actually speak to the maker. I am not well versed on the remaining pocket knife makers of Sheffield still doing this sort of work so was hoping for recommendations on who I could consider.
    My brief is,
    - Sheffield or Yorkshire hand made
    - A maker I can speak to and engage with regarding possible customisations including...
    - Would be a bonus if I could take in wood sourced by myself for the handle, if approved by the maker.
    - 3" or shorter folding pocket knife, legal for EDC
    - Traditional in style.
    - Good craftsmanship

Hope I have judged this is the correct forum for the question.

Thanks in advance. I am new to this area of knives so excuse any newbie faux pas.

2. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    The are none left. All the "Little Meisters" of Sheffield are long retired or dead :(.

3. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
  4. Shing

Shing KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2003
    I am near Sheffield but alas not near enough.

5. SV-97

SV-97 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 18, 2016
    Take a look at Michael May, I can't speak for his quality (yet) but am having something build by him atm. He's in Sheffield and continues the shop of an old traditional maker